Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

JLR confirms next Jaguar XJ will be all-electric

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19, 02:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default JLR confirms next Jaguar XJ will be all-electric

Jaguar-Land Rover confirmed today what has long been rumored: the next-generation Jaguar XJ will be all-electric. On stage to introduce the new Land Rover Defender, company CEO Ralf Speth made the announcement as a teaser image of the new electric XJ's full-width taillight bar appeared on screens behind him.

As quoted by AutoExpress, Speth said, "Based on our rich knowledge and experience gained from the I-Pace, Formula-E and I-Pace eTROPHY, our engineering team is in full swing to deliver the world's first, full-electric luxury sports saloon. The flagship of Jaguar: the all-new XJ."

He continued, "The new, all-electric XJ - extraordinarily remastered for the 21st century - will offer spiritual freedom for our customers ... Gliding in elegance, new tranquility and new functionality, and in full consciousness taking care of the environment."

Well, let's unpack that a bit, shall we? First, "the world's first, full-electric luxury sports saloon?" Even if you split hairs and deem the Tesla Model S a hatchback, there's a little thing called the Tesla Model 3. That's definitely a saloon, or as we in North America call it, a sedan. Unless he meant the North American definition of a saloon, in which case the Tesla is most definitely not that.

Also, the new XJ will help customers achieve spiritual freedom? Whatever.

Jaguar's longest-running nameplate going all-electric isn't surprising, but it can only be good news for the British luxury brand, which could use a win. The current XJ made waves with its controversial styling, but that was nearly a decade ago. Thereafter, it never gained enough attention in America from wealthy buyers who'd otherwise buy a BMW 7 Series, Mercedes S-Class or even Porsche Panamera. Basically, what the Tesla Model S was able to achieve with distinctive styling, and of course, an all-electric powertrain. Plus, unlike the recently introduced Porsche Taycan, an all-electric Jaguar XJ should offer space more on par with Tesla's big sedan/saloon/hatchback.

AutoExpress also indicates in its story that the new XJ will still be built in England, as will its batteries. There will apparently be a new battery-producing facility opening in 2020 with the goal of producing enough batteries for as many as 150,000 Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles per year.
Source
Old 09-10-19, 02:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Makes sense. Looking forward to seeing what is offered.
Old 09-10-19, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Makes sense. Looking forward to seeing what is offered.
I respect your opinion, but I'm not sure abut how much sense it makes in the U.S. The XJ is not a large seller here to begin with, especially when you compare it to its BMW Mercedes, and Audi competition, and to make it all-electric will probably even lessen its appeal in the U.S. outside of California, though I'll concede that some might consider it a competitor to the Tesla Model S. Its interior will certainly put that of a Model S to shame.
Old 09-10-19, 06:47 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,116 Likes on 723 Posts

The Model S with the tax credit gone 1/1/2020 really needs competition. It's sales are down -49.2% ytd through August compared to the same eight months last year.
Old 09-11-19, 03:12 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts

This would have been a good idea for Lexus with the LS instead of what they delivered with the 500. Couldn't have turned out much worse.
Old 09-11-19, 03:59 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,116 Likes on 723 Posts

IMO the LS full electric under $100,000 with a $7,500 tax credit would be a huge success in the luxury sedan market. I would be the first one to buy. Lexus just put a battery in the current LS and don't make it futuristic looking.
Old 09-11-19, 06:42 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus doesn't have the technology for big sedan like BEV. All Lexus BEV vehicles will be Toyota reskins of small cars for quite some time
Old 09-11-19, 07:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I respect your opinion, but I'm not sure abut how much sense it makes in the U.S. The XJ is not a large seller here to begin with, especially when you compare it to its BMW Mercedes, and Audi competition, and to make it all-electric will probably even lessen its appeal in the U.S. outside of California, though I'll concede that some might consider it a competitor to the Tesla Model S. Its interior will certainly put that of a Model S to shame.
It would have to be made for worldwide sales. So US would just be a part of it.
Old 09-11-19, 08:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Nobody will buy this thing, just like nobody is buying the EV Jag suv.

I predict most European brands will not exist in next 10+ year due to the crazy policy established by their governments.
Old 09-11-19, 08:55 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That will be the nail in the coffin for the Jag XJ, at least in the US. Do they not understand people buy these big flagships more to take long trips in and don't want to worry about range, where it can be re charged, spend a lot of time charging, etc. With Jags horrific reliability record, I would be more terrified of a all electric one.

I like the design of the current one, unfortunately its interior just doesn't work for a flagship car.
Old 09-11-19, 10:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
This would have been a good idea for Lexus with the LS instead of what they delivered with the 500. Couldn't have turned out much worse.
i agree or at least in addition to the ls500 as the hybrid version is a dud.

Originally Posted by Freds430
IMO the LS full electric under $100,000 with a $7,500 tax credit would be a huge success in the luxury sedan market. I would be the first one to buy. Lexus just put a battery in the current LS and don't make it futuristic looking.
ha if only it were that simple. and it's already 'futuristic looking' to many.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
in marketing, if your market share is small, you don't go making something just like the bigger players unless it's substantially better in some way or cheaper (LS400) because you will lose. you instead should do something bold, not like everyone else. subaru is bold because all their vehicles have awd. if they made a car 'just like' a camry, they'd fail.

so i'd say what jaguar is doing is exactly right and like LexCTJill says, it makes sense. however, the details will matter.

Originally Posted by UDel
That will be the nail in the coffin for the Jag XJ, at least in the US. Do they not understand people buy these big flagships more to take long trips in and don't want to worry about range, where it can be re charged, spend a lot of time charging, etc. With Jags horrific reliability record, I would be more terrified of a all electric one.

I like the design of the current one, unfortunately its interior just doesn't work for a flagship car.
sounds like, according to you, jag is screwed no matter what they do.
Old 09-11-19, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i agree or at least in addition to the ls500 as the hybrid version is a dud.
Would you be surprised to hear that they sell more LS500hs than they do LS500s? I saw a stat on that the other day.
Old 09-11-19, 11:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Would you be surprised to hear that they sell more LS500hs than they do LS500s? I saw a stat on that the other day.
I would not surprised worldwide. Do you have a link?
Old 09-11-19, 11:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I could definitely see it worldwide, but it's not the case in the US where they only sold 10 last month and 118 year to date.

As for the XJ, I think going all-electric on it is a good idea, as long as they execute it well.
Old 09-11-19, 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Worldwide it was like 70% hybrids...not sure where I read that

Quick Reply: JLR confirms next Jaguar XJ will be all-electric