Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Boss vs bargain Large Luxury showdown?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-19, 05:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you're comparing apples and oranges. .
Not really. People who had soft riding cars would be in need of an upgrade the last 3-4 years. So they eschewed the soft riding LaCrosse type models and others like A8 or LS for suvs or crossovers. Not everyone find smooth and soft as a great ride.
Old 09-13-19, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not really. People who had soft riding cars would be in need of an upgrade the last 3-4 years. So they eschewed the soft riding LaCrosse type models and others like A8 or LS for suvs or crossovers. Not everyone find smooth and soft as a great ride.

Well, if they did want a silky ride, they wouldn't necessarily be looking at SUVs....although there are some relatively smooth-riding SUVs, particularly with some versions of the Kia Sorento, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the full-sized SUVs from Ford and GM.
Old 09-13-19, 06:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, if they did want a silky ride, they wouldn't .
But they have all been flocking to something else. So the power of a soft ride is not as great as you might think. Know what I mean?

The G90 and S class are out dated for what consumers are after.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-13-19 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-13-19, 07:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

But they have all been flocking to something else. So the power of a soft ride is not as great as you might think. Know what I mean?

What?

How could you possibly say that? They both have pretty much every luxury feature/option that a car could possibly have,more features and luxury then 99% of the cars on the road, have powerful engines, look good. The S class consistently sells around 1000 or more cars a month just in the US, it has been doing that for several years, it is a 100K+ car, many $50K mid level cars can't get close to those sales numbers. What car could you possibly think that is not "outdated for what consumers are after" compared to a S class or lesser extent G90?
Old 09-13-19, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
What?

How could you possibly say that? They both have pretty much every luxury feature/option that a car could possibly have,more features and luxury then 99% of the cars on the road, have powerful engines, look good. The S class consistently sells around 1000 or more cars a month just in the US, it has been doing that for several years, it is a 100K+ car, many $50K mid level cars can't get close to those sales numbers. What car could you possibly think that is not "outdated for what consumers are after" compared to a S class or lesser extent G90?
They are outdated in the sense that most people want more space, something that rides higher, something easier to get into, close to similar fuel economy, and the same or similar price. For example, and Q7 or Q8 make a slightly better purchase proposition than an A8....and Buick Enclave makes so much more sense than a Buick LaCrosse.....S-Class is still hanging on...but G90 sales are a blip...the LaCrosse is gone...the $30K and up sedans are just getting killed by cross overs.
Old 09-13-19, 07:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

They are outdated in the sense that most people want more space, something that rides higher, something easier to get into, close to similar fuel economy, and the same or similar price. For example, and Q7 or Q8 make a slightly better purchase proposition than an A8....and Buick Enclave makes so much more sense than a Buick LaCrosse.....S-Class is still hanging on...but G90 sales are a blip...the LaCrosse is gone...the $30K and up sedans are just getting killed by cross overs.
More space? What has more space then a S class or G90? They have specious front and rear seats and huge trunks? The S class and G90 are way more comfortable especially in the rear then really any SUV out. In the S class flagship category I don't think most want something that rides higher, S class and G90 have big doors, they are incredibly easy to get into. Do you honestly think people who spend this kind of money on luxury vehicles want to take it off roading, maybe in Dubai, that is about it. We are talking flagship total luxury vehicles, not 30-60K vehicles. There is no SUV that rides and drives better then a S class or G90, not even close, I doubt even that hideous Bentayga or Cullinan ride and drive better and they get way worse fuel economy.

For room are you talking about the cramped 3rd row seats in a Q7 that nobody wants to be stuffed back there.

The Audi Q7 and Q8 are not in the same league as a S class or G90, they don't offer the attention to detail, all the luxury, power/acceleration of S class or G90, you can't even get a 8 cylinder in the Audi's and the V6 only makes 335hp. They start in the 50's and 60's so they are built down to starting at that price and not competitors in any real way to a S class or G90, the Audi's are pretty ugly too.

G90 at one point had respectable sales before the whole dealer/branding fiasco, it was often 2nd or 3rd place, it may take some time to recover from that.
Old 09-13-19, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Excellent points, UDel. The American public has embraced SUVs over sedans partly on real merits, and, as you note, partly on imagined ones.
Old 09-13-19, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Lacrosse isn’t close to as good a ride as a G90 lol

And many of these crossovers ride great There are absolutely crossovers that ride as well as an S Class or G90 or my LS. Range Rover, X7, GLS, even the Q7 or a GLE with the air suspension ride extremely well.
Old 09-13-19, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

They are outdated in the sense that most people want more space, something that rides higher, something easier to get into, close to similar fuel economy, and the same or similar price. For example, and Q7 or Q8 make a slightly better purchase proposition than an A8....and Buick Enclave makes so much more sense than a Buick LaCrosse.....S-Class is still hanging on
you make good points about north america but it’s not quite that way elsewhere in the world.

...but G90 sales are a blip
In N. America sure for the 2017-2019 model, but don’t know if you read the article i posted, but in s. Korea it’s selling very well.
Old 09-13-19, 09:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
More space? What has more space then a S class or G90? They have specious front and rear seats and huge trunks? The S class and G90 are way more comfortable especially in the rear then really any SUV out.
So i had 2 suv’s then went back to a (g90) sedan. Why? Because your point is right in one way, but not in another. The g90 has TONS of passenger room, and i’m a tall guy and LOVE not having to move front seats forward to make COMFORTABLE room in the back seats for friends and family. First car i’ve had this much room. My explorer and grand cherokee suvs weren’t even close. And now 3 row crossovers, unless they’re HUGE, mostly don’t have great second row room in order to not have the 3rd row be useless. I think the lexus rx sells well because the 2nd row is VERY roomy, and when they made the RXL they basically stuffed in a 3rd row only for ‘little people’ at best.

The buick enclave and cousin chevy traverse have impressive 2nd and 3rd rows though as does the tank QX80.

Where your point is wrong though is that despite huge passenger space and big trunks, these big sedans can’t carry a piece of furniture for example. I did that quite often, or LOADS of boxes, in my suvs. Not happening in a sedan because the cargo room just isn’t as tall or boxy. Also, the step in height is definitely lower on a sedan, and most suvs are more comfortable to get in and out of. Less bending/twisting.

That’s why i’m not sure what i’ll get next time.

Do you honestly think people who spend this kind of money on luxury vehicles want to take it off roading, maybe in Dubai, that is about it. We are talking flagship total luxury vehicles, not 30-60K vehicles. There is no SUV that rides and drives better then a S class or G90, not even close, I doubt even that hideous Bentayga or Cullinan ride and drive better and they get way worse fuel economy.
i’ve not driven one but i expect the 2020 mercedes gls rides beautifully. I also have high hopes for the upcoming genesis gv80 (and possible gv90). There’s also a gv70 coming but that’s smaller and i’m not interested.

G90 at one point had respectable sales before the whole dealer/branding fiasco, it was often 2nd or 3rd place, it may take some time to recover from that.
True that (in n. America at least)... i think this new 2020 will improve sales some, but genesis is well aware that they need suvs.
Old 09-14-19, 05:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

And many of these crossovers ride great There are absolutely crossovers that ride as well as an S Class or G90 or my LS. Range Rover, X7, GLS, even the Q7 or a GLE with the air suspension ride extremely well.
Everyone single one of these cross-overs is praised for its ride from CR. The Range Rover gets a comment such as"fantastic ride comfort" where as a G90 gets a "comfortable ride".....but then again the S-class has a comment of "Has the most comfortable ride of any car we've tested"

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Of the alternative models mentioned, only the Avalon has much of a future in the U S.
Made a mistake. Avalon has a 98 I did not think CR numbers can get that high. "It didn’t take us long to appreciate the plush ride and newfound agility." Eventually, the Avalon will be the last large size $40K sedan standing.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-14-19 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-14-19, 06:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Subjective opinion, but, in general, true for the Lacrosse with 20" wheels, and most definitely not true for the Lacrosse with 18" wheels. There is a noticeable difference in the comfort level of the Lacrosse with those two wheel packages and/or with AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-19 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-14-19, 06:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Subjective, but I strongly disagree....I own a Lacrosse, and have sampled G90s.
Truthfully, and respectfully...I do not think you are going to convince anyone that the LaCrosse ride is comparable, or better than a G90
Old 09-14-19, 06:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Truthfully, and respectfully...I do not think you are going to convince anyone that the LaCrosse ride is comparable, or better than a G90
Thanks, but I couldn't care less. They don't live with (and enjoy) the car every day...I do.

Outside of bit, the G90 doesn't seem to be selling head over heels either.
Old 09-14-19, 06:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

can we please drop the buick lacrosse out of this thread? it's a nice car, roomy, smooth and quiet to be sure, but has absolutely nothing to do with the g90 or s-class.

here's g90 sales to date. i noticed it's now been on sale for 3 years! 2018 was a BAD year, mainly because there was no supply and as they made the switch to separate franchise agreements for selling genesis (vs. the old add-on to hyundai) there were simply NO dealers for a big chunk of the year. 2019's been slow and steady but nowhere near back to 2017 levels.

while these numbers are indeed tiny, the new 2020 model may step things up some but again, the main need, and what's coming is 2 or 3 suvs.

Quick Reply: Boss vs bargain Large Luxury showdown?