Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Boss vs bargain Large Luxury showdown?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can we please drop the buick lacrosse out of this thread? it's a nice car, roomy, smooth and quiet to be sure, but has absolutely nothing to do with the g90 or s-class.
That's fine with me. After I dropped it, others keep bringing it up.

here's g90 sales to date. i noticed it's now been on sale for 3 years! 2018 was a BAD year, mainly because there was no supply and as they made the switch to separate franchise agreements for selling genesis (vs. the old add-on to hyundai) there were simply NO dealers for a big chunk of the year. 2019's been slow and steady but nowhere near back to 2017 levels.
A significant problem with the 2019 G90 sales was that (ridiculous, IMO) infighting between the Hyundai and Genesis Divisions over what franchises (and where) were going to handle the 2019 Genesis models. Here in the D.C. area, it was not resolved until late spring of this year....which is one reason why I had to go somewhat out of my way to sample a G70. The closest Genesis shop (which was huge) that handled the 2018 models simply couldn't get 2019's. Fortunately, that was finally resolved a few months ago, and 2019 sales returned to normal (for Genesis)....but, of course, the yearly total may be affected because of the winter and spring delay.

I strongly suspect that, in today's overheated SUV market, the upcoming GV80 will also impact on both G80 and G90 sales....not sure about the G70.
Old 09-14-19, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Everyone single one of these cross-overs is praised for its ride from CR. The Range Rover gets a comment such as"fantastic ride comfort" where as a G90 gets a "comfortable ride".....but then again the S-class has a comment of "Has the most comfortable ride of any car we've tested"

I've obviously driven all of these vehicles multiple times as I bought a large luxury sedan just 18 months ago and seriously considered an SUV like a Range Rover. At that echelon, its "degrees of greatness". They all ride incredibly well, my car, the S Class, the Range Rover, the 7 Series, the A8, the Q8 the Q7 with air suspension, the X7, G90 on and on. The S Class MAY have a little polish about it that say, a 7 Series lacks, but day in and day out, every one of these vehicles is going to delight the driver with their ride, and if your eyes are covered you'd be hard pressed to say which vehicle was which. And that slight difference here or there you'll forget about when you drive whatever other car is at that same level.

What the G90 lacks is an air suspension, so when compared to say my LS with air suspension or a car like a 7 Series, S Class, A8 Range Rover, etc that all have standard air suspension it lacks some of the really polished feel...but still, the G90 is a great riding car and that too is never going to make the driver say "I wish this rode better".

Whats incredible about say a Range Rover, or to a slightly lesser extend an X7 or GLS or Q8 or Q7 w/air is that they can deliver that kind of ride comfort AND be as capable and as practical as they are. Thats what always draws me to them over another sedan when I trade.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Truthfully, and respectfully...I do not think you are going to convince anyone that the LaCrosse ride is comparable, or better than a G90
Its just not. It may ride softly (and it does) but it lacks the sophistication and solid feel that a car at the G90's level has. Same is true of an ES or an Avalon, etc. Dramatically less sophisticated suspension than the G90, and when you talk about cars above the G90 that have an air suspension on top of a multilink high end suspension setup its not even a comparison.

Thats why these cars cost so much more. Whether that difference is worth the cost of entry vs something like a Lacrosse or ES or Avalon depends on you as a buyer. Personally? I'll never go back to that sort of car now that I'm used to this sort of car. I would just keep the flagship level car I have longer if I couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for a new comparable car. I would consider a Range Rover, GLS, X7, etc in that same echelon. Of course, the prospect of owning one of those at high mileage is scary lol