Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

PR spin or Proper product planning (Tesla vs the rest)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 05:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Dealer-profits have little or nothing to do with what the factory itself actually makes. Dealerships (except for rare exceptions like Saturn and Scion, which no longer exist) can, and do, vary their asking prices according to vehicle-demand.......they profit from each vehicle according to how much they can sell it for. The factory usually doesn't (or can't) do that....they have the same mark-up (and profit) on each vehicle they sell, because the dealerships pay the same price for the vehicles wholesale.

And many of today's private-franchise dealers don't even operate on the old Middle-East Bazaar-style of bargaining anymore. In many cases, they have a no-dicker price, published on their web site, either at list (most likely on all-new vehicles with high demand/short supply) or at a discount, and that's that. On rare occasions, they can still charge over list...but you don't see that as much today as you once did.
You are not understanding...the dealers have to make a profit to run a business. This in turn either lowers Tesla profits if the prices are held constant to the consumer OR Tesla sells the cars to the dealers at the current prices and the dealers mark up the cars costing the CONSUMER more. One of these dynamics have to play out. If the dealerships and Tesla both run service centers at the same cost, then the requirement of the dealership to have profits leeches profit out of this economic framework. This lowers the value to Tesla overall as the dealers are required to make money. I hope you understand this.
Old 09-09-19, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I hope you understand this.
I am not the issue here. I'm not the one that keeps losing money. I'm only stating why Tesla itself is continuing to do so.

This video is a little dated, but gives a good picture of why the company, even today, is going through so much cash, and how investors are basically propping it up.

Old 09-09-19, 05:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I am not the issue here. I'm not the one that keeps losing money. I'm only stating why Tesla itself is continuing to do so.

This video is a little dated, but gives a good picture of why the company, even today, is going through so much cash, and how investors are basically propping it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHS0H5AwGjU
You keep arguing that Tesla needs to go sell to 3rd party franchisers to remain in business and i'm trying to explain to you the economic framework why that isn't necessarily a good idea. I'm not arguing on whether Tesla is losing money. My responses are directly aimed at this notion of yours that 3rd party franchisers are the key to their recovery.
Old 09-09-19, 06:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Why do you accuse me of that?
You've been using strong language and are emphatic Tesla is being hurt badly by running their own showrooms and service centers. I'm not accusing you of anything only going by what you've said.
Not true. Of course they can, and sometimes do, hurt private dealerships. Why do you think dealerships go out of business, or get bought out by other owners? Any business, in a capitalist economy, is a potential risk. The difference is......if Joe Blow Ford, or Smiling Sam Chevy, or John Q. Dodge down the street can't make it and folds, that's one thing, and purely a local matter, affecting maybe a few dozen to a few hundred jobs at most. But if Ford, Chevy, or Dodge itself goes out of business, on a major scale, that's quite a different matter.
That's not how business works, the totality of profits/losses are what is in play here and that is what you say is badly hurting Tesla's financials. If Tesla is losing money running the dealership model internally then suppose there were 500 Tesla dealers all independently owned. According to you the only way on average for all those dealers to make money is drastically increase the sticker price of a Tesla and the overall cost of ownership after the sale. Now if all those dealers use the same business model as Tesla does now, according to you all those dealers will lose huge amounts of money. Ergo, those dealers will have to charge much more for the same services vs. Tesla.

Now perhaps you think Tesla is running their showrooms and service centers extremely poorly and wasting money hand over fist, and you think the independent dealers can do a much more efficient job? That's the only way I can see why you think Tesla is taking such a bath running their own showrooms/service centers.
Also, Tesla's problems are not just limited to company-ownership of facilities. There are a number of other issues as well...too many to go into in detaining one post or thread.
Every auto company has challenges, the VW group just got dinged for billions why is Tesla supposed to be immune to challenges? GM and Chrysler went bankrupt, Nissan has suffered serious quality problems since the Fiat fiasco. I could go on and on.
A shame, too, that the company can't get its act together, because they make a vehicle with one heck of a power train. Driving a Model 3 was like a being a 5-foot Jockey on the back of a race horse....that torque has to be sampled to be believed.
Given Tesla started from literally nothing to being a mainstream BEV maker I'd say they've done extremely well. It's almost like you are trying to find reasons as to why Tesla is doomed.
Old 09-09-19, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You've been using strong language and are emphatic Tesla is being hurt badly by running their own showrooms and service centers. I'm not accusing you of anything only going by what you've said.
LOL. What I have been using is not strong language....at least not by Internet standards. Believe me, there are forums (and comment-sections) where people DO use strong language. Here, Dave and the moderators effectively enforce rules against it....this forum, in contrast, is like a group of lambs.

Now perhaps you think Tesla is running their showrooms and service centers extremely poorly
The ones I've seen can't even be called that....they are warehouses. But, of course, I admit I have not seen all the Tesla shops....only a few.

Every auto company has challenges, the VW group just got dinged for billions why is Tesla supposed to be immune to challenges? GM and Chrysler went bankrupt, Nissan has suffered serious quality problems since the Fiat fiasco. I could go on and on.
True, but you'll notice that Nissan and Chrysler got bought out by other companies. Who actually wants to buy Tesla? I may be wrong, but, as I recall, since Apple's 2013 offer (which Musk turned down), nobody wants to touch them....at least in their present form.

Given Tesla started from literally nothing to being a mainstream BEV maker I'd say they've done extremely well.
Oh, there's no question that they build the most advanced all-electric vehicles on the planet. The Tesla 3's powertrain impressed me like nothing else I've driven in years...and is clearly not a car for careless or inattentive drivers. But, IMO, they would have done even better with a more conventional network.

It's almost like you are trying to find reasons as to why Tesla is doomed.
Hey, I don't know if Tesla is ultimately doomed or not.....I don't have a crystal ball (and crystal ***** are against my religion) . But one thing seems obvious.....Tesla will go on as long as the investors and the intense hype/publicity the company gets keeps drawing in the gravy train from investors. That compensates for the dollar-drain from questionable business practices.

With all due respect (and I'm not trying to be rude or evasive).....I think you and I have covered this issue enough. I'm going to relax here and give some other people a chance.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-09-19 at 07:12 PM.