Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Plans to Keep GS and GS F Going

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 11:57 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The new 3 series is pretty huge. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as big interior wise as the GS.
Just EPA government specs only, the all new 3 Series has 95 + 17 cu ft passenger & trunk, to old 2012- 4GS's 99 + 18.4 cu ft.
For comparison, the latest 2017-24 BMW 5 Series has 99 + 18 cu ft.

I've driven and sat in back of old 2012-19 3 Series - it's tiny inside - much smaller than 4GS.
New 5LS has capacious rear legroom compared to 4GS, and 4GS is much bigger, or at least noticeably bigger than 3 Series.
Old 08-26-19, 12:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Just EPA government specs only, the all new 3 Series has 95 + 17 cu ft passenger & trunk, to old 2012- 4GS's 99 + 18.4 cu ft.
For comparison, the latest 2017-24 BMW 5 Series has 99 + 18 cu ft.

I've driven and sat in back of old 2012-19 3 Series - it's tiny inside - much smaller than 4GS.
New 5LS has capacious rear legroom compared to 4GS, and 4GS is much bigger, or at least noticeably bigger than 3 Series.
The front legroom on both the 3 series and GS are 42 inches and 42.3 inches respectively. The rear legroom on the 3 series is 35.2 and the GS has 36.8 so the GS is decently bigger with 1.5 inches more of legroom. Whats weird is that the 3 series seems to be wider than the GS. interesting...
Old 08-26-19, 12:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Whats weird is that the 3 series seems to be wider than the GS. interesting...
because wider looks cool yet lexus probably designed gs to be ok on narrow japanese streets? or maybe tax regs.
Old 08-26-19, 12:31 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
The front legroom on both the 3 series and GS are 42 inches and 42.3 inches respectively. The rear legroom on the 3 series is 35.2 and the GS has 36.8 so the GS is decently bigger with 1.5 inches more of legroom. Whats weird is that the 3 series seems to be wider than the GS. interesting...
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because wider looks cool yet lexus probably designed gs to be ok on narrow japanese streets? or maybe tax regs.
If you talk to Steve LS, and even Spwolf - we will all tell you to actually sit at the front and adjust the front seat to your liking, and then sit in the rear to get a real "seat of the pants feel", because seating measurements are very complex, they can't simply be measured with a tape.
4GS rear legroom feels a lot more than just 1.5" more than 3 Series.

My old 3GS has short seat bases, and this makes interior feel more spacious!
On the other hand, my new 4GS has very long seat bases, and this can make interior feel smaller than it really is.
One of the ways the ES feels so spacious is to cheat by using short seat bases - to make the vehicle feel bigger than it really is!

3GS soft cushions sink to provide slightly more room, while 4GS firm cushions don't sink for slightly less room.

Coupes, sports cars, and Tesla sedans with underfloor battery packs - can all cheat with low seats, and ankles raised, and knees pointing to the sky for very unrefined uncomfortable long distance seating.
With a 4" high battery pack, to get proper seating position, Tesla must raise their Models 3 & S by roughly 4" aka: Bolt, Leaf and i-Pace.
That's why when people argue about sedans vs CUV/SUV tall wagens, I often think that the future will be intermediate - thanks to the 4" high battery packs.

Cars do get bigger and bigger with each generation, so best compare new 3 Series with new Toyota Crown in Japanese Domestic Market JDM.
Though nothing wrong with comparing new 3 Series with ageing 4GS.

Although cars getting bigger and bigger, they aren't actually getting that much bigger.
A lot of the newfound extra length is due to the new curvaceousness of the latest models.
If the overall length and width was maintained, the curvaceous styling would reduce the size of the new interiors.

Careful of wheelbase.
Most cars increasing in wheelbase for dynamic reasons, and the wheelbase is actually NOT equating to increased cabin length.
Eg new Corolla, Camry and ES - all with longer wheelbases, but actually shorter cabins, or at least less legroom than their predecessors!
New 5LS and new JDM Toyota Crown have dynamic front mid-engines which have totally swallowed the extra wheelbase, resulting in actually shorter cabin length!

I have a feeling my 4GS is narrower inside than my old 3GS, but the 4GS doors are so thick for greater safety.
New 5LS is narrow, but on the bright side, its doors are very thick.

CUV/SUV tall wagens are often wider than their sedan counterparts eg Corolla vs RAV4, Civic vs CR-V, Camry vs Highlander, Accord vs Pilot etc.
However, with the tall wagens, they are just "flaring" the wheelarches.

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-26-19 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 12:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

If you talk to Steve LS, and even Spwolf - we will all tell you to actually sit the front and adjust the front seat to your liking, and then sit in the rear to get a real "seat of the pants feel", because seating measurements are very complex, they can't simply be measured with a tape.
4GS rear legroom feels a lot more than just 1.5" more than 3 Series.

My old 3GS has short seat bases, and this makes interior feel more spacious!
On the other hand, my new 4GS has very long seat bases, and this can make interior feel smaller than it really is.

3GS soft cushions sink to provide slightly more room, while 4GS firm cushions don't sink for slightly less room.

Coupes, sports cars, and Tesla sedans with underfloor battery packs - can all cheat with low seats, and ankles raised, and knees pointing to the sky for very unrefined uncomfortable long distance seating.
With a 4" high battery pack, to get proper seating position, Tesla must raise their Models 3 & S by roughly 4" aka: Bolt, Leaf and i-Pace.
That's why when people argue about sedans vs CUV/SUV tall wagens, I often think that the future will be intermediate - thanks to the 4" high battery packs.

Cars do get bigger and bigger with each generation, so best compare new 3 Series with new Toyota Crown in Japanese Domestic Market JDM.
Though nothing wrong with comparing new 3 Series with ageing 4GS.

Although cars getting bigger and bigger, they aren't actually getting that much bigger.
A lot of the newfound extra length is due to the new curvaceousness of the latest models.
If the overall length and width was maintained, the curvaceous styling would reduce the size of the new interiors.

Careful of wheelbase.
Most cars increasing in wheelbase for dynamic reasons, and the wheelbase is actually NOT equating to increased cabin length.
Eg new Corolla, Camry and ES - all with longer wheelbases, but actually shorter cabins, or at least less legroom than their predecessors!
New 5LS and new JDM Toyota Crown have dynamic front mid-engines which have totally swallowed the extra wheelbase, resulting in actually shorter cabin length!

I have a feeling my 4GS is narrower inside than my old 3GS, but the 4GS doors are so thick for greater safety.
New 5LS is narrow, but on the bright side, its doors are very thick.

CUV/SUV tall wagens are often wider than their sedan counterparts eg Corolla vs RAV4, Civic vs CR-V, Camry vs Highlander, Accord vs Pilot etc.
However, with the tall wagens, they are just "flaring" the wheelarches.
The Tesla does have decent rear leg room but since you sit low, the knees point up for adults. However, the middle seat has no hump so my friends actually just stretch their legs in the middle if only 2 sit back there so it works out. The view from the back is nice as the roof is all glass
Old 08-26-19, 01:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Tesla does have decent rear leg room but since you sit low, the knees point up for adults. However, the middle seat has no hump so my friends actually just stretch their legs in the middle if only 2 sit back there so it works out. The view from the back is nice as the roof is all glass
This is yet another factor too.
Flat seats versus bucket seats.

My old 3GS has flat seats - especially good for 3 at the back.
While 4GS has bucket seat - which is good for lateral support, and less tossing around, but not good for 3 at the back.

Several years ago, myself and two friends test drove a Model S.
I don't know about now, but back then, the Model S has very flat seats with NO ceiling mounted grab handles.
Thus when the driver dumped the Model S left or right, two of us sitting at the back would be tossed around, and back then - there were NO ceiling mounted grab handles...
Old 08-26-19, 01:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Several years ago, myself and two friends test drove a Model S.
I don't know about now, but back then, the Model S has very flat seats with NO ceiling mounted grab handles.
Thus when the driver dumped the Model S left or right, two of us sitting at the back would be tossed around, and back then - there were NO ceiling mounted grab handles...
I did a trip down to LA with a friend who has a 2017 Model S 75D and I was bewildered that there is no 'oh *****' handle
Old 08-26-19, 01:33 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I did a trip down to LA with a friend who has a 2017 Model S 75D and I was bewildered that there is no 'oh *****' handle
And then my car has an oh-blank handle for the driver. And is a lot slower than a Model S. Maybe Lexus knows their customers a little too well.

Even considering seat-back shape, the ES still posts larger legroom numbers than the GS. Which means it would have more space even if the seats were differently shaped. It's a big boi. Not sure what a new GS would be, size-wise, considering even the LS trails the ES's legroom figure.
Old 08-26-19, 01:45 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by arentz07
And then my car has an oh-blank handle for the driver. And is a lot slower than a Model S. Maybe Lexus knows their customers a little too well.

Even considering seat-back shape, the ES still posts larger legroom numbers than the GS. Which means it would have more space even if the seats were differently shaped. It's a big boi. Not sure what a new GS would be, size-wise, considering even the LS trails the ES's legroom figure.
Even my '03 Explorer has those handles. I think its a serious omission from Tesla. I don't know if the new Model 3 has them.

I would assume a 5GS becomes a mini LS much like the 5-Series became a mini 7-Series. Time will tell if the GS can live. With the ES and LS being where they are, the next step is to see what the 4IS becomes
Old 08-26-19, 03:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

lexus is more subtle. if offers brown seats.
Old 08-27-19, 02:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lexus is more subtle. if offers brown seats.
Noble Brown or Flaxen?