Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Advice: confusion on potential coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-19, 01:12 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 395 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
No, if the cap is working correctly on a cold engine the level will be at the low line. That's how the system is designed forget being OCD about it lol.
OK got it. Only wondering because the owner manual makes it clear that on cold engine the level should be between "low" and "full". I'm done worrying about this for now. Sincerely appreciate everyone's help and input (and saving me $1,500..!)
Old 11-11-19, 01:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

So have you moved on from this worry? I check my 4Runner for the brake and PS reservoir often just to be on the safe side. Just something I like to keep in mind, especially after my brakes had failed.
Old 11-11-19, 01:07 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So have you moved on from this worry? I check my 4Runner for the brake and PS reservoir often just to be on the safe side. Just something I like to keep in mind, especially after my brakes had failed.
I check the level about once every two weeks. It's still "low" but the level is completely unchanged. I need an oil change in about 1,000 miles so I'm going to ask them to drain my oil into a clear container to make sure no coolant is present. I'm driving worry free at the moment.
Old 11-11-19, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'm driving worry free at the moment.
That is good to hear. I am really happy for you
Old 11-11-19, 01:40 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

That is good to hear. I am really happy for you
Thank you - I appreciate the help from you and many others in various parts of this great forum
Old 06-16-20, 01:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Thank you - I appreciate the help from you and many others in various parts of this great forum
How has your coolant issue been? We recently discovered the overflow hose was frayed, and thus we were low on coolant. Our tank overflow did not move and looked fine and the temp gauge was operating as normal...but the rad was low on coolant.
Old 06-17-20, 05:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

One thing I learned last year, and keep in mind the Toyota cap is different (as is BMW). After doing my wife's GM water pump, I watched the coolant like a hawk, to be certain that I did not introduce any leaks from the job.

Maybe a month into it--coolant at full mark cold. Normal.

Coolant 2" above full when hot. Normal.

Next morning, coolant 2" above full when cooled overnight. HUH?

Asked around people told me air in system (wrong). So I spent $20 for a kit and bled the air (there wasn't any) figuring sweet fixed.

Same thing happened.

Did an extensive google search because what can't google solve? And found it's the job of the cap to allow coolant to return when cold (never knew this), and if that's not working, reservoir will be high and upper rad hose collapsed (this is what happened).

Not one person on a forum, nor in person, told me the above. Found some obscure article via google.

So other than finding an actual leak, looking at coolant levels can be misleading. Meaning it's not the root cause of an issue, it's a symptom or observation. My LS430 had zero coolant when I bought it, ah but this is a common tale with LS430s. Toyota has a 10 yr, interval on the pink coolant so nobody incl. dealers pay any attention.
Old 06-17-20, 06:24 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

How has your coolant issue been? We recently discovered the overflow hose was frayed, and thus we were low on coolant. Our tank overflow did not move and looked fine and the temp gauge was operating as normal...but the rad was low on coolant.
Happy to report my coolant issue has been a non-issue since I paid my indy $25 for a new cap about 4 months ago (re-reading this thread I realize I didn't post that update). So the same Lexus dealership that tried to sell me un-needed repairs on my LS430 10 years ago tried to do the same thing last summer (this "leak" was identified as I got my interior parts replaced under warranty). This is why I only go to that Lexus dealer when I have warranty work - I just don't trust them. When you aren't mechanically inclined and not overly knowledgeable about how things work, it can be easy to be taken advantage of... Luckily for me I'm so skeptical of this dealership that when they told me about the "leak" and the need for a $1,400 repair, the only question I asked them was how they diagnosed it. The SA said they saw coolant in the valley plate using a scope. So I just asked again, "OK, but how did you find out where the leak is coming from?" He said the leak always comes from the same place, so I asked if they specifically tested that area and asked for documentation showing how they tested it (pressure testing, etc). No answer, no documentation, just said "this is a known issue on certain Lexus models". I told him I wasn't comfortable spending $1,400 with no proof they knew where the leak was coming from and said I'd pass on the repair for now.

Fast forward about 8 months of me still being concerned about having a "low" level (documented in this thread) and constantly checking it, talking to an indy about it, talking to my Toyota SA about it. I needed an oil change and my Toyota SA (who I trust) was on a 2 week vacation so I took my car to a high end indy who used to work on my S5 and had done a pressure test on my LS saying there was no leak. Reminded him of the issue and explained everything again - an hour later he called and said I needed a new cap. 7k miles later my level remains at full.

Lesson: either know your stuff or know who you can trust!
Old 06-20-20, 08:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
So other than finding an actual leak, looking at coolant levels can be misleading. Meaning it's not the root cause of an issue, it's a symptom or observation. My LS430 had zero coolant when I bought it, ah but this is a common tale with LS430s. Toyota has a 10 yr, interval on the pink coolant so nobody incl. dealers pay any attention.
Yes, can be very misleading.
Old 06-20-20, 04:37 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Not one person on a forum, nor in person, told me the above.
Hey, we're not magicians! Your issue seems simple in retrospect.

I routinely replace my radiator cap and thermostat about every 5 years, or so, when I replace my coolant. It's not a lot of added cost or expense, doing it myself, and it might pay off big dividends if it prevents an overheating event.
Old 07-22-20, 07:56 AM
Santa01
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is interesting