Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GS F Destined for Collectible Status?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 07:39 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
GSF is a nice car but for $90k, it wasn't worth the brand cachet and performance. It's priced $20k too much. It handles well but it's slow for a performance trim.
Correct about the too-high asking price, I paid around 65k for mine (100k new in Canada) with 5000 km on it. IMO, for most people's hard-earned money, no car is worth 100k or more unless it's something that depreciates little over time or even appreciates.
Old 04-30-20, 08:03 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
GSF never should have been F car, but GS500.

Its way underpowered, overpriced, and ugly.
There is a reason nobody buys them.

Some other dislikes:
- can’t have custom independent settings for steering, engine, susp etc.
- Stock exhaust is really quiet
- Auto trans is slow. The 10speed in LC500 is much better.

Plenty of cars that are way better at $90k.
For what I paid for my 2020 new GS F, I found it to be a good deal. If you are paying 90k, you are doing it wrong LOL. Go find another car with as much alcantara and carbon fibre in the interior under 100k. It's a better interior than my M550i or 718 GTS. Carbon Fibre inserts, leather dash or alcantara dash are expensive upgrades on German cars. I know from purchasing them. It's not underpowered for a naturally aspirated V8. In fact it's one of the most powerful besides a few exotics. Road and Track named the most powerful naturally aspirated cars last Oct. It's on the list of the top 17. Along with the LC 500 and RC F. People buy these cars because they want a naturally aspirated V8. It's a different driving experience...sound and feel. Some people won't appreciate it. Some people only care about numbers in magazines. I don't consider them driving enthusiasts. Most of them would never even come close to using the extreme power they "say" they need while calling other cars underpowered.

Last edited by Frog98; 04-30-20 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-30-20, 08:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
For what I paid for my 2020 new GS F, I found it to be a good deal. If you are paying 90k, you are doing it wrong LOL. Go find another car with as much alcantara and carbon fibre in the interior under 100k. It's a better interior than my M550i or 718 GTS. Carbon Fibre inserts, leather dash or alcantara dash are expensive upgrades on German cars. I know from purchasing them. It's not underpowered for a naturally aspirated V8. In fact it's one of the most powerful besides a few exotics. Road and Track named the most powerful naturally aspirated cars last Oct. It's on the list of the top 17. Along with the LC 500 and RC F. People buy these cars because they want a naturally aspirated V8. It's a different driving experience...sound and feel. Some people won't appreciate it. Some people only care about numbers in magazines. I don't consider them driving enthusiasts. Most of them would never even come close to using the extreme power they "say" they need while calling other cars underpowered.
Most people don't need extreme power but many can appreciate it. There is a chasm of a difference in feeling between a 3 second car and a 4.5 second car to 60. If you are used to things like the M5 or CTS-V, then the GSF won't feel competitive and wasn't the point of the GSF to be competitive with Germany and their performance trims? Just seems like a wasted opportunity or a bad branding decision. I would have considered a GSF at $70k new...i even looked at used and there was barely any inventory. Even with heavy discounts, its probably an $80k car new which is still pretty pricey for what you get. But to each his own.
Old 04-30-20, 08:33 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Most people don't need extreme power but many can appreciate it. There is a chasm of a difference in feeling between a 3 second car and a 4.5 second car to 60. If you are used to things like the M5 or CTS-V, then the GSF won't feel competitive and wasn't the point of the GSF to be competitive with Germany and their performance trims? Just seems like a wasted opportunity or a bad branding decision. I would have considered a GSF at $70k new...i even looked at used and there was barely any inventory. Even with heavy discounts, its probably an $80k car new which is still pretty pricey for what you get. But to each his own.
I've owned 3.6 second car 2018 718 GTS and a 3.8 second car 2018 M550i. I don't notice much of a difference in street driving. For that slight bit of difference, the GS F gives me a much better sound and steering feel (vs M550I). It's just an all around better car! Numbers don't tell the whole story...especially to those who have never driven them.
Old 04-30-20, 08:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

As I said, more power to you. I would have chosen a GSF over most of its competition if I could have found one for cheaper. Everyone has things they are looking for in a car.
Old 05-01-20, 03:18 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

I've owned 3.6 second car 2018 718 GTS and a 3.8 second car 2018 M550i. I don't notice much of a difference in street driving. For that slight bit of difference, the GS F gives me a much better sound and steering feel (vs M550I). It's just an all around better car! Numbers don't tell the whole story...especially to those who have never driven them.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Do you still have the GTS? I am looking to add an older low mile 996 Turbo to my collection, another classic car
Old 05-01-20, 03:30 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I don't mind how the GS looks from the side, but the proportions are noticably not typical RWD. The wheel-to-door length is quite short and there's a fair bit of front overhang. It looks like it can't decide if it wants to be RWD or FWD. Similar proportions on the IS too. Is it just a design quirk of the N platform? Even the new Crown on the TNGA-N platform has more typical RWD proportions like that BMW:

Compared to the original 4GS, the midlife updated 4.5GS was a few inches longer on the same wheelbase, hence the front overhang looks a little long.

The new 2018-Onwards JDM Toyota Crown is about as long as the midlife refreshed 4.5GS.
However, the new Crown runs on a 3" longer wheelbase.
Hence the new Crown has a much shorter front overhang, while the front door is further away from the front wheel arch.

If we look hard, we will notice that the new JDM Toyota Crown has a deliberately shorter front door skin to accentuate the front mid-engine look.

However, be careful with this new GA-L or GA-N platform; call it whatever you like, but like the new 5LS, the JDM Toyota Crown's wheelbase is certainly 3" longer, but more for front mid-ship engine mounting for nearer 50/50 weight distribution for less weight on the front wheels to maximize front end grip - rather than the cabin being any longer at all for increased passenger space.
The biggest problem with Lexus is their air conditioned 200-way adjustable seats, which have much thicker backrests and seat bases - robbing valuable rear knee and rear foot room compared to E Class and 5 Series.

Somebody on the forum produced the composite below. I can't remember who? Bitkahuna???

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-01-20 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-01-20, 05:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what a world we live in where 470 hp and 0-60 4.6 is underpowered. Throw on a JoeZ exhaust and thats an easy 25-30 rwhp

people that are obsessed with numbers will never be happy, just go out and enjoy the damn car. Oh wait they cant because there's always something shiny and new thats .3234432424 sec faster

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 05-01-20 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-01-20, 08:31 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I didn't buy the GSF when it came out because RCF got such bad press, I figured its the same engine its heavy and under powered. Then GSF was again hammered for being under powered and slower than the germans. Then last year I went and test drove one and I was hooked.. It's so much fun to drive and I wanted to get one.

My friend has a Tesla performance PD100? its like under 3 sec and yes its insanely fast from 0-60 but very bland to drive. I wish they made Tesla little engaging with better interior; hopeful some day. Do I wish the GSF would smack the m5 or least be in 11s in 0-60.. yes, the MRSP is high but the interior and fit and finish is very good. I have another friend who is a BMW fanatic and had drove the car and I mean really drove it. He loved the car and compared to the e90 m3 which he owned at some point.

I have an exhaust on the GSF and I love what the car sounds like and you take it to back twisty Roads and you are in heaven.
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
what a world we live in where 470 hp and 0-60 4.6 is underpowered. Throw on a JoeZ exhaust and thats an easy 25-30 rwhp

people that are obsessed with numbers will never be happy, just go out and enjoy the damn car. Oh wait they cant because there's always something shiny and new thats .3234432424 sec faster
Old 05-01-20, 08:59 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Well using your logic - you can throw a stage 1 tune without any other modifications on M550 and get close to 100hp lol.
Without much negotiation one can easily get $10k of msrp on M550.

I say we stop defending Lexus - their products are very stale and in most categories not even competitive compared to MB, BMW and Audi. Therefore sales have suffered and models have been discontinued. GS is just latest in long line of Lexus models to die, others include- ISF, IS convertible, SC, HS, CT etc. RC is probably next.

GSF is not a bad car but its not that great either. I have driven it at Lexus events and on extended test drive for over an hour. The engine noise is its main redeeming quality. The value is not there and Lexus brand doesn’t appeal to enthusiasts that buy high performance sedans. To win those buyers- you NEED to set new benchmarks like Lexus did with GS400 back in the day.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 05-01-20 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-01-20, 09:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UZ214
I didn't buy the GSF when it came out because RCF got such bad press, I figured its the same engine its heavy and under powered. Then GSF was again hammered for being under powered and slower than the germans. Then last year I went and test drove one and I was hooked.. It's so much fun to drive and I wanted to get one.

My friend has a Tesla performance PD100? its like under 3 sec and yes its insanely fast from 0-60 but very bland to drive. I wish they made Tesla little engaging with better interior; hopeful some day. Do I wish the GSF would smack the m5 or least be in 11s in 0-60.. yes, the MRSP is high but the interior and fit and finish is very good. I have another friend who is a BMW fanatic and had drove the car and I mean really drove it. He loved the car and compared to the e90 m3 which he owned at some point.

I have an exhaust on the GSF and I love what the car sounds like and you take it to back twisty Roads and you are in heaven.
Have you driven a Performance 3? Its a far more engaging ride than the Model S which has dead handling feel and the chassis is completely numb. Of course the P3D is more 3 series than 5 series so not really a comparison to the GS. I feel they should have had an ISF for $60k and that would have done wonders for the brand. Far more people buy M3s than M5s because if you're going to buy sport, you want it a little lighter and more agile. Lexus has some weird segment logic when they release cars.
Old 05-01-20, 09:42 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A supposed performance car that costs over 80K IS underpowered. 4.6 is not impressive in 2020 it's just a fact.
Old 05-01-20, 11:41 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

I have not driven the model 3, I hear its suppose to be good. I don't like the way it looks weird proportions. I agree Lexus shouldn't have killed the ISF and maybe refreshed it. I LOVED the ISF when it was out, it was as fast as the M3 back in the day plus they fine tuned it every year.
Originally Posted by EZZ
Have you driven a Performance 3? Its a far more engaging ride than the Model S which has dead handling feel and the chassis is completely numb. Of course the P3D is more 3 series than 5 series so not really a comparison to the GS. I feel they should have had an ISF for $60k and that would have done wonders for the brand. Far more people buy M3s than M5s because if you're going to buy sport, you want it a little lighter and more agile. Lexus has some weird segment logic when they release cars.
Old 05-01-20, 11:43 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

you NEED to set new benchmarks like Lexus did with GS400 back in the day.
gs400 is why I bought a Lexus in the first place, it was beautiful and fast when it came out. It was the fastest 4 door car for a short while.
Well using your logic - you can throw a stage 1 tune without any other modifications on M550 and get close to 100hp lol.
Without much negotiation one can easily get $10k of msrp on M550.

I say we stop defending Lexus - their products are very stale and in most categories not even competitive compared to MB, BMW and Audi. Therefore sales have suffered and models have been discontinued. GS is just latest in long line of Lexus models to die, others include- ISF, IS convertible, SC, HS, CT etc. RC is probably next.

GSF is not a bad car but its not that great either. I have driven it at Lexus events and on extended test drive for over an hour. The engine noise is its main redeeming quality. The value is not there and Lexus brand doesn’t appeal to enthusiasts that buy high performance sedans. To win those buyers- you NEED to set new benchmarks like Lexus did with GS400 back in the day.
Old 05-01-20, 12:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I say we stop defending Lexus - their products are very stale and in most categories not even competitive compared to MB, BMW and Audi.
Clearly many here in car chat have... repeatedly and ad nausem.. NO manufacturer is perfect and none have the perfect strategy or products, Lexus included - not making any excuses for them and certainly there are plenty of improvement areas. However, I will post a reminder that many seem to have forgotten...

CLUB LEXUS IS A LEXUS OWNERS AND LEXUS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM.

Car Chat is where we talk about all makes and models and we absolutely welcome criticism about Lexus when it's done constructively and maturely. We love that former owners like the community here and have stuck around and continue to contribute. BUT, when that contribution is constantly negative and repetitive, when members do not recognize there are other totally valid perspectives of owners and enthusiasts who don't care about a 3 second 0-60 car but value a very different balance between performance, comfort, quality and reliability in their vehicles - it becomes an issue that needs to be addressed.

I've communicated via PM to many who have started simply to troll more than participate in balanced conversation and will continue to do so. More activity to come to address this concern and I'll ask if you want to discuss you send me a private message rather than take this thread off topic. RNM, your comment simply struck me as a very rude statement given the very clear focus of our community (it's right there in the name) that needed to be publicly addressed.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-01-20 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS F Destined for Collectible Status?