Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

UAW strike

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 06:25 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When a union as large as the UAW goes out on a nationwide strike, it is usually not for a simple or sudden reasons....they need a darn good incentive for it (which they have in this case). This is something that has been in the making for some time, but, for several reasons, really intensified in the last 12-18 months or so.
Well you are tenacious in your defense of the UAW, but you're tilting at windmills here with the pro-corporate capitalists on this forum, many of whom are upper income types with anti-union biases ingrained from decades of listening to Wall Street pundits.

But Mike, you're correct: the UAW membership authorized this strike via a democratic and transparent vote. Apparently excercising freedom of assembly and free speech is wrong to some people because it hurts the Wall Streeters and billionaires who will gladly outsource anything they can to pad their riches. The UAW leadership ain't no angels. They deserve to be criticized but the workers who are most senior would not be affected by GM's changes, they are striking for the next generation behind them.

The company's latest offer on Sunday came just two hours before the contract expired as a form of brinksmanship, to see of the UAW and its membership would cave. That's who the employees are dealing with here.
Old 09-17-19, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Well you are tenacious in your defense of the UAW, but you're tilting at windmills here with the pro-corporate capitalists on this forum, many of whom are upper income types with anti-union biases ingrained from decades of listening to Wall Street pundits.
Most of the time, I'm not particularly that pro-union either, and often give companies the benefit of the doubt. But, IMO, GM and Ford, particularly, in their actions as of late (say, the last 12-18 months or so), have given both employees and customers (particularly their traditional sedan customers) reasons to fight back. In this case, it is difficult, IMO, to have sympathy for corporations who abuse their employees and customers in this way. So, I say to the strikers...pickett away, more power to them. Now that GM's management is losing $100 million a day, maybe they will start to sober up.

The UAW itself also made it possible, ten years ago, to help finance GM's bailout. They put up a good chunk of their OWN cash, in addition to the cash that was coming in from several other sources. Then, they made other pay/benefit concessions on top of that. GM owes the UAW a huge debt of gratitude...not the closing of a half-dozen plants.

But Mike, you're correct: the UAW membership authorized this strike via a democratic and transparent vote. Apparently excercising freedom of assembly and free speech is wrong to some people because it hurts the Wall Streeters and billionaires who will gladly outsource anything they can to pad their riches. The UAW leadership ain't no angels. They deserve to be criticized but the workers who are most senior would not be affected by GM's changes, they are striking for the next generation behind them.
Agreed. Union bosses can sometimes be corrupt, and, in some cases, have even had ties to mobsters. But they are not the ones that the public is behind.....it's the rank-and-file that now have the public sympathy.

The company's latest offer on Sunday came just two hours before the contract expired as a form of brinksmanship, to see if the UAW and its membership would cave. That's who the employees are dealing with here.
Mary Barra, to her credit, actually ran the corporation pretty well for most of the time she's been in her position. But, in the last 12-18 months, she completely blew it.....that's much of what brought on much of this strike to start with, and a (possible) Canadian UNIFOR strike coming up. It's not my call, but if I were on GM's board, I'd vote for her expulsion.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-19 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 07:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

First, because of GM's previous actions, the neighborhood was already on fire before this strike was called. Second, GM has got a lot more on their hands than just this strike. UNIFOR may call a strike of their own, and an angry public is rejecting the Silverado in droves, which traditionally has been GM's best-selling vehicle. After decades of riding second-fiddle to Ford's F-150, the Silverado has been pushed down into third place, behind Dodge's Ram....although at least some of that is also due to the excellence of the new Ram's engineering.
You want to make this about GM canceling sedan models but that has nothing to do with this strike. GM’s canceling models that sell in small number or the numbers may not be that small, but the models are unprofitable anyway. As you said, the Silverado’s slipped to third because it’s simply not as good as the RAM. It’s cheap and ugly inside and out. It’s not about an ‘angry public’ lol.

There also appears to be at least some (?) organized consumer resistance to the Blazer, for reasons we have discussed earlier, although it is not as widespread as with the Silverado.
Really? Evidence? You mean this ‘resistance’ is because the blazer’s not body on frame?

Originally Posted by MattyG
the UAW membership authorized this strike via a democratic and transparent vote.
yeah i’m sure there was no pressure to vote for the strike.
Old 09-17-19, 07:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

sounds like Ram will again beat Chevy again another quarter if they dont make and keep selling silverados
Old 09-17-19, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You want to make this about GM canceling sedan models but that has nothing to do with this strike.
There are many factors.....I don't have time here to list them all. But a significant part of the strike is over the multiple plant-closings/layoffs....and, like it or not, those plants built mostly sedans.

As you said, the Silverado’s slipped to third because it’s simply not as good as the RAM. It’s cheap and ugly inside and out. It’s not about an ‘angry public’ lol.
The public is involved more than you think. Full-size truck owners are usually the toughest nuts in the industry to crack when it comes to vehicle-loyalty. When they move away from something, it is for very serious reasons. Part of it is indeed the Ram's ride-comfort and refinement, but you can't pin the whole thing on that....after all, the Ram also has a reputation for unreliability.

Really? Evidence? You mean this ‘resistance’ is because the blazer’s not body on frame?
That's a part of it, but the main issue is the Mexican-build. GM couldn't even display it in some places because of the resistance.

Read this:

https://www.msn.com/g00/en-us/autos/...Z2xlLmNvbS8%3d

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-19 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
sounds like Ram will again beat Chevy again another quarter if they dont make and keep selling silverados

Well, yes, but that goes without saying. But, in the current climate, even producing them won't guarantee their sale.

And I say that objectively, ignoring my own opinion, because I myself generally like the new Silverado...my only complaint is a somewhat choppy ride, with some porposing, and the upmarket GMC Sierra, with a softer suspension, solves that problem.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-19 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, I don't have much else to say about it right now (I don't want to dominate even my own thread). I saw this event coming a number of months ago, and I'm just going to sit back, relax, and watch the show. Good Night, folks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-19 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

That's a part of it, but the main issue is the Mexican-build. GM couldn't even display it in some places because of the resistance.

Read this:

https://www.msn.com/g00/en-us/autos/...Z2xlLmNvbS8%3d
Gm putting a Mexican-made vehicle in a prominent place in Detroit is certainly a stupid PR move!
Old 09-17-19, 08:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Most of the time, I'm not particularly that pro-union either, and often give companies the benefit of the doubt. But, IMO, GM and Ford, particularly, in their actions as of late (say, the last 12-18 months or so), have given both employees and customers (particularly their traditional sedan customers) reasons to fight back. In this case, it is difficult, IMO, to have sympathy for corporations who abuse their employees and customers in this way. So, I say to the strikers...pickett away, more power to them. Now that GM's management is losing $100 million a day, maybe they will start to sober up.

The UAW itself also made it possible, ten years ago, to help finance GM's bailout. They put up a good chunk of their OWN cash, in addition to the cash that was coming in from several other sources. Then, they made other pay/benefit concessions on top of that. GM owes the UAW a huge debt of gratitude...not the closing of a half-dozen plants.

Agreed. Union bosses can sometimes be corrupt, and, in some cases, have even had ties to mobsters. But they are not the ones that the public is behind.....it's the rank-and-file that now have the public sympathy.

Mary Barra, to her credit, actually ran the corporation pretty well for most of the time she's been in her position. But, in the last 12-18 months, she completely blew it.....that's much of what brought on much of this strike to start with, and a (possible) Canadian UNIFOR strike coming up. It's not my call, but if I were on GM's board, I'd vote for her expulsion.
I agree. GM made an error announcing the plant closures. They are looking to find ways to keep something in there for the short term.
Old 09-18-19, 08:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. GM made an error announcing the plant closures. They are looking to find ways to keep something in there for the short term.
I don't get what you are saying here.

Are you saying she made an error on closing the plants? Because that's reversible, if it is truly an "error".

Or do you mean exactly what you said: she made an error in announcing the closures? Because closing the plants without announcing it ahead of time would be (1) subhuman, (2) a terrible PR move, (3) probably in violation of the union contracts, and (4) probably against the law, as in certain circumstances, large layoffs must be announced in advance.
Old 09-18-19, 05:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't get what you are saying here.

Are you saying she made an error on closing the plants? Because that's reversible, if it is truly an "error".

Or do you mean exactly what you said: she made an error in announcing the closures? Because closing the plants without announcing it ahead of time would be (1) subhuman, (2) a terrible PR move, (3) probably in violation of the union contracts, and (4) probably against the law, as in certain circumstances, large layoffs must be announced in advance.
A PR error.
Old 09-18-19, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Some UNIFOR workers, Bless their Hearts, brought over donuts, from a Windsor bakery, this morning to show support, across the river, in Detroit, for the UAW people striking at the Hamtramck plant. Hamtramck is slated to be shut down....that is where a number of the discontinued (or soon to be discontinued) sedans were built.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/new...ifor-1.9976345

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-18-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-18-19, 08:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah because that’s what fat uaw workers need... donuts.
Old 09-18-19, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yeah because that’s what fat uaw workers need... donuts.
They burn up a fair amount of energy working on the assembly line....especially under stress. That work is not a piece of cake (no pun intended)...although it is true that automation and robots do more of it now.
Old 09-19-19, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's something interesting that I would probably not have guessed. According to this article from the NTY, GM actually has a smaller UAW work force than Ford or FCA.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/16/b...trike-uaw.html

Quick Reply: UAW strike