Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Boss vs bargain Large Luxury showdown?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-19, 11:41 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Boss vs bargain Large Luxury showdown?

is this the rebirth of the 90s Lexus but with a genesis badge?
Old 09-13-19, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Long live big comfortable sedans.

Given the choice between specifically those two, I'd buy the G90, hands-down, for several reasons. But I'd also point out that the Lacrosse, Impala, MKZ, Avalon, and Cadenza give almost (not quite) the same level of comfort at half or less of the price....and a little more for a K900. That makes them, IMO, the best buys of all......particularly the Lacrosse.

BTW, we don't really see the actor's face, but that voice in the first part of the video (commercial) sounds like Clint Eastwood.
Old 09-13-19, 12:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Of the alternative models mentioned, only the Avalon has much of a future in the U S.
Old 09-13-19, 01:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber

is this the rebirth of the 90s Lexus but with a genesis badge?
I think Genesis has been out for about about 3 years. They have 0.06% of the market share. Lexus has 1.72%, to get to Lexua levels, Genesis would need to sell 278,000 more units per year.
Old 09-13-19, 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That makes them, IMO, the best buys of all......particularly the Lacrosse.
You can get a LaCrosse with up 20% off.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Of the alternative models mentioned, only the Avalon has much of a future in the U S.
Agreed. The Avalon gets a 92 CR rating, higher than the G90
Old 09-13-19, 01:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Given the choice between specifically those two, I'd buy the G90, hands-down, for several reasons.

the one big benefit of the benz though is air suspension which most likely provide a better ride, although i was in my neighbor's s550 and didn't think the ride was actually better.

But I'd also point out that the Lacrosse, Impala, MKZ, Avalon, and Cadenza give almost (not quite) the same level of comfort at half or less of the price...
haha nice try, but not even close. first off none of those vehicles is as roomy inside as the g90. second, none of those are anywhere near as luxurious. none has the quality of leather, wood, and fit/finish of the g90. and finally i don't know which if any of those includes all maintenance and pickup/dropoff/loaners so you never have to set foot in the dealer (my favorite feature ).

and a little more for a K900.
the k900 is the ultimate stealth luxury car and i believe the best bargain in luxury cars in the u.s. i might even consider one for my next purchase. was actually imagining the other day having the local kia and genesis dealerships duke it out for my business (they're not owned by the same company here). but that's a long way off (3/21).

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think Genesis has been out for about about 3 years. They have 0.06% of the market share. Lexus has 1.72%, to get to Lexua levels, Genesis would need to sell 278,000 more units per year.
maybe so but of course genesis only has no crossovers/suvs (the majority of lexus sales) but has 3 sedans, one of which is now old and about to be replaced (g80), one that isn't very old (since 2017, the g90) but is being replaced by a hugely overhauled and improved one (already out in canada, u.s. next year i think), and one which hasn't been out long (g70).

so while you're math may not be wrong, i don't know, genesis and lexus are not really comparable at all because of the product line sizes and scope.

The Avalon gets a 92 CR rating, higher than the G90
comparing the avalon and the g90 is like comparing a corolla and a lexus es.
Old 09-13-19, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha nice try, but not even close. first off none of those vehicles is as roomy inside as the g90. second, none of those are anywhere near as luxurious. none has the quality of leather, wood, and fit/finish of the g90. and finally i don't know which if any of those includes all maintenance and pickup/dropoff/loaners so you never have to set foot in the dealer (my favorite feature ).
On a comfort level, it is indeed close. While I concede that I don't have the ownership experience of the G90 that you do, neither do you have the Lacrosse experience that I do.
Ride comfort and noise level is what the Lacrosse excels in....better, in some cases, than some sedans twice the price. Where the G90 clearly excels (and, yes, I will admit that.....in fact, I myself have posted about the Genesis excellence in this area, many times) is the quality/solidness of its materials and construction. The Koreans don't seem to have given in to ever-thiner and lighter materials....though I don't care for some of the trends I've seen in the latest Telluride and Palisade.

the one big benefit of the benz though is air suspension which most likely provide a better ride, although i was in my neighbor's s550 and didn't think the ride was actually better.
Air suspensions may cushion the ride some, but they are notorious for unreliability and a high failure rate......and one can just imagine what repairs/replacement will cost on an S-Class out of warranty. To add insult to injury, Mercedes gives you only a 4/50 warranty on the entire vehicle, even the drivetrain. Genesis, in contrast, is 10/100 and 5/60.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-19 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-13-19, 03:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

On a comfort level, it is indeed close. While I concede that I don't have the ownership experience of the G90 that you do, neither do you have the Lacrosse experience that I do.
Ride comfort and noise level is what the Lacrosse excels in....better, in some cases, than some sedans twice the price. Where the G90 clearly excels (and, yes, I will admit that.....in fact, I myself have posted about the Genesis excellence in this area, many times) is the quality/solidness of its materials and construction. The Koreans don't seem to have given in to ever-thiner and lighter materials....though I don't care for some of the trends I've seen in the latest Telluride and Palisade.
I don't know if it's been discussed or not, but have you considered waiting as long as you can, and buying a new Lacrosse at an attractive price while there is still a decent selection of them?
Old 09-13-19, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know if it's been discussed or not, but have you considered waiting as long as you can, and buying a new Lacrosse at an attractive price while there is still a decent selection of them?
It has been discussed, but this is probably not the thread to do it. Here, we are concentrating primarily on the S550 and G90. I only brought up the issue of some less-expensive sedans because one does not necessarily have to spend the kind of $$$$$ these cars cost to get ride comfort. But the G90 is, without question (and even the G80, to an extent) a cut above these lesser sedans in the quality of its materials...the Genesis trademark. Every time I get into or sample a Genesis product I am impressed with the way it is built.
Old 09-13-19, 03:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Get the LaCrosse while you can. I saw one a while back, $20,000 off the sticker price.
Old 09-13-19, 04:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I only brought up the issue of some less-expensive sedans because one does not necessarily have to spend the kind of $$$$$ these cars cost to get ride comfort. .
I don’t think anyone has ever said you need to spend crazy money for ride comfort. With that said, isolation and softly sprung is not the same definition of ride comfort to others. I would say the LaCrosse has been completely rejected by consumers. Same with the G90. LS500. A8 as well
Old 09-13-19, 04:41 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Genesis will never take a bite out of Mercedes sales numbers like Lexus did in the 90's but I think the G90 is a amazing car for the money(they are crazy charging 90K for one though) and I think it may even match the S class a little closer then the LS did in the 90's. A G90 will be on my very short list of my next car or in addition to my current one, I like just about everything about them and what they offer, hopefully they turn out to be reliable and not the headaches most flagships can turn out to be once they are out of warranty.
Old 09-13-19, 04:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

I would say the LaCrosse has been completely rejected by consumers. Same with the G90. LS500. A8 as well
lol, well the g90 may not sell well in the u.s., but there's other parts of the world... check out how it does domestically.

Domestic sales of South Korean luxury cars jumped some twofold in recent months thanks to demand for new cars and more competitive models, industry data showed Sunday.

According to the findings by the Korea Automobile Manufacturers Association (KAMA), sales of the Genesis G90 and Kia K9 flagship sedans reached 1,955 units in November, up 78.1 percent from a year ago. Numbers shot up to 3,221 units for a gain of 235.5 percent on-year in December, with corresponding figures reaching 2,434 and 1,866 vehicles in the first two months of the year, respectively.

The sales number for January and February are an increase of 128.3 percent and 111.6 percent, respectively, from a year earlier.

KAMA said the uber luxury G90, the top of the line model for Genesis, Hyundai Motor Co.'s luxury brand, reached 3,000 units on the first day of preorders, with total sales of the full-size vehicle already exceeding the 5,000 unit mark.

The K9, also referred to as the K900 in foreign markets like the United States, sold an average of more than 1,000 vehicles from April of last year to January.

The association said solid sales come as consumers are drawn to new models and import carmakers, such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW, suffered from supply problems.

"To some degree supply shortages by foreign brands caused local car buyers to opt for new domestic offerings by Genesis and Kia," a source at the automobile association said.

Reflecting this, sales of cars made by the two German luxury carmakers all declined from November 2018 through last month.

The industry insider added that carmakers are paying more attention to luxury models because they cannot be easily usurped by SUVs that are in a totally different segment and are in high demand at present.

Numbers showed that while overall passenger sedan sales in Asia's fourth-largest economy contracted 11.9 percent on-year in February to 44,141 units, demand for luxury models jumped 111.6 percent.

The percentage of luxury car sales that stood at just 1.9 percent of the total in 2017, rose to 3.1 percent last year and stood at 4.6 percent as of February this year.

"Taking into account the importance of flagship models, the recent increase is a positive development," a representative for a local carmaker said.

He added that with the release of the all-new Genesis G80 expected in the second half of the year and the launch of the BMW's new 3 series coming at around the same time, competition for the domestic luxury carmaker is expected to heat up in the coming months. (Yonhap)
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tec...19_265091.html
Old 09-13-19, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t think anyone has ever said you need to spend crazy money for ride comfort. With that said, isolation and softly sprung is not the same definition of ride comfort to others. I would say the LaCrosse has been completely rejected by consumers. Same with the G90. LS500. A8 as well
I think you're comparing apples and oranges. True, all of these sedans did not exactly fly out the front doors of dealerships...but that is more because of SUVs than anything else. People want that high seating position, ground clearance, AWD, and cargo-space in back. As for the LS500, unlike the other sedans you mentioned, there is the additional factor that Lexus simply blew the last redesign, by taking out some of the former engine, sound insulation, and ride comfort. Too much cost-cutting pays its price.
Old 09-13-19, 05:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I'm not even sure what I would buy in this class, but it wouldn't be an S Class. I guess I'm not the target demographic. Between the G90 and the S Class, I'd take the G90, but there are a lot of cars I'd take before a G90 or Mercedes.

But this is a great job done by Genesis. I really like the brand and what they are trying to do. So fun to see and watch a new entrant.

Quick Reply: Boss vs bargain Large Luxury showdown?