Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Change in building codes to adapt to cars being left running in garages

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-19, 07:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
i fail to see how having that rinky dink fan kick on is a better solution than having a relay trip the garage door to open position, plus no loss of storage space
Pretty good post. 👍
Old 09-06-19, 05:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They are not "rated for a lighting strike" but they are absolutely full of codes that are designed to make them safer in the event of something like a lighting strike.

Says who? You?

I see zero downside to this.
zero?

Adding cost and complexity to every house
loss of 6 foot length of wallspace in your garage, its probably not a good idea to cover up the detector or fan with a shelf
how is someone going to test it over the years, is there a test button that will activate the fan through the detector? People cant even maintain smoke detectors routinely. This is even more complicated since now a detector needs to turn on a fan and hopefully the vent actually works after sitting dormant for years. Hopefully the wiring is still intact or a GFCI isnt tripping the power to it.
Another way for pests or the weather to get inside the house.

feel good claptrap for extremely rare cause of death. More people win the powerball, killed by lightning, attacked by a shark than them dying to a keyless car. This is the folly of the feel good "even if it saves one life" argument. It has no perspective or context while the energy could've been effectively put elsewhere. Instead of forcing everyone to spend $250 per house, why not put $250 per house towards pool safety awareness and swimming lessons. Going to save far more lives.
Old 09-06-19, 05:44 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
i fail to see how having that rinky dink fan kick on is a better solution than having a relay trip the garage door to open position, plus no loss of storage space
Contents of the garage are more vulnerable to theft and vandalism with the garage door open.
Old 09-06-19, 05:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Contents of the garage are more vulnerable to theft and vandalism with the garage door open.
not to mention once the garage door is open, breaking into the house itself is much easier. so if the system malfunctions, the garage door just opens wide, welcoming the entire world into your house--I'd be disconnecting that system the day after my closing.
Old 09-06-19, 06:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

But the alternative is death, right? I mean, the whole point of this system is to prevent some small percentage of the 2.3 deaths per year caused by people accidentally leaving their keyless ignition cars running in their garage. So wouldn't you want the most efficient solution, even if it raised the possibility that you'd have your stuff stolen?

And really, taking a step back makes this look even sillier. Unless you retrofit every garage in the country, you're not going to come anywhere near eliminating those 2.3 deaths. And even if you could, it makes no economic sense to add $300 to the cost of every residential garage in the country--there are around 59 millon of them, so you're talking $17.6 billion--to possibly save those two people, or $7.4 billion per person/year. Why not mandate bedrails? They cost 90% less, and would theoretically save 450 people per year, as that's how many die falling out of bed every year.

Statistically speaking, assuming these always work perfectly (and don't fail over time as others have mentioned), you have to get them installed in 2.6 million homes to prevent one death per decade.

Last edited by geko29; 09-06-19 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 06:31 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how is someone going to test it over the years, is there a test button that will activate the fan through the detector? People cant even maintain smoke detectors routinely. This is even more complicated since now a detector needs to turn on a fan and hopefully the vent actually works after sitting dormant for years. Hopefully the wiring is still intact or a GFCI isnt tripping the power to it.
Another way for pests or the weather to get inside the house.
I'm not an electrician, engineer, or building developer, but I would think that the fan would be activated by the detector, or it could be manually operated for testing purposes. I would also think that these systems have battery backups built into them, as well as a low battery or low power warning of some sort (similar to smoke detectors). As far as pests, I'm sure the vent would work just fine with a mesh screen installed. Manufacturers might even build a relay into the CO detector that not only turns the fan on, but opens a motorized shutter in the vent during operation.

feel good claptrap for extremely rare cause of death. More people win the powerball, killed by lightning, attacked by a shark than them dying to a keyless car. This is the folly of the feel good "even if it saves one life" argument. It has no perspective or context while the energy could've been effectively put elsewhere. Instead of forcing everyone to spend $250 per house, why not put $250 per house towards pool safety awareness and swimming lessons. Going to save far more lives.
I see what you mean. But this building code amendment would guarantee that these CO detector and fan setups are in every house in that municipality. Whether or not they are installed, inspected, and maintained correctly is a separate issue, but it's now mandated to be in the garage. Using your example, I don't think you can mandate someone to take swimming lessons or attend a pool safety awareness class. A different example.. children and pets have died from being locked in cars with the windows up since cars were first invented. Think about how often you see this issue in media. I've seen it in movies, news reports, TV shows, ads, random videos on YouTube. Awareness is everywhere, and it still happens. It happens more often than it used to, due to the change in lifestyle and the number of things we distract ourselves with today. But these deaths are what prompted the development of the rear seat alerts in some cars today, despite the awareness all around us.

Again, I agree that your point makes sense. It shines a light on the "bigger picture". I still think that this is a positive step in the right direction, because (as evidenced in this thread alone) this single issue will, at the very least, force others to re-evaluate other, more serious issues with higher probabilities of risk. I like to think of this building code amendment as a stepping stone towards the development of better safeguards for higher risk cases, like a cheaper alternative to replacing an old furnace with one that has the auto-shut off feature.
Old 09-06-19, 06:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
But the alternative is death, right? I mean, the whole point of this system is to prevent some small percentage of the 2.3 deaths per year caused by people accidentally leaving their keyless ignition cars running in their garage. So wouldn't you want the most efficient solution, even if it raised the possibility that you'd have your stuff stolen?
This assumes a binary choice, which is false. Is the garage door opening system the "most efficient system"? The garage opening option was proposed by someone in lieu of the fan. As between death, fan or auto garage opening, I'd choose fan.

But having a mechanism that automatically opens your garage door by accident....then aren't you putting yourself and your family at risk by an intruder through the open garage door? Wasn't the point to reduce risk?

And again, everyone keeps talking about "if it saves one life". I'd rather the laws focus on saving "one life" in addressing risks that cause more deaths statistically. Again, this is low hanging fruit that allow the govt to point to "Look, we are saving lives here" without tackling more significant risks.
Old 09-06-19, 06:47 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tex2670
This assumes a binary choice, which is false. Is the garage door opening system the "most efficient system"? The garage opening option was proposed by someone in lieu of the fan. As between death, fan or auto garage opening, I'd choose fan.

But having a mechanism that automatically opens your garage door by accident....then aren't you putting yourself and your family at risk by an intruder through the open garage door? Wasn't the point to reduce risk?
I tried to lay the sarcasm on pretty thick, but apparently I didn't go far enough.

Originally Posted by tex2670
And again, everyone keeps talking about "if it saves one life". I'd rather the laws focus on saving "one life" in addressing risks that cause more deaths statistically. Again, this is low hanging fruit that allow the govt to point to "Look, we are saving lives here" without tackling more significant risks.
This is exactly my point, as you'll see in the rest of my post above. Lives are certainly valuable, but I don't think it makes any sense at all to spend $77 million to possibly save one life per decade.
Old 09-06-19, 06:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

wouldnt have to open the garage door all the way, CO is heavier than air so it will accumulate on the floor, just even cracking the door 6 inches would vent it. Hence why the vent fan in the picture is closer to the floor. Also as an FYI why these combo smoke/CO detectors being sold are a joke, smoke rises, CO doesnt, so you can only detect one at a time.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-06-19 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 06:51 AM
sm1ke
Racer

But the alternative is death, right?
No.. the alternative is a vent.

And really, taking a step back makes this look even sillier. Unless you retrofit every garage in the country, you're not going to come anywhere near eliminating those 2.3 deaths. And even if you could, it makes no economic sense to add $300 to the cost of every residential garage in the country--there are around 59 millon of them, so you're talking $17.6 billion--to possibly save those two people, or $7.4 billion per person/year. Why not mandate bedrails? They cost 90% less, and would theoretically save 450 people per year, as that's how many die falling out of bed every year.

Statistically speaking, assuming these always work perfectly (and don't fail over time as others have mentioned), you have to get them installed in 2.6 million homes to prevent one death per decade.
According to the OP:

"To be clear existing homes won't have to have these installed, they will be grandfathered this is just for new homes or garages being constructed." It's an option for those homes already existing, so you aren't required to have it (or spend the cost associated with it) unless you're building a new home. Assuming this becomes standard building code across the US, the cost is not nearly as high. This also assumes that this is the only solution going forward. I have no doubt that if this does become mandated across the US, someone would do the same cost-benefit analysis and develop a cheaper solution.
Old 09-06-19, 06:57 AM
sm1ke
Racer

I won't argue the fact that it's low hanging fruit. It is. But its still a solution to a problem.

The plus side to this is that people will see this as low hanging fruit and call it out to the people who can actually influence some change. It makes the county this code is mandated in feel safer, and it provides a stepping stone for others to shine light on more important issues.
Old 09-06-19, 07:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

"feel" safer doesnt mean actually safer in an significance because statistically speaking youre FAR more likely to get seriously injured falling down the stairs, burned on the stove, falling off the ladder, drowning in the pool. This is like saying you have $10k in your bank account, then you add $1 and say youre richer. Richer not in any significance
Old 09-06-19, 07:15 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

According to the OP:

"To be clear existing homes won't have to have these installed, they will be grandfathered this is just for new homes or garages being constructed." It's an option for those homes already existing, so you aren't required to have it (or spend the cost associated with it) unless you're building a new home. Assuming this becomes standard building code across the US, the cost is not nearly as high. This also assumes that this is the only solution going forward. I have no doubt that if this does become mandated across the US, someone would do the same cost-benefit analysis and develop a cheaper solution.
I know it's not required for existing homes. But my point is in order for it to have a significant impact in reducing the 2.3 deaths/year (which is a vanishingly small number), they would have to be installed (and functional) in a large proportion of homes. You have to get it in almost one in every twenty homes (4.4% to be exact) across the US to hopefully eliminate one death per decade. Even if you cost-engineer it down to say, $100 (which means the detector/fan unit itself is less than $50), we're still talking about compelling $260 million in spending to save that one life. That seems insane to me.
Old 09-06-19, 08:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Other than a discussion/debate topic it seems like a no brainer to me.
Sounds like the debate forum now.
Old 09-06-19, 08:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

wouldnt have to open the garage door all the way, CO is heavier than air so it will accumulate on the floor, just even cracking the door 6 inches would vent it. Hence why the vent fan in the picture is closer to the floor. Also as an FYI why these combo smoke/CO detectors being sold are a joke, smoke rises, CO doesnt, so you can only detect one at a time.
I don't know how your automatic garage door opener works, but how do you program it to only open part way? On mine, I have to push the button and then push it again to stop it.

Which makes me realize--there's many different brands of garage door openers out there. We are talking about minimal costs of these systems; does anyone really think that adding a sensor that is compatible with every single brand and type of garage door opener on the market today (not to mention adopting for future garage door opener innovations) still keeps the costs reasonable?

Quick Reply: Change in building codes to adapt to cars being left running in garages