Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus confirmed 2019 last year for GS300 (GS350 lives on)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 08:37 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Weirdly enough usually the entry level (FI-4 cylinder engines) mid size sedans are usually the hot sellers. I dont think Lexus can make any midsize GS replacement that folks buy in meaningful numbers. Folks didnt appreciate the more competent GS when it launched with a better frame then the 5 series, folks didnt buy the GS300 since its being EOL next MY, and folks certainly dislike the prospect of a Turbo V6 in the next gen......I guess they can try do an EV GS and see what happens there.
Old 08-25-19, 10:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The ES is a better touring car. Lexus doesn't need a better tourer. It needs a midsize sports sedan that has fire breathing capability with Lexus reliability that is cheaper than the German alternatives. The current GS styling isn't great (boring) and its performance is abysmal relative to its competitors.

I could see them get rid of the GS and put a tweener IS to compete with the 3 series and 5 series. I really hope Lexus goes the other way and offers a competitive GS remodel.

A lot of the IS owners are jumping ship because Lexus just doesn't seem to want to compete for the enthusiast market. They did this to attract younger buyers but instead of performance cars, they are going crossover heavy to attract millennials. It's a business decision I can respect as BMW, Mercedes, and Audi have really stepped up their sport offerings so why compete directly with the big boys. Toyota simply can't compete on performance engine technology anymore. They haven't made anything truly fast in decades. For this reason, I can see them killing off most of the enthusiast models.
The bulk of GS buyers I've witnessed in my area (northern L.A.) are nearly all executives driving to the office, mothers with kids in college or beyond, real estate agents, and seniors. In fact, there are four on my street alone (this and the last gen) and they all fit the same mold. Lexus built their company on refinement, luxury, reliability, and snob appeal. The previous GS takers may still be looking for all that with the current model.
Old 08-25-19, 10:23 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The bulk of GS buyers I've witnessed in my area (northern L.A.) are nearly all executives driving to the office, mothers with kids in college or beyond, real estate agents, and seniors. In fact, there are four on my street alone (this and the last gen) and they all fit the same mold. Lexus built their company on refinement, luxury, reliability, and snob appeal. The previous GS takers may still be looking for all that with the current model.
I agree with you but they upscale the ES so it now encroaches on the GS. Priced lower than the GS is the reason the GS can't compete on the terms you listed. GS only advantage is RWD dynamics. They have to make it a Performance car or something else to differentiate from the ES.

I honestly wonder if they decide to go completely bland, they will get rid of the IS too and just have appliances in their stable. Right now, they easily have to most bland product offerings in the luxury segment.
Old 08-25-19, 06:34 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The turbo four from Lexus is just not as good as the German turbo four engines in performance and fuel economy.

Never was really a fan of the bubble butt 2GS. At that time, just wanted to see a SC 300 with four doors. Ha.

Maybe they can bring the GS 300H over and sell it as the base engine.
Old 08-26-19, 08:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
Maybe they can bring the GS 300H over and sell it as the base engine.
They would bring the IS300h over before they ever considered the GS300h. Besides they dropped the 2.0T so the 3.5 could be the base engine once again.
Old 08-26-19, 09:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Weirdly enough usually the entry level (FI-4 cylinder engines) mid size sedans are usually the hot sellers. I dont think Lexus can make any midsize GS replacement that folks buy in meaningful numbers. Folks didnt appreciate the more competent GS when it launched with a better frame then the 5 series, folks didnt buy the GS300 since its being EOL next MY, and folks certainly dislike the prospect of a Turbo V6 in the next gen......I guess they can try do an EV GS and see what happens there.
That is only because the 4cylinders are priced the lowest and are the ones with the good lease deals. Step up to a 6 cylinder for the past few years and the premium is staggering so buyers often just end up with the 4 cylinder that they can afford/they just can't justify such a big premium. If given the choice for the same price or a much more reasonable premium I am sure most would prefer the 6 cylinders because they are so much nicer. The 4th Gen GS sold pretty well the first 3 years, sales plummeted after the 2016 "update" when it got ugly, prices went up, good lease deals disappeared, and it got slower for some reason. I think the turbo 6 from the LS would be a good powerplant for either dropping in the current GS or for a next gen, it would definitely separate it from the ES but it would only work if they didn't charge a huge premium for it, once they charge a big premium most buyers just lose interest and walk.
Old 08-26-19, 11:10 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
GS only advantage is RWD dynamics. They have to make it a Performance car or something else to differentiate from the ES.

IMO, there are more advantages that the GS has over the ES than just RWD dynamics. Being that its based off of a Camry, the ES doesn't really match the same level of refinement and luxury as the GS. The difference in material quality seems fairly obvious to me. You can't just look at stock images and say oh, yeah they look the same, because when you sit in both cars, and drive them, there is a noticeable difference.

On another note, I don't understand why Lexus just doesn't use the LS/LC platform for the GS. It should at least increase the economies of scale.
Old 08-26-19, 11:25 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77

IMO, there are more advantages that the GS has over the ES than just RWD dynamics. Being that its based off of a Camry, the ES doesn't really match the same level of refinement and luxury as the GS. The difference in material quality seems fairly obvious to me. You can't just look at stock images and say oh, yeah they look the same, because when you sit in both cars, and drive them, there is a noticeable difference.

On another note, I don't understand why Lexus just doesn't use the LS/LC platform for the GS. It should at least increase the economies of scale.
I believe I alluded to this before, but the new ES is far more refined than the car it replaces. The Camry is as well, as you might expect. I briefly owned a 2015 Camry, and having rented a couple 2018's, the newer car feels a lot tighter. Same with the ES. It doesn't feel floppy over rougher roads anymore. Yeah there's a lot of body roll, but it still feels a little more composed than before. Stiff structure is not the same as stiff suspension.

I'd have to drive a GS to really see if it feels better. My instinct says it will, due to sharing the New N architecture with the IS, but I don't think it will be a huge difference, whereas it would have been more noticeable pre-redesign.
Old 08-26-19, 11:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I believe I alluded to this before, but the new ES is far more refined than the car it replaces. The Camry is as well, as you might expect. I briefly owned a 2015 Camry, and having rented a couple 2018's, the newer car feels a lot tighter. Same with the ES. It doesn't feel floppy over rougher roads anymore. Yeah there's a lot of body roll, but it still feels a little more composed than before. Stiff structure is not the same as stiff suspension.

I'd have to drive a GS to really see if it feels better. My instinct says it will, due to sharing the New N architecture with the IS, but I don't think it will be a huge difference, whereas it would have been more noticeable pre-redesign.
The GS will feel a lot more like your IS than the new ES. I was surprised when I went from the IS to the GS at just how similarly they drive/behave. GS is obviously larger, with a longer wheelbase, but it doesn't actually weight that much more. My IS350 AWD, according to Lexus, was 3,737 lbs, with a weight distribution of 55/45 Fr/Rr. My GS350 AWD, again according to Lexus, is just 154 lbs more, at 3,891 lbs and a weight distribution of 54/46.

For reference, the Genesis G80 Sport AWD is 4,674 lbs.
Old 08-26-19, 11:57 AM
Hoovey689

GS is a lot smaller than the G80. Pretty much smallest in class, border-line a tweener now, with how mid-size keeps increasing

GS350
Wheelbase - 112.2in
Length - 192.5in
Width - 72.4in
Height - 57.3in
Curb weight - (3,795–3,980 lb)

G80
Wheelbase - 118.5in
Length - 196.5in
Width - 74.4in
Height - 58.3in
Curb weight - 4,674 lbs

5-Series
Wheel base - 117.1in
Length - 194.3in
Width - 73.5in
Height - 58.2in

E-Class
2,939 - 115.7in
Length - 193.8in
Width - 72.9in
Height - 57.8in
Old 08-26-19, 01:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
G80
Wheelbase - 118.5in
Length - 196.5in
Width - 74.4in
Height - 58.3in
Curb weight - 4,674 lbs
weight's a bit off there.

reg: 4195 lbs.
awd 4350 lbs.
ttv6 4519 lbs.
https://www.edmunds.com/genesis/g80/...eatures-specs/

still a porker, but new one's going to improve that i bet.
Old 08-26-19, 02:02 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

awd 4350 lbs.
ttv6 4519 lbs.

5.0 Ultimate RWD: 4561 lbs.
5.0 Ultimate AWD: 4716 lbs.

So, yeah the AWD V8 model is heavy. I only drove a 5.0 RWD, so who knows if the AWD feels that much worse.
Old 08-26-19, 02:04 PM
Hoovey689

awd 4350 lbs.
ttv6 4519 lbs.

I was only quoting what JDR76 said above my post.
Old 08-26-19, 02:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

awd 4350 lbs.
ttv6 4519 lbs.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I was only quoting what JDR76 said above my post.
The G80 Sport is 4,519 lbs for RWD, 4,674 lbs for AWD.
Old 08-26-19, 02:16 PM
Hoovey689

I wouldn't worry about the weight as much simply because of engine and awd options. I posted the GS, G80, 5-Series, and E-Class to show how much the smaller the GS is in the wheelbase and total length compared to the others.

Quick Reply: Lexus confirmed 2019 last year for GS300 (GS350 lives on)