Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19, 01:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

To be fair, other vehicles offer all of those benefits and are better to drive.
Old 09-14-19, 02:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To be fair, other vehicles offer all of those benefits and are better to drive.
But they don’t carry the resale. The reliability. And long term ownership. So, on the one hand, they may drive better (opinion, yours) , but on the other hand, those that like Toyota or Lexus body on frame models for whatever reason keep them longer than competition and other Toyota or Lexus models.
Old 09-14-19, 02:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But they don’t carry the resale. The reliability. And long term ownership. So, on the one hand, they may drive better (opinion, yours) , but on the other hand, those that like Toyota or Lexus body on frame models for whatever reason keep them longer than competition and other Toyota or Lexus models.
But that's the point of the review, its his opinion, and clearly if you look at the sales figures people find other entries in that segment far more compelling than the LX and the LC. Selling cars is a business, resale and "length of ownership" are all well and good but what counts is what people buy.

The point is in an all new platform Toyota/Lexus can deliver a vehicle that has the same reliability and capability but in a more modern package that will have a lighter easier drive like you see in the competition...which would result in a vehicle with more widespread appeal and improve sales. It doesn't have to be unibody either, just drive a Navigator or an Escalade, they drive way better.
Old 09-14-19, 02:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t think there will be another body on frame LX for the US market. This will be the last platform.
Old 09-14-19, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They'll have to have something that competes in that segment. Hopefully its a serious high end RWD based crossover
Old 09-14-19, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A large size cross over that spans the high RX, GX price points all the way to LX price points is my guess. The LX will just keep getting updated and will stay in ultra low numbers. Even lower numbers.
Old 09-14-19, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think that's the right approach. They need a bona fide full size flagship luxury SUV that can compete with the Range Rover, X7, GLS, etc. A vehicle that starts at high RX levels isn't going to be able to do that.
Old 09-14-19, 02:38 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

They'll have to have something that competes in that segment. Hopefully its a serious high end RWD based crossover
Last update on this was current Gen bows out after MY20, MY21 sees the next generation riding on something called TGNF. It's supposed to the BOF version of TGNA and giving rise to all large trucks and suvs
Old 09-14-19, 02:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think that's the right approach. They need a bona fide full size flagship luxury SUV that can compete with the Range Rover, X7, GLS, etc. A vehicle that starts at high RX levels isn't going to be able to do that.
It will be the large flagship crossover. I think there is a concept already. LX will turn into something like Mercedes Benz G wagon sort of.
Old 09-14-19, 02:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Last update on this was current Gen bows out after MY20, MY21 sees the next generation riding on something called TGNF. It's supposed to the BOF version of TGNA and giving rise to all large trucks and suvs
Toyota did say, there will be some models that do no move to TNGA design
Old 09-14-19, 02:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It will be the large flagship crossover. I think there is a concept already. LX will turn into something like Mercedes Benz G wagon sort of.
Just using the G Wagen as an example, even it has an all new version out now that drives dramatically better while retaining its character and its capability.
Old 09-14-19, 03:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.boston.com/cars/car-guid...xus-lx-reviews

Toyota trucks have a very strong and loyal following due to their reputation for longevity and capability, and while the LX is sold under the Lexus brand, customers know full well that it’s the legendary Toyota Land Cruiser under the skin.
still rather have the Toyota version. The front of the LX looks bad. I really hope they don’t go all out and change the guts too much.
Old 09-14-19, 07:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because this is so intuitively obvious

For elders, it's more the habit of grabbing a shift lever and yanking it down till it stops in "D." All of which can be done without looking or taking eyes off the road. The above accomplishes that, even if it's got the boot you don't like.
Old 09-14-19, 07:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I actually agree with Doug on this. The issue with the LX goes beyond tech, its the nature of the vehicle and how it drives. It feels heavy and ponderous while modern vehicles at that level really don't, even other big BOF SUVs like the Escalade and the Navigator dont feel that way. The LX is tiring to drive for that reason IMHO.
The lx is 200” long with just 112” of wheelbase. This is obvious when looking at it, short wheelbase and long overhangs. This won’t provide the comfortable ride of a long wheelbase proportion. And of course it’s trucky body on frame.

the ‘19 mb gls for example is 202” long with 121” of wheelbase! With its fully active air suspension too, makes for one smooth ride.
Old 09-14-19, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I think people fail to see (Doug for sure) the LX and the LC from the perspective of those who buy them. Usually they are secondary vehicles.
Not saying it’s not true, and i know it’s true for you, but how do you know that it’s true generally?

Toyota and Lexus also have problem in that they are slower selling but very satisfying for those who actually buy them....for instance, the Land Cruiser has a 11 year year ownership turnover for the first buyer, longer than any Toyota so presumably the LX is the same, how do you change a vehicle without ticking off the current clientele.
I bet toyota avalon customers keep those vehicles a long time too, but each version has been dramatically different from the previous ones.

And 11 years is an eternity in the car business, but also, over a DECADE in one’s life, not a small amount of time! Maybe people should live a little and try something else. moreover, people’s circumstances change, whether they want them to or not, and what was desirable or needed or even feasible one year isn’t necessarily so 11 years from then.

Quick Reply: Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570