Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Tesla doesn't go bankrupt despite losing money

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-19, 11:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But not Telsa S or X?

But is not significant. An E-Tron Audi still goes in once per year, just a like a ICE Audi. (I am trying to find the costs)
S and X are old. Model 3 is the new drivetrain going forward. Its significant when you state the BMW has a $7000 cost to maintain vs. my air filter I need to replace every 2 years. hahahaha. Audi barely sells Etrons so lets use the manufacturer with a 70% market share in BEVs please vs their first attempt at a BEV.

Edit: lets remember that the Model S/X have maintenance schedules being a 1st gen product but obviously, Tesla has learned a lot more since then. 1st gen learning attempts won't be indicative of costs going forward.

Last edited by EZZ; 08-27-19 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 11:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its significant when you state the BMW has a $7000 cost to maintain vs. my air filter I need to replace every 2 years. hahahaha.
But it is not significant, because most average cars are very cheap to maintain. We will have to with until the new Toyota Electric CHR and compare it to the gas version and the then the hybrid. You keep saying that dealer service is eliminated, but the E-tron and I-Pace models still go in once per year just like the ICE. Seems on the Tesla 3 is excluded from a yearly visit.
Old 08-27-19, 12:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

But it is not significant, because most average cars are very cheap to maintain. We will have to with until the new Toyota Electric CHR and compare it to the gas version and the then the hybrid. You keep saying that dealer service is eliminated, but the E-tron and I-Pace models still go in once per year just like the ICE. Seems on the Tesla 3 is excluded from a yearly visit.
Etron and iPace are first gen products so like the Model S/X, will have learning curves. When they learn, the EV is so simple, they won't need visits. All auto OEMs are in trouble because the Franchisers are gonna have a cow over this. The OEMs might recommend service just to keep these guys a float... hahaha. The customer basically gets screwed. Tesla, free from these encumbrances, will try and benefit the customer by actually stating what is needed for the cars.
Old 08-27-19, 12:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
how many threads are we on about Tesla and their either demise or success? Wasnt the understanding that there was only one huge thread dedicated to this topic?
There’s now 202 threads in Car Chat with Tesla in the title so it’s obviously the hottest topic and there’s no way it can all be in one thread.

this thread’s title is provocative so it’s gotten a lot of activity.
Old 08-27-19, 12:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,062 Likes on 2,574 Posts

If Tesla ceased operation tomorrow the impact is still profound, the EV cat is out of the bag no way to put it back.
Old 08-27-19, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
If Tesla ceased operation tomorrow the impact is still profound, the EV cat is out of the bag no way to put it back.

Cats, however, in or out of the bag, starve when there is no cat food. All those EVs will need charging stations. You either have enough of them or you don't.

And, of course, it has to be an adequate, safe outlet. Plug your EV into a flimsy or inadequate one and you could be asking for trouble.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-27-19 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-27-19, 01:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

But is not relatively minor. It’s an improvement, but your comments always say it’s nothing.

These calculations are often biased and inaccurate, because after 5 years, a Model 3 will be paying for at least 5/8th of a brand new battery pack - and how much are they? $20,000?
Old 08-27-19, 01:47 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
These calculations are often biased and inaccurate, because after 5 years, a Model 3 will be paying for at least 5/8th of a brand new battery pack - and how much are they? $20,000?
bahahaha. So after 5 years, I've driven the car near 200k miles? Tesloop has released a ton of information and most of their battery packs need replacement between 300-500k miles. In 5 years, I will have driven 75-100k miles so I've probably used 1/3rd of the batteries life. Sure I'll have lost ~5% of my total capacity but I'm not going to replace my battery because of 5% loss. Batteries cost between $5000-7000 per Tesla and should last 300k miles at least per Tesla (link below). BTW, the warranty on my battery is 120k miles. I will most likely get rid of the car before that with my 5 year itch.

https://interestingengineering.com/t...ound-5000-7000
Old 08-27-19, 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I think everyone has made their point. Sort of getting personal and baiting. This thread has gone downhill. Close the thread or perhaps make one mega thread that is permanent for all things Tesla.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-27-19 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-27-19, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I think everyone has made their point. Sort of getting personal and baiting. This thread has gone downhill. Close the thread of perhaps make one mega thread that is permanent for all things Tesla.
As the thread-starter, I agree.
Old 08-27-19, 03:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I think everyone has made their point. Sort of getting personal and baiting. This thread has gone downhill. Close the thread or perhaps make one mega thread that is permanent for all things Tesla.
As said, we’re not doing a single Tesla thread as there are already over 200 with Tesla in the title.

however, per OP, this is, thankfully, now closed.