Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Tesla doesn't go bankrupt despite losing money

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 05:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't understand the obsession with franchises dealerships. Tesla just has a different business model. They want to be like Apple and distribute their goods independently. They have the ability to do so now because of the ubiquity of the internet. The franchise dealerships solved a big issue when distribution and logistics were impossible for the auto manufacturers to do it alone. That was last century when that business model was established. Silly to adopt such an antiquated way of doing business.
Old 08-26-19, 05:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
They want to be like Apple and distribute their goods independently. .
Apple has company-owned stores, authorized reseller license stores, then there are all the regular retail stores that buy from Apple and then sell to the public. Costco wholesale also sells Apple stuff. I do not understand why Apple is always the comparison, they are nothing like Tesla.
Old 08-26-19, 05:51 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Apple has company-owned stores, authorized reseller license stores, then there are all the regular retail stores that buy from Apple and then sell to the public. Costco wholesale also sells Apple stuff. I do not understand why Apple is always the comparison, they are nothing like Tesla.
That is now. When Apple first launched the iPhone, it was the sole distributor of the phone. Then it partnered with AT&T, it allowed AT&T to sell the phone but AT&T took no profits and the majority of sales was through the Apple store. The comp is Apple in its early iPhone years. Elon wants to be Jobs
Old 08-26-19, 05:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
That is now. When Apple first launched the iPhone, it was the sole distributor of the phone. Then it partnered with AT&T, it allowed AT&T to sell the phone but AT&T took no profits and the majority of sales was through the Apple store. The comp is Apple in its early iPhone years. Elon wants to be Jobs
But that is just the iPhone, the first iphone was available at AT&T on opening day anyways. Many, many Apple products were sold through alternate vendors long before and after the iPhone.

Tesla's distribution methods should never be compared to Apple

Originally Posted by EZZ
Elon wants to be Jobs
I would rather have him try to be himself

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-26-19 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 06:10 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

But that is just the iPhone, the first iphone was available at AT&T on opening day anyways. Many, many Apple products were sold through alternate vendors long before and after the iPhone.I would rather have him try to be himself
Well it's the closest comp because Apple having their own stores is unique in its industry. No one else really has this kind of leverage in the electronics industry. When Best Buy sells an iPhone, they make almost no margin. They do a lot better when they sell Samsung phones because Samsung doesn't have their own distribution channels so can't negotiate the same type of deals.

They are also similar in that they both pursue a verticalization strategy. They both want to own the entire value chain from components all the way to end user distribution.

Btw, the Apple comparison is used by many equity analysts that follow the stock. It's a well known comp.
Old 08-26-19, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Apple has company-owned stores, authorized reseller license stores, then there are all the regular retail stores that buy from Apple and then sell to the public.
From what I've seen, the same Apple products are less-expensive at the independent retail outlets. I bought my MacBook Air, for example, at a Best Buy store. You can't do that, though, with a Tesla...you usually buy direct from the company.
Old 08-26-19, 07:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well it's the closest comp because Apple having their own stores is unique in its industry. No one else really has this kind of leverage in the electronics industry. When Best Buy sells an iPhone, they make almost no margin. They do a lot better when they sell Samsung phones because Samsung doesn't have their own distribution channels so can't negotiate the same type of deals.

They are also similar in that they both pursue a verticalization strategy. They both want to own the entire value chain from components all the way to end user distribution.

Btw, the Apple comparison is used by many equity analysts that follow the stock. It's a well known comp.
Apple products are available at many different places. My iPad, Mac, Apple Watch were all purchased (reluctantly) with price match from Best Buy. Apple does not manufacture, they use third party outsourcing. Apple, just like Tesla uses suppliers for many of their components. To get your stuff fixed, you do not have to go to an Apple store. So on and so forth.

What is comp about the two companies is that Tesla has and might have the unstoppable brand power in the future like Apple does.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-26-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 07:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what I've seen, the same Apple products are less-expensive at the independent retail outlets. I bought my MacBook Air, for example, at a Best Buy store. You can't do that, though, with a Tesla...you usually buy direct from the company.
You are correct. I agree with you.
Old 08-26-19, 08:30 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
A lot of people who were buying the Model S are now buying the Model 3

Pretty clear that Tesla is in fact a success lol. They’ve had a huge impact on the automotive landscape. It’s like saying Uber isn’t a success because they aren’t profitable. Uber has revolutionized urban transport.

For instance, it took Amazon 7 years after their IPO before they ever showed a profit, and they’ve had years of big losses since then also.
So in other words, the pool of buyers of Tesla products are not growing if you are saying Model 3 buyers are formerly Model S buyers. Secondly, I can't imagine why you would need a model 3 if you already have the Model S? I would tend to agree if someone have a Model X and want a smaller vehicle to runabout and get the Model 3 for that.

Ultimately, for any company to be successful it will have to eventually turn a profit, regardless of how revolutionary it is or how it changes the the industry. Investors will eventually want a return and will take their money elsewhere if they don't. No one, companies or investors, are in the business of losing money. Would you ever take a pay cut or pay to work because your company is "changing the industry."
Old 08-26-19, 08:34 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ultimately, if a company wants to get their products out there, it will need some kind of dealer network. Apple vs Android is a perfect example. While the iPhone is big in the U.S., Android dominates as the mobile operating system in the entire world simply because Google allows other manufacturers to include the OS into their phones, spreading like roaches. Apple decided it wants to go at it alone and has less than 20% of the worldwide smartphone market. Apple could have been the dominant mobile OS platform if they let other manufacturers use their OS and simply charge a fee. But that's digressing from why Tesla is struggling and has no money to refresh its products.
Old 08-26-19, 08:53 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Apple products are available at many different places. My iPad, Mac, Apple Watch were all purchased (reluctantly) with price match from Best Buy. Apple does not manufacture, they use third party outsourcing. Apple, just like Tesla uses suppliers for many of their components. To get your stuff fixed, you do not have to go to an Apple store. So on and so forth.

What is comp about the two companies is that Tesla has and might have the unstoppable brand power in the future like Apple does.
The comp is the verticalization strategy used by Apple and Tesla. They are the few companies on the planet that develop key components such as silicon, all the way to the actual build of their products. Apple and Foxconn co-develop the process to manufacture the iPhones (i'm in the industry). They both use suppliers for commoditized products but like to control key components to provide better user experience. They both own platforms (one in compute, the other EV) by offering the software, services, infrastructure, and ALL of the touchpoints related to the consumer. The only reason other products are sold in other outlets for Apple is for further reach but the vast majority of margins are kept by Apple. The other outlets barely make any money as Apple has immense pricing power. None of this matters as iPhone as iOS generate 90% of the value of the company so really, they are an iphone company. Tesla has modeled their business after Apple. Tesla's VP of design publicly stated that they mimic their stores after Apple.

They are not exactly the same as they sell different products but they take the same approach to monetization (and this is covered multiple times in analyst reports). I am not the genesis of this comparison...this is old and has been covered by the equity community for years. You may not think this is true, but there is a reason Tesla is valued as a tech company and not an auto company. Their very valuation is based on speculation that they can monetize an EV platform and not just cars (just like a tech company named....hmmm Apple)

https://www.investopedia.com/article...-different.asp
Old 08-26-19, 09:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota has vertical integration as well. So does many other manufacturers. Tesla uses third party suppliers just like everyone else.

For Apple, I remember them in the 70s, 80s and 90s and I remember them after they exploded. The very first Apple computers were made by Apple I believe. . Nothing special. Their products are OK, but their brand is very good.

I get everything you are saying. I like Tesla. Love the new 3 although they are way too expensive. My personal opinion is that consumers would be far better off with a traditional dealer models which would lead to lower and better prices and better services. I have been to the Tesla store, there is nothing about it that is better than a Mercedes or Lexus dealer. Just my thoughts. Competition is indeed coming which would put a significant strain on Tesla at some point

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-26-19 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 09:31 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota has vertical integration as well. So does many other manufacturers. Tesla uses third party suppliers just like everyone else.

For Apple, I remember them in the 70s, 80s and 90s and I remember them after they exploded. The very first Apple computers were made by Apple I believe. . Nothing special. Their products are OK, but their brand is very good.

I get everything you are saying. I like Tesla. Love the new 3 although they are way too expensive. My personal opinion is that consumers would be far better off with a traditional dealer models which would lead to lower and better prices and better services. I have been to the Tesla store, there is nothing about it that is better than a Mercedes or Lexus dealer. Just my thoughts. Competition is indeed coming which would put a significant strain on Tesla at some point
The manufacturers in auto like Toyota don't have the most important touchpoint however....the consumer. The dealers interact with the customer and this BY FAR is the most important touchpoint to own. Tesla and Apple completely control the customer experience and this is why they are compared.

Apple is nothing especial except for their iPhone. That single product is more valuable than Toyota, VW, Ford, and GM put together. Most of Apples entire valuation is based on that one product but its a really good product and Apple makes sure they completely own that customer experience from retail to software to services. Tesla wants to be valued as a Tech company and not an auto company so they are chasing the Apple business model. The auto business is really really crappy and valuations stink in that world. Its not a surprise they are chasing EV as a platform vs. trying to just be an auto company.
Old 08-26-19, 09:46 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,062 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by n134sky
Did u ever report those dealers to the authorities? Which dealerships were they?
Report to whom? Unless I have proof (video) what can be done? And even if there is video so what there have been many undercover stings nothing happens. If you're in Calgary I'll PM you the dealership(s) names.
Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't understand the obsession with franchises dealerships. Tesla just has a different business model. They want to be like Apple and distribute their goods independently. They have the ability to do so now because of the ubiquity of the internet. The franchise dealerships solved a big issue when distribution and logistics were impossible for the auto manufacturers to do it alone. That was last century when that business model was established. Silly to adopt such an antiquated way of doing business.
You don't understand, the auto industry cannot have anything different. Unacceptable. Have to do everything the way it's been done for 100 years if not we must complain bitterly and predict doom and gloom from every angle. How dare Tesla try something new.
Old 08-26-19, 09:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

i've never bought apple products from anywhere other than apple's website. just like i can (and maybe one day will) buy a tesla.

Quick Reply: Why Tesla doesn't go bankrupt despite losing money