Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

JLR confirms next Jaguar XJ will be all-electric

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-19, 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

in marketing, if your market share is small, you don't go making something just like the bigger players unless it's substantially better in some way or cheaper (LS400) because you will lose. you instead should do something bold, not like everyone else. subaru is bold because all their vehicles have awd. if they made a car 'just like' a camry, they'd fail.

so i'd say what jaguar is doing is exactly right and like LexCTJill says, it makes sense. however, the details will matter.
Well, if details matter, let's not forget the not-so-small detail of an adequate charging system.....outside of California, it is still wanting across the country. All-Electric Jags (or any other brand) won't go anywhere without adequate battery-charges.

Old 09-11-19, 12:12 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

I think the article perhaps misreads what was said. It’s long been rumored that the next XJ will have a fully electric option. I’m much less certain, however, that this will be the only power train option. So yes, the next XJ will offer a BEV option. It’s likely that there will be traditional powertrain choices available too.
Old 09-11-19, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I think the article perhaps misreads what was said. It’s long been rumored that the next XJ will have a fully electric option. I’m much less certain, however, that this will be the only power train option. So yes, the next XJ will offer a BEV option. It’s likely that there will be traditional powertrain choices available too.

Agreed.....I hope you are correct. Jaguar already suffers from relatively low sales in the U.S. The last thing they need to do is restrict those sales even more by not having ICEs.
Old 10-19-20, 03:03 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Uh-oh, it's on the chopping block. JLR is in such a hot mess.

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1900052_1.html

Jaguar Land Rover’s new boss could slash the car-maker’s product range — even ditching its forthcoming electric XJ saloon, according to The Sunday Times.

Former Renault chief executive Thierry Bolloré is believed to be mulling deep cuts to its line-up, with up to six current and planned models facing the axe.

Bolloré, who replaced Sir Ralf Speth last month, is grappling with an array of issues at Britain’s biggest car-maker, from the economic slump to a confused mix of similar models. He also inherited a range of poor-selling Jaguar saloons.

Sources said Bolloré had two to three months to make a decision on whether to continue with the electric XJ or pursue a fundamental shake-up of the Jaguar brand.

He is understood to have raised concerns about persistent losses at Jaguar, which have been subsidised with profits from Land Rover.

Jaguar’s flagship XJ was launched in 1968 and an armoured version is used by the prime minister. A new, battery-powered model had been due to roll off production lines at its Castle Bromwich factory in the West Midlands early next year, but that was delayed by the pandemic until next October.

Bolloré is understood to be considering halting the XJ, despite JLR and its suppliers having spent tens of millions of pounds on tooling for the new car. It has limited sales prospects, with Jaguar hoping to sell 38,000 a year. Bolloré, 57, is considering ditching two more models — a Range Rover and a Jaguar SUV — that were due to be built on the same platform, or skeleton.

Also at risk are its Jaguar XE and XF saloons, sales of which have disappointed, and its Discovery Sport SUV, with similar characteristics to a number of its other SUVs. That raises questions over JLR’s Castle Bromwich and Halewood plants.

Model cuts would be a significant diversion from Speth’s strategy. The Bavarian was hired by Tata to turn round Jaguar after the Indian conglomerate bought the car-maker from Ford for £1.1bn in 2008.

Speth steered it to record profits and sales, set a target of selling one million cars a year, and tried to take on the German giants. However, issues ranging from slumping sales in China to the US-China trade war sent it crashing to heavy losses and forced deep job cuts.

Bolloré is believed to be keen to move Jaguar more upmarket to take on Tesla. He is also understood to have raised concerns about the pace of electrification at JLR, and expressed surprise about the prospect of no all-electric Range Rover any time soon. JLR said it “does not comment on speculation from anonymous sources about our business”.
Old 10-19-20, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

So they want to "move upmarket" to take on Tesla, yet they are considering axing their high end EV sedan. Smart.
Old 10-19-20, 03:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

That is so disappointing. Like you said, what a hot mess
Old 10-20-20, 05:43 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Renault people are the worst. Renault as manufacturer is like a giant Opel, bigger and worse in every way. What this guy is practicing is typical Renault chopping block, you introduce a vehicle it doesn't do well within first three years you axe it after five. Five years later you introduce the damn same thing, it still doesn't work out after initial three years, you axe it after five. Besides Clio and Megan they can't keep a nameplate longer than one generation.

If this guys genuine intentions are to take on Tesla and not someones fabricated guess then he has no clue about marketing and sales. It's like every other manufacturer who claimed it will take on Apple. You can have the best technology out there, better product but you don't have marketing reach like Apple and Tesla do. End of story.
Old 10-20-20, 07:49 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vladi
Renault people are the worst. Renault as manufacturer is like a giant Opel, bigger and worse in every way. What this guy is practicing is typical Renault chopping block, you introduce a vehicle it doesn't do well within first three years you axe it after five. Five years later you introduce the damn same thing, it still doesn't work out after initial three years, you axe it after five. Besides Clio and Megan they can't keep a nameplate longer than one generation.

If this guys genuine intentions are to take on Tesla and not someones fabricated guess then he has no clue about marketing and sales. It's like every other manufacturer who claimed it will take on Apple. You can have the best technology out there, better product but you don't have marketing reach like Apple and Tesla do. End of story.
Mirrors what Aston did by hiring a former Nissan exec to run them. The British brands that aren't German owned will all kill themselves at this rate.
Old 10-20-20, 01:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I feel bad for Jaguar.

My parents had the most recent Jaguar XJ back in 2013/2014. Definitely beautiful car and I think there were no issues reliability wise.

How do you put your flagship sedan on hiatus and still expect to be taken seriously? Why don’t they have a large SUV on Range Rover platform. Brand has been totally mis-managed.

The only ppl that will buy EV XJ are the British government and royal family.
Old 10-20-20, 03:01 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BEV only XJ is stupid idea and they knew it since day one but they were making it as technology showcase and to fill the flagship spot. I kind of get that, and its certainly better idea for Jaguar brand than I-Pace.Exactly that I-PACE was a Tesla Y competitor before Tesla Y, they had a great general idea no doubt, they did their homework what will be the next best thing for Tesla and they tried to get there first. Problem was they did not understand what Jaguar as brand stands for and that Jaguar as a brand will not be able to carry out vehicle like I-PACE. Maybe they even knew that but they were counting things will change once they introduce such car. Things didn't change, they got worse. So in the end BEV XJ is better idea than I-PACE because it's a proper old school Jaguar but the new guy will kill it because he might wants to compete with Tesla. Which Tesla? Model S certainly not cause they are cancelling XJ, so which one is it? 3? Y? X? Very confusing.
Old 01-26-21, 04:15 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Things just keep getting worse for Jaguar. Castle Bromwich plant is mostly empty and the XJ is still delayed and on the chopping block.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...strategy-hold/

The Castle Bromwich debate

There’s no doubt JLR is in reverse. Sales were diving before the pandemic, from a peak of 614,000 two years ago to 426,000 in the last calendar year, with commensurate financial woes. A minnow in the car industry, where giants such as VW Group and Toyota sell 10m cars annually and scale is key to absorbing huge costs, JLR is falling short of the 1m sales aspiration Speth set in the early 2000s. Bolloré has options, and some potential moves are obvious.

JLR has facilities to produce many more cars than it currently does, raising questions over further cutbacks, on top of thousands of staff shed by his predecessor.

The company’s Castle Bromwich plant – home to Jaguar’s saloons since the Seventies – is now largely idle, with demand for its cars low. Staff have been transferred to the Solihull plant, which produces more popular and profitable Range Rovers and Jaguar F-Pace SUVs as it battles staff shortages caused by Covid outbreaks. Plans to build an electric version of the flagship XJ saloon at Castle Bromwich and make the plant a centre for electrification have been delayed by the pandemic and poor sales.

One source with knowledge of JLR’s strategy argues delaying the electric XJ has thrown up problems, as it was the first of three cars intended to share the same platform. “The question is whether the electric XJ is delayed or shelved,” they say. “The electric strategy depended on making all three to stack up.”

Currently, the company’s only all-electric car is the Jaguar I-Pace, making up a quarter of all Jaguar sales, and made by contract manufacturer Magna Steyr in Austria. Ending the Castle Bromwich debate by shutting it and consolidating Jaguar production – less than a quarter of the group’s total sales – would be a bold statement from Bolloré.

Farewell to the saloon?

Perhaps an even more extreme move would be killing off Jaguar’s saloons altogether. “How can you go up against BMW’s ultimate driving machine and win?” asks one insider. “Speth backed them and is linked to them, Bolloré is not.”

Production could be put into other plants; potentially the Chinese joint venture that already produces some of JLR’s range, the company’s giant new plant in low-cost Slovakia, or even Magna, which makes Jaguar’s E-Pace small SUV. But this would be a painful move that would send shock waves through the West Midlands.

Unions are unlikely to accept it. “We could close down the business quicker than management could,” says one veteran workers’ representative.

Still, Jaguar’s saloons might not have a future in an electrified world, according to Jim Holder, editorial director at Autocar and What Car?. “Electric kills low-slung saloons,” he says. “Big batteries need high-riding cars – SUVs – to fit them underneath. JLR’s path to redemption may be SUVs, but then there’s the problem of the company eating its own lunch.”

Last edited by Motorola; 01-26-21 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 04:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

“Big batteries need high-riding cars – SUVs – to fit them underneath. JLR’s path to redemption may be SUVs, but then there’s the problem of the company eating its own lunch.”
Yeah that's a problem when your sister company ONLY makes SUVs, and no one wants to buy your saloons. I love the Jaguar nameplate, but they are such a hot mess for seems like forever now
Old 01-26-21, 07:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

This is a damn shame.
Old 01-27-21, 10:23 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

This really sucks! I hope the electric XJ still comes out.
Old 02-15-21, 07:26 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

It's official. XJ is dead.

Jaguar Will Become An EV Brand, But XJ Sedan Is Not Happening

New Jaguar XJ Canned At The 11th Hour As New Boss Reveals Sweeping Electrification Plans for JLR

Electric Jaguar XJ scrapped as part of brand reinvention plan

Even BBC confirms it.

A sad day, but not one I can't say I didn't see coming.

Quick Reply: JLR confirms next Jaguar XJ will be all-electric