Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Tesla doesn't go bankrupt despite losing money

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 08:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Yes, Model 3 is selling very well against traditional compact luxury, but these are still only early days: with backlogs, initial purchases, and government tax credits still available for a final 4 months big rush!
Long term, let's wait and see what happens with Model 3 sales.

Look at Model S.
The Tesla Model S previously averaged 20k-30k units/year in the last 3 years in 2016, 2017 & 2018.
Yet the first 7 months of this year, Tesla Model S sales plummeted to just 8,000+ units!

Ditto the Model X CUV/SUV tall wagon which sold 27k in 2018, but has plummeted to just 10k in the first 7 months of this year.

Presently, Tesla is in a very dodgy situation - purchased mostly by niche 0-60 early adopters who place less emphasis on the body of the motor car - so only time will tell what really happens to Tesla long term.
Right now, Tesla is neither a genuine success, nor is Tesla a genuine failure.
Right now, Tesla is merely in purgatory - for those who don't know, purgatory is an intermediate state - the final destination yet to be determined...
I can assure you most Tesla buyers couldn't care less about the 0-60. Hahaha. Most of them bought are the RWD long range or standard range model. They are commuters that want to save the world. Most Model 3 owners drive the car like a Prius in the right hand lane doing 5 over trying to be as efficient as possible. Very very few are the Performance model. I can count maybe 2 in my parking garage of over 50 model 3s. Rows and rows of standard model 3s lined up for the free electricity my company offers. Haha
Old 08-25-19, 08:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
He's trying to change the world, which is why Tesla has open patents.
Musk is trying to get the company off the ground. It is great that Tesla is allowing their patents to be open, but there is still tremendous risk in using Tesla patents, there are still restrictions against using them as well in certain ways.

He's trying to change the world
Lots of myth and marketing in ^^^

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-25-19 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-25-19, 08:52 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

First off if they ever introduce dealers in to the mix....Tesla may actually go into bankruptcy. Middlemen want their cut, and the way Tesla prices, where Day 1 M3 costs $30k, and then day 3 M3 is now $38k, its gonna get complicated and expensive really fast.

Second, I think its hard to continue the myth of Tesla being a failure as the status quo of Combustion engines has been disrupted. However continued success and viability is what you can question. Everyone in the industry wants electric, whereas at the time of inception of the Model S no one cared. Those shockwaves people saw with the Model X/S/3 were not there with the launch of Y. I think the next big thing of Tesla is bringing in more in house services such as insurance, renting out vehicles, taxi services, and of course automation.

Lastly, how many threads are we on about Tesla and their either demise or success? Wasnt the understanding that there was only one huge thread dedicated to this topic?
Old 08-25-19, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lots of myth and marketing in ^^^
You should do some more reading about Musk.
Old 08-25-19, 08:59 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Lol. Apple makes phones and computers. Car manufacturers as a whole will always outperform Apple at making cars.
How many computers does your average car have these days? You can always hire talent. Heck, the engineer leading Tesla autopilot hardware division up until recently has made ground breaking architecture with Intel, AMD, and Apple.

The issue with mfgs moving into unfamiliar spaces is more about setting unrealistic targets or finding a new way to do the same thing. I can hire the top guy from BMW mfging but he will ony work as much as he is used to and physically can. Folks at Tesla dont want go with the flow, they want things lean and quick, which is unreasonable in many scenarios in mfging.
Old 08-25-19, 09:02 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

You don't understand Elon Musk. He's not a traditional businessman. He's not trying to get rich, he's already rich. He's trying to change the world, which is why Tesla has open patents.
I hate to ask, but if hes about changing the world, why cant a person who owns their vehicle repair their own vehicle? Why must an owner only use authorized repair centers for everything?

Kinda seems like a similar policy with Apple Devices and the need to only use their network to get things fixed; in some case instead of repairing a single product and prevent harmful e-waste, you have authorized repair centers essentially throwing your old device and giving you a new one?
Old 08-25-19, 09:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
How many computers does your average car have these days? You can always hire talent. Heck, the engineer leading Tesla autopilot hardware division up until recently has made ground breaking architecture with Intel, AMD, and Apple.

The issue with mfgs moving into unfamiliar spaces is more about setting unrealistic targets or finding a new way to do the same thing. I can hire the top guy from BMW mfging but he will ony work as much as he is used to and physically can. Folks at Tesla dont want go with the flow, they want things lean and quick, which is unreasonable in many scenarios in mfging.
No idea what any of this is supposed to mean.
Old 08-25-19, 09:08 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

No idea what any of this is supposed to mean.
Its to clarify the idea that Apple is incapable of making a car, a point you made in earlier post. I think that its short sighted to think that a company with a huge cash reserve cannot afford to acquire talent to help its car venture in the future.
Old 08-25-19, 09:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I hate to ask, but if hes about changing the world, why cant a person who owns their vehicle repair their own vehicle? Why must an owner only use authorized repair centers for everything?

Kinda seems like a similar policy with Apple Devices and the need to only use their network to get things fixed; in some case instead of repairing a single product and prevent harmful e-waste, you have authorized repair centers essentially throwing your old device and giving you a new one?
Hes a control freak, and he wants to control the user experience and the lifecycle of the vehicles 100%. That’s all part of the “change”

Very similar to Apple and Steve Jobs.
Old 08-25-19, 09:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its to clarify the idea that Apple is incapable of making a car, a point you made in earlier post. I think that its short sighted to think that a company with a huge cash reserve cannot afford to acquire talent to help its car venture in the future.
You quoted me when I said, car manufacturers as a whole will outperform Apple at making cars. The entire industry will not change because of Apple wants to or can make a car, I am sure they can make a car. If you believe what I said is short-sighted, that is fine.
Old 08-25-19, 09:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Who says Apple wants to make a car?
Old 08-25-19, 09:16 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Hes a control freak, and he wants to control the user experience and the lifecycle of the vehicles 100%. That’s all part of the “change”

Very similar to Apple and Steve Jobs.
Or he made sure to take and use the most profitable part of a the old, evil dealership model aka service? I dont know, taking away the right to repair a your own vehicle, seems like a pretty non altruistic move imo.
Old 08-25-19, 09:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And Toyota or Mercedes or whomever does not want to control their user experience? or life-cycle of their cars?
Old 08-25-19, 09:18 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Who says Apple wants to make a car?
So called Project Titan
Old 08-25-19, 09:19 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

And Toyota or Mercedes or whomever does not want to control their user experience? or life-cycle of their cars?
If you break your cupholder in those two marques, you can walk up to the parts counter, pay for said part and be on your way. Tesla, nope schedule the repair, so you dont mess up the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Why Tesla doesn't go bankrupt despite losing money