Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

UAW strike

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-19, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It is interesting to read everyone's opinion on here, though. I promise, union workers aren't all greedy and bad.
When JDR makes a promise, folks....you can believe it.
Old 09-13-19, 05:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't like to comment on union threads, as I belong to a union (SPEEA) and am therefore not a neutral or unbiased party.

It is interesting to read everyone's opinion on here, though. I promise, union workers aren't all greedy and bad.
No. They are not all bad. But usually it is far easier to deal with no union. It also depends on the union or industry.
Old 09-16-19, 05:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We already have a long-running thread on GM's shutdown of several plants and sedan-production. However, since this topic involves not only that, but some other newer issues as well, I decided to make a new thread (mods, you can merge them if you feel otherwise). Last Tuesday, UAW members voted to authorize a strike against GM, which does not actually set a firm date, but allows the union leadership to schedule one if they feel an adequate new contract-replacement cannot be reached.

The new contact will eventually affect the jobs at Ford and FCA as well, but GM is being chosen as the target company for actual contract-talks (and a strike, if one is actually called). This is traditionally the way that the UAW achieves its contracts.....it selects a target company, negotiates, and then the contract is effective across the industry wherever there are UAW jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHX1BIkDl1I

https://thehill.com/regulation/labor...general-motors

UAW members authorize potential strikes against General Motors

BY ZACK BUDRYK - 09/03/19 10:47 AM EDT 124

© Getty Images
The United Auto Workers (UAW) voted Tuesday to make General Motors the target of any potential strike by the automobile workers’ union, according to The Associated Press.

The vote is not a decision to strike but means that GM, rather than Ford or Fiat Chrysler, will be the focus of negotiations between automakers and the union. Union contracts representing about 152,000 workers at the three automakers expire in mid-September.

GM is the most profitable of the “Big Three” automakers and has drawn union ire lately after announcing it will shutter four plants in Maryland, Ohio and Michigan, a move the UAW has vowed to fight.

The automakers have also worked lately to reduce hourly labor costs, which are up compared to those of Southern plants run by companies such as Nissan, Toyota and Volkswagen.

“We are focused. We are prepared and we are all ready to stand up for our members, our communities and our manufacturing future,” UAW President Gary Jones said in a statement Tuesday, according to the AP.

The vote also comes amid legal woes for union leadership following an August FBI raid on both Jones’s home and that of former UAW President Dennis Williams. Nine people have been charged and eight sentenced to prison in connection with the investigation.

Jones himself has not been charged with a crime and marched in Detroit’s Labor Day parade Monday, leaving early without talking to any rank-and-file members, according to the AP.

Looks like the strike is on. 46,000 workers out, 31 plants shut down. Wow!
Old 09-16-19, 07:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looks like the strike is on. 46,000 workers out, 31 plants shut down. Wow!

Yep.....GM is reaping what it sowed.

Old 09-16-19, 07:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Yep.....GM is reaping what it sowed.

gm now has huge incentive to move more production elsewhere. uaw can't win.
Old 09-16-19, 08:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gm now has huge incentive to move more production elsewhere.

Nope.....not with the auto-import tariffs. You either keep production in this country or you pay. And GM can't pass the tariffs off to customers because customers won't pay the added price. It will be cheaper and better for them to simply treat auto workers (and some of their customers) in this country like they deserve to be treated...not like doormats.
Old 09-16-19, 08:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Nope.....not with the auto-import tariffs. You either keep production in this country or you pay. And GM can't pass the tariffs off to customers because customers won't pay the added price. It will be cheaper and better for them to simply treat auto workers (and some of their customers) in this country like they deserve to be treated...not like doormats.
I agree. With the current tariffs and political climate, moving production will not be happening for the short term. But auto production won’t be coming back in any significant numbers either. GM can’t close anything right now as it would be a PR nightmare. It is kinda like a stalemate

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-16-19 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i meant elsewhere in the u.s., like the south, out of the 19th century rust belt.
Old 09-16-19, 10:41 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

i meant elsewhere in the u.s., like the south, out of the 19th century rust belt.
Right! Toyota has proven that it is possible to build high quality cars without the unions by setting up their plant in Kentucky. The Honda plants do the same even in Ohio which was traditionally a union stronghold. Nissan and VW build cars in Tennessee. There are lots of options where they don't have to deal with the unions.
Old 09-16-19, 10:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Right! Toyota has proven that it is possible to build high quality cars without the unions by setting up their plant in Kentucky. The Honda plants do the same even in Ohio which was traditionally a union stronghold. Nissan and VW build cars in Tennessee. There are lots of options where they don't have to deal with the unions.
GM can’t open a plant in the south US and use non UAW workers.
Old 09-16-19, 11:21 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't like to comment on union threads, as I belong to a union (SPEEA) and am therefore not a neutral or unbiased party.

The workers may not be, but the same can't be said of the union itself.
Old 09-16-19, 11:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

why not, and if not, don't you see that as bad?
Old 09-16-19, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

why not, and if not, don't you see that as bad?
Here, Jill is correct. Because of a number of factors (some of which we cannot discuss in Car Chat because they are too political), the days when large corporations, and particularly auto-manufacturers, can do pretty much what they want to do, plant-wise, and labor-wise, are coming to an end. This is simply not the same climate as it was just a few years ago. Polls show that today, 64% of the American public is supportive of organized Labor.
Old 09-16-19, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if there is a way or not for the general public to donate to the UAW's strike-fund. I'd assume, though, that, like with other union-expenses, most of the fund probably comes from worker-contributions themselves.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-16-19 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I’m sure UAW management would gladly waste accept your generous contribution.

Quick Reply: UAW strike