Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 06:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I don't understand how you don't seem to get this either.

Seems to me you're fishing for a pizzing contest which I don't care to get into.

I just find it odd that you criticize an LX for being old and outdated when you basically drive the sedan equivalent? A 2017 LS460 is a ten year old platform.
Because I'm looking at it objectively.

I never said the LS didn't need to be redesigned even though I bought one. The LS is a special car to me, I extensively drove everything in the segment, and the LS although old still rode as well as the newer entries and was as smooth and quiet, where it fell down was technology which didn't really matter to me. I also chose it because I felt that Lexus was going to drop the V8 and to to a firmer, sportier drive setup on the next gen car. I had a car in front of me that fit all my wants equipmentwise and color wise, no more were being built so inventory was drying up and I had an incredible deal on it so I took it. Had I had confidence that Lexus would have stayed with a comfort and ride biased car I would have waited for the new LS for sure. Turns out, I was right and the LS500 was everything I felt it would be and I'm happy with the choice I made. Buying today when a new LS460L isnt a possibility, I would not buy a Lexus.

The LX does not hold up to modern unibody large SUVs the way the LS460 does/did with modern full size luxury sedans. I've driven them all...the LX is bloated, ponderous, rides choppily and feels very heavy, slow and unweildy compared to modern vehicles that really are a dream to drive.

And again, sales tell the story. Nobody is buying the LX. Whether or not YOU like it or I like it, we're having a objective discussion about the vehicle as a sold commodity here.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-29-19 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-29-19, 07:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Because I'm looking at it objectively.

I never said the LS didn't need to be redesigned even though I bought one. The LS is a special car to me, I extensively drove everything in the segment, and the LS although old still rode as well as the newer entries and was as smooth and quiet, where it fell down was technology which didn't really matter to me. I also chose it because I felt that Lexus was going to drop the V8 and to to a firmer, sportier drive setup on the next gen car. I had a car in front of me that fit all my wants equipmentwise and color wise, no more were being built so inventory was drying up and I had an incredible deal on it so I took it. Had I had confidence that Lexus would have stayed with a comfort and ride biased car I would have waited for the new LS for sure. Turns out, I was right and the LS500 was everything I felt it would be and I'm happy with the choice I made. Buying today when a new LS460L isnt a possibility, I would not buy a Lexus.

The LX does not hold up to modern unibody large SUVs the way the LS460 does/did with modern full size luxury sedans. I've driven them all...the LX is bloated, ponderous, rides choppily and feels very heavy, slow and unweildy compared to modern vehicles that really are a dream to drive.

And again, sales tell the story. Nobody is buying the LX. Whether or not YOU like it or I like it, we're having a objective discussion about the vehicle as a sold commodity here.
I've not driven an LX before, believe me I'm very eager. I've sat in a few and the door thunk shamed anything I've ever experienced, ever. I thought my LS was the best, uh no.

I don't care for unibody SUVs (crossovers), it's just a personal preference. Even if they are "a dream to drive." I get it, people like them. I'm not a fan.

I like real trucks. My LS is currently uninsured/unregistered temporarily so I don't drive it much out of the neighborhood. Spouse went out of town for work last week so I had the IS350 at my disposal. That car is plenty dreamy to drive, a rocket, but I chose to drive my old, out of alignment truck the majority of the time.

Also I don't think Lexus expects to sell 12k LX570s a year. In that article I posted way back from 2015 Lexus basically said that, and that it's such a low volume vehicle they're "practically handbuilt." And in any case it's rumored that there won't be a North American replacement, which sucks.

As soon as I can get a test drive in I can't wait to report. If it drives like a truck that's fine with me, can you honestly tell me it's not a comfortable vehicle? If you don't like the driving dynamics of a BOF SUV, fine, but that's just your preference.

My other vehicle is an LS so it will be interesting to see how they compare, overall comfort-wise. I know it's not going to track at 95MPH down the freeway like my LS does, believe me. But there could be other things that make up for it?

And FWIW I do see a good amount of LXs around here, but this is a very SUV heavy area. GXs are what I see the most of though.
Old 09-29-19, 07:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I've not driven an LX before, believe me I'm very eager. I've sat in a few and the door thunk shamed anything I've ever experienced, ever. I thought my LS was the best, uh no.

I don't care for unibody SUVs (crossovers), it's just a personal preference. Even if they are "a dream to drive." I get it, people like them. I'm not a fan.

I like real trucks. My LS is currently uninsured/unregistered temporarily so I don't drive it much out of the neighborhood. Spouse went out of town for work last week so I had the IS350 at my disposal. That car is plenty dreamy to drive, a rocket, but I chose to drive my old, out of alignment truck the majority of the time.

Also I don't think Lexus expects to sell 12k LX570s a year. In that article I posted way back from 2015 Lexus basically said that, and that it's such a low volume vehicle they're "practically handbuilt." And in any case it's rumored that there won't be a North American replacement, which sucks.

As soon as I can get a test drive in I can't wait to report. If it drives like a truck that's fine with me, can you honestly tell me it's not a comfortable vehicle? If you don't like the driving dynamics of a BOF SUV, fine, but that's just your preference.

My other vehicle is an LS so it will be interesting to see how they compare, overall comfort-wise. I know it's not going to track at 95MPH down the freeway like my LS does, believe me. But there could be other things that make up for it?

And FWIW I do see a good amount of LXs around here, but this is a very SUV heavy area. GXs are what I see the most of though.
Sit in a new Navigator, G wagon and then in a LX. Report back what you felt. Experience is everything with a vehicle dynamically speaking.
Old 09-29-19, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've not driven an LX before
then what are we even talking about? You need to go drive one and drive the competition too.

All of that is great, but it doesn't mean anything if you aren't the target consumer for the vehicle we're talking about. Sales figures show the vast majority of buyers what a modern, unibody less trucklike experience.

Also I don't think Lexus expects to sell 12k LX570s a year. In that article I posted way back from 2015 Lexus basically said that, and that it's such a low volume vehicle they're "practically handbuilt."
The point is they are leaving thousands of sales on the table by not being competitive in this segment. And what would you expect Lexus to say? Its not handbuilt, its built in a plant like every other car.

And in any case it's rumored that there won't be a North American replacement, which sucks.
There will be a large luxury SUV Lexus, it may just not be the LX. It will be something more modern they will sell a ton more of.

can you honestly tell me it's not a comfortable vehicle? If you don't like the driving dynamics of a BOF SUV, fine, but that's just your preference.
Its not that its uncomfortable, its just tiring to drive. If you're driving down a flat straight highway its great, but anywhere its its tiring to drive. There are just many way better vehicles for the money, which is the point Doug made in his review. As much as I love Lexus, the LX would be literally the last vehicle in the segment I would choose.

And if you like BOF SUVs, the new Navigator is BOF and blows the LX away. Even the Escalade does. The QX80 is way behind in tech (even behind Lexus) but at least its much cheaper.
Old 09-29-19, 07:33 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

There will be a re-designed LX.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They sold 440 LXs in August, Range Rover sold 1,000 full Range Rovers, BMW sold 1,700 X7s, MB Sold 1,200 GLS...this is a hot market, and actual consumers are showing that the LX is not what they want.

With a modern offering, I bet they can sell 1,300 LXs a month easy.
That segment is what the LF-1 is for. We all know Lexus tends to enter a new segment in a later stage than competitors. The NX and UX came very late and still did well. Apple also wasn't the first to a lot of tech features that Samsung beat them to. Being first to segment isn't for everybody.

Lexus will have both brand new BOF LX and unibody LF-1.

Last edited by G Star; 09-29-19 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-29-19, 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

AJT123, this isn’t about whether the LX is good or bad here, it’s about the fact that car makers cater to who is buying or leasing NEW vehicles. The used car business has become very important to dealers, and car makers have their CPO programs to provide some consistency and warranty for used cars that also helps dealers, but car makers are primarily about new car sales and leases, so they ONLY care about what drives (ha) people who buy/lease new to pick one vehicle over another. Since you do not buy new, you do not factor into their calculations even if you think the LX is the greatest vehicle ever made. It doesn’t matter.
Old 09-29-19, 07:49 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Sit in a new Navigator, G wagon and then in a LX. Report back what you felt. Experience is everything with a vehicle dynamically speaking.
are we talking about a 2018 or 2019 G wagen? i haven't driven the 2019, but the 2018 G550 feels about 30 years older to use than the 2018 land cruiser, and is noticeably less comfortable and more cramped inside
Old 09-30-19, 04:52 AM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m amazed at the blind loyalty some on here will maintain to Lexus or any other brand. It is absolutely asinine. What Doug said was spot on!!!! IMPROVEMENTS ARE NEEDED and that’s the bottom line. I would have gone further and complained about the absolutely HORRIBLE second row seat comfort: toe space is non existent. Thigh support is TERRIBLE. Lexus needs to take a page out of the Lincoln navigator’s book for interior ambiance and mood lighting. Criticism is the only way to demand better. Perhaps more blind followers could appreciate that in the interim.
Old 09-30-19, 11:17 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
are we talking about a 2018 or 2019 G wagen? i haven't driven the 2019, but the 2018 G550 feels about 30 years older to use than the 2018 land cruiser, and is noticeably less comfortable and more cramped inside
You might be overthinking this. I`m referring to the MY19 G and LX, since the My18 is no longer available new.
Old 09-30-19, 11:39 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

You might be overthinking this. I`m referring to the MY19 G and LX, since the My18 is no longer available new.
i saw that you said new but i'm sure there's people out there who'd consider something a year old to still be 'new' even if not brand new
Old 09-30-19, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
AJT123, this isn’t about whether the LX is good or bad here, it’s about the fact that car makers cater to who is buying or leasing NEW vehicles. The used car business has become very important to dealers, and car makers have their CPO programs to provide some consistency and warranty for used cars that also helps dealers, but car makers are primarily about new car sales and leases, so they ONLY care about what drives (ha) people who buy/lease new to pick one vehicle over another. Since you do not buy new, you do not factor into their calculations even if you think the LX is the greatest vehicle ever made. It doesn’t matter.
Exactly spot on
Old 09-30-19, 01:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

LX570 I want for all those reasons. I don't want the '16+, though. The looks are a little OTT, and the tires have basically no sidewall for one of the most capable vehicles produced. Very counterproductive.

I want a '13-'15 because I like the looks of those better, and it has meaty 20" rims that you could throw legit off road tires on and it would look good still, maybe even better.

I know it's an old vehicle, but the engineering and quality control that goes into these approaches insanity, so I really don't care. What other vehicle has a button to turn the side airbags off because it assumes you might find yourself at an angle off-roading where the airbags would deploy? Toyota apparently does 3 grueling reliability stages or "tests" with these. They are absolutely unstoppable and vehicles that will last for 25 years. There's a reason the Land Cruiser is an $80,000 vehicle, because all of the might and engineering of Toyota goes into them, old or not. The Lexus version is just the cherry on top with all the luxury upgrades.

DeMuro I can't stand and he doesn't even know that much about cars, I never watch his reviews but this one I did.

Here is my OP. I don't care if it drives like a truck etc etc-- it will last for 20 years. These don't sell very much as we've been over, but there are new car buyers who would buy this Lexus LX just for the reliability and build quality.

I'm not an idiot.....I'm aware that car companies make cars for new car buyers.

I wasn't aware I'm not allowed to voice an opinion on here.
Old 09-30-19, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wasn't aware I'm not allowed to voice an opinion on here.
You certainly are, its just the discussions in here tend to be more objectively focused. The discussion is about Doug's review in which he compared the vehicle to its competitors...and didnt feel it competed favorably in the areas where target buyers make their decisions. ..which is supported by comparing sales figures. Your opinion is well and fine, but you aren't the target buyer, and what you want isn't necessarily the right direction for Lexus to take objectively.
Old 09-30-19, 04:01 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did and I still found the new G-wagon to be a bit cramped COMPARED to the LX. Seat comfort wise, Lexus seats have always beaten Benz seats even with the new G-Wagon getting the S-Class seats. I like the two displays side by side in the Benz, but that is not a deal breaker as I am watching the road 99% of the time. Ride quality is pretty much the same. And the main issue that I have with the Lexus is that it has no *****. The acceleration of the G-Wagon in a car like that is amazing. That's about it, I ended up choosing the LX over the G-Wagon as I like the comfort and roomy interior.
Old 09-30-19, 06:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I did and I still found the new G-wagon to be a bit cramped COMPARED to the LX. Seat comfort wise, Lexus seats have always beaten Benz seats even with the new G-Wagon getting the S-Class seats. I like the two displays side by side in the Benz, but that is not a deal breaker as I am watching the road 99% of the time. Ride quality is pretty much the same. And the main issue that I have with the Lexus is that it has no *****. The acceleration of the G-Wagon in a car like that is amazing. That's about it, I ended up choosing the LX over the G-Wagon as I like the comfort and roomy interior.
Both LX and G wagon are cool. I like the older G wagon with the solid axles better. No doubt the new G is outstanding inside. Same with Navigator. But there is just so something awesome about Lexus LX and and LC vehicles along with their other body on frame models. They are not for everyone

Quick Reply: Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570