Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
For elders, it's more the habit of grabbing a shift lever and yanking it down till it stops in "D."

^^^^^^ Can't quite do it that way, though, with the zig-zag shift-pattern that Lexus and some other manufacturers use. More and more vehicles, however, are dumping the zig-zags after customer complaints.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-19 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-14-19, 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

For elders, it's more the habit of grabbing a shift lever and yanking it down till it stops in "D." All of which can be done without looking or taking eyes off the road. The above accomplishes that, even if it's got the boot you don't like.
many cars now don’t have the boot but instead stubby electronic shifters (like on my g90) which also ‘stops’ at D. Actually mine only has R N D on it park is a separate button. Anyway, it’s very simple, even an ‘elder’ like me could figure it out.
Old 09-14-19, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
many cars now don’t have the boot but instead stubby electronic shifters (like on my g90) which also ‘stops’ at D. Actually mine only has R N D on it park is a separate button. Anyway, it’s very simple, even an ‘elder’ like me could figure it out.
Still, the G90 has a nice easy fore/aft pattern, without that odd L-shaped move to Reverse that the GM electronic shifters have.

Old 09-14-19, 07:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Still, the G90 has a nice easy fore/aft pattern, without that odd L-shaped move to Reverse that the GM electronic shifters have.
Yes obviously i’m biased but i really think the interior controls are great.
Old 09-14-19, 09:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A large size cross over that spans the high RX, GX price points all the way to LX price points is my guess. The LX will just keep getting updated and will stay in ultra low numbers. Even lower numbers.
It probably would be excellent in terms of simplicity, however they`d probably be sacrificing profit margins on the high end version i assume (devalue the brand).

With the SUV hot market, it`d make more sense to leave the LX at the 100k threshold, and then slot in different models in increments of 10-20k ranges from 30k to go after those who want something from first cuv to family hauler, to highway offramp beasts.
Old 09-14-19, 09:19 PM
LS1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He is right, what hes saying is pretty much non debatable. Its facts. The same thing goes for the GX its just slightly more acceptable because its less money. The whole thing is a decade behind the competition lol. The only thing it has going for it is its reliability and off road capabilities. Very good looking exterior and interior just lacks modern tech
Old 09-14-19, 09:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
It probably would be excellent in terms of simplicity, however they`d probably be sacrificing profit margins on the high end version i assume (devalue the brand).

With the SUV hot market, it`d make more sense to leave the LX at the 100k threshold, and then slot in different models in increments of 10-20k ranges from 30k to go after those who want something from first cuv to family hauler, to highway offramp beasts.
My thoughts are this on Toyota body on frame strategy, and they include Lexus like always. I have said this before There is 100% certainty an economic downturn is on its way. Global auto sales are slowing, China is slowing and the US is now slowing for sales. Once the downturn hits, 4Runner, GX, Tundra, Tacoma, LC, Seq, and Land Cruiser will be devastated for sales (I truly don’t care about competition but their sales will be hit too) If profits are sky high for these models, it makes very little incentive to invest at this point in a new platform when, sales are slowing and a bottoming out is gonna happen, so once the bottoming out occurs, only then can you see the future, downsize, properly forecast, and thus Toyota green lights these platforms. In the last 80 years, Toyota’s first loss was in 2009 at the recession bottom, Toyota spent how many much on the Tundra investment only to have a recession hit. dToyota brass won’t let it happen again. That said, a cross over to appeal to former GS, LS buyers and those who shun the GX or want something better than the RX is on the way IMO.....something shared with other Lexus and Toyota platforms. This would be the best approach.

For reference. When Toyota debuted the current 4Runner, it was in late 2009 as a 2010 model, their first year sales were 46K, right now they are selling 140K...why risk it. There is no point making a new LX right now.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-14-19 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 05:29 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LX is Toyota product and it depends on whatever Toyota wants to do with LC. Lexus had ages to develop their own RWD flagship SUV especially after witnessing success of Range Rover, X5 and Cayenne but they decided to go safe cost cutting route with Toyota reskin.
Old 09-15-19, 06:26 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
You can’t honestly think I was serious.

I have no no need to “put her in line” and the money in our house is “ours” not “mine”. It’s not about seeking her permission to spend our money, but about respecting her opinion on decisions that impact our life together.

Thanks for the marital advice but we’re doing fine.
First off, I'm glad you're doing fine!!! I 'guess' that all that matters....
Next, you said "you can't honestly think I was serious" but then went on to defend what you said....lol. But if you guys have TOGETHER money, that, obviously, needs to be discussed to be spent. Together money should be for the things spent together (bills, vacation, family vehicles, kids, etc).

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm going to guess you're not married, and very young LOL

First off, JDR was kidding like he said. Its a common phrase "my wife would kill me", if you're actually worried about your wife murdering you for buying a car then you should probably find some sort of shelter or something.

With that said, when you get married you become partners. If you're just going to run around and have "your" money and "her" money and make decisions separately without involving each other...why be married? You can live together and be separate people and not be married. What do you do if one spouse dramatically out-earns the other spouse? Does the one spouse live a lifestyle of someone making $40k a year and the other spouse live a $200k a year lifestyle? What if you have young children and one spouse stays home and has no income? Is that spouse just not allowed to spend without "asking"?

Marriage is a partnership, and in any partnership both partners have a say in what the other partner does as it impacts their partnership. My wife doesnt work, and I dont "ask for permission" before making a major purchase, but we definitely discuss it. I don't just come home and say "look at my new car" or "we own a vacation home in the south of France now" lol

My wife and I dont dictate to each other what we can and cannot do, but we certainly involve each other in major purchase decisions, and if one of us has a strong negative opinion about something the other wants to do, thats something we work out...and yes something that sometimes one of us doesnt do because the other partner doesnt think it would be a good idea.
If 36 is "very young", then yes, I am😎. I am VERY successful with my relationship of 8 years plus and it works for that reason.
And to your other point, why is it fair for someone to have worked hard their entire life, college, business, etc, and let's say be making $300k per year. Wife is making $40k a year. The mentalities/way each person thinks about money (both saving/budgeting and spending) will be TOTALLY different! No denying that!
I've owned my own, very successful, business for now 13 years. No doubt about it my girl wreaths the benefits from it, but in no way, shape, form of fashion will there be a limit on my hard earned money/work.
Do a quick Google search about the divorce rate in the USA (super high/WELL OVER 50%) then do a search about the #1 cause of divorce. MONEY is the answer! Different entities to that such as (but not limited to): one or the other marrying for money, one or the other not paying their portion of the bills, one or the other (or both) under budgeting/over spending, etc.
In my business, I talk to tons of people face to face daily, and I hear the craziest stories about divorce, relationships/money. My advice is to always have a separate accounts, and have a together account as well! WE spend out of the together account, I PLAY (if something for myself) out of MY account. Just like it wouldn't be fair if I used HER money for a Vegas trip with the fellas, she can't use mine or 'our' for her personals. That what the seperate accounts are for. Work hard, play hard....do not let anyone but yourself have full control of that! And OBVIOUSLY you have to be smart about it folks.
And SW17LS, to the 2nd half of your post, you were actually proving my points, thanks!

Sorry this thread got a bit off topic! I'll e d this post like I ended my other one....I love Doug Demuro videos and I watch every last single one! MOST of his videos are spot on, as is this one. One, however, I didn't agree with, as an F owner for almost 5 years, was his RCF video! He was way off with his thoughts, etc. Plus, he got an RCF with the dirtiest engine bay known to man! Not sure he wouldn't have that thing cleaned before he reviewed it Terrible!

V.
Old 09-15-19, 06:32 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But that's the point of the review, its his opinion, and clearly if you look at the sales figures people find other entries in that segment far more compelling than the LX and the LC. Selling cars is a business, resale and "length of ownership" are all well and good but what counts is what people buy.

The point is in an all new platform Toyota/Lexus can deliver a vehicle that has the same reliability and capability but in a more modern package that will have a lighter easier drive like you see in the competition...which would result in a vehicle with more widespread appeal and improve sales. It doesn't have to be unibody either, just drive a Navigator or an Escalade, they drive way better.
Agreed.
We all know and love that Lexus' are dead reliable, consistent, smooth, great resale value, etc. But some people want MORE than just reliability.... especially if they only plan to keep a car 1 to 5 years.... reliability wouldn't be a feature to them. They want FUN and excitement and excellent usability during the time they use it.

V.
Old 09-15-19, 07:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

For elders, it's more the habit of grabbing a shift lever and yanking it down till it stops in "D." All of which can be done without looking or taking eyes off the road. The above accomplishes that, even if it's got the boot you don't like.
Its not just elders, I just prefer a real shifter. Lots of people do, you hear a lot of complaining, it comes up in reviews, etc.

The lx is 200” long with just 112” of wheelbase. This is obvious when looking at it, short wheelbase and long overhangs. This won’t provide the comfortable ride of a long wheelbase proportion. And of course it’s trucky body on frame.

the ‘19 mb gls for example is 202” long with 121” of wheelbase! With its fully active air suspension too, makes for one smooth ride.
Its not that the LX doesnt ride well, it does. Its mostly just really heavy and ponderous and thats what makes it tiring to drive. Drive a Range Rover after, or even a Navigator or Escalade and they feel LIGHT by compariosn. Effortless.

As far as electronic shifters go, the G90s and what Audi uses are the best, they mimick the gear positioning of a regular gearshift, provide a hand rest, etc. Lots of the e shifters out there are silly though. Hondas is the worst.
Old 09-15-19, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
If 36 is "very young", then yes, I am��. I am VERY successful with my relationship of 8 years plus and it works for that reason.
You sound about 20 years old. And, 8 year RELATIONSHIP, not married. Being married is different than living together. I lived with my wife for 7 years before we got married, and we've been married for almost 11 years. Its different.

And to your other point, why is it fair for someone to have worked hard their entire life, college, business, etc, and let's say be making $300k per year. Wife is making $40k a year. The mentalities/way each person thinks about money (both saving/budgeting and spending) will be TOTALLY different! No denying that!
I've owned my own, very successful, business for now 13 years. No doubt about it my girl wreaths the benefits from it, but in no way, shape, form of fashion will there be a limit on my hard earned money/work.
Your "girl" is not your "wife". When you are married, your efforts are combined. You no longer make $300k and she makes $40k, you together make $340k. Its not about having a "limit on what you do" its about now decisions get made as a married entity, not by both of you individually. By law you are now a unit, and it takes an action of law to separate you and decide how to divide your income and your assets. For instance, if you make $300k and she makes $40k and you get divorced and you've been married for a while, you're going to be ordered to pay her alimony which proves the point, that your income is as much her income as married people as it is yours. When you buy a house, you own it as tenants by the entirety in most states which means you have an undividable common interest. If you get divorced, she's going to get half, regardless of the fact that "your income" primarily paid for it.

Do a quick Google search about the divorce rate in the USA (super high/WELL OVER 50%) then do a search about the #1 cause of divorce. MONEY is the answer!
And your attitude is going to put you on the divorced side of that 50% unless your wife just doesn't care about not being an equal party to your marriage.

My advice is to always have a separate accounts, and have a together account as well! WE spend out of the together account, I PLAY (if something for myself) out of MY account. Just like it wouldn't be fair if I used HER money for a Vegas trip with the fellas, she can't use mine or 'our' for her personals. That what the seperate accounts are for. Work hard, play hard....do not let anyone but yourself have full control of that! And OBVIOUSLY you have to be smart about it folks.
I know lots of people who do that, and we did that before we had kids and my wife stopped working, but that doesnt change anything. For one, if you make way more money than she does the living expenses aren't split 50/50. My wife had her own account but I paid 90% of the bills. If your spouse wants to be a part of large purchase decisions and you decide "its my money babe, I do what I do!" you're going to be divorced, and shocked when a judge gives her half your ****. Rightfully so. If she truly doesnt care, then whatever works for you...but my guess is she does actually care.

And SW17LS, to the 2nd half of your post, you were actually proving my points, thanks!
I don't see how but okay. I'll just make the point, we're married and you're not so best leave the marriage advice to those who have been or are married. Living with a girlfirend is totally different than being married.

Just like it wouldn't be fair if I used HER money for a Vegas trip with the fellas, she can't use mine or 'our' for her personals. That what the seperate accounts are for. Work hard, play hard....do not let anyone but yourself have full control of that!

Great example. A trip to Vegas. So, you just come home and say "Hey babe, I'm going to Vegas tomorrow with my boys, see ya later" and shes like "Okay have fun!" Thats not reality, and its not even about money. I have two kids, I come home and say that to my wife is that fair? Is that fair to our family for me to inform them that I am leaving somewhere without discussing it with them first? Is it fair for me to just leave her alone with the kids all weekend with no advanced notice?

The actual interaction is "Hey, me and the guys are planning a trip to Vegas sometime next month, are we doing anything?" "Okay, those two weekends work let me tell them". You arent asking permission, but you're discussing the plan of your life with your partner in life. If you don't do that, you arent really partners and you arent really married, even if legally you are. You're just two people who live in a house together and have fun together sometimes and have sex. Thats not being married.

When I buy a car the interaction is this "I think I'm going to trade the Lexus in on a new car" she goes "Okay, what do you think the cost difference is going to be?" I reply "$2-300 a month probably" Her "Do you think thats smart" Me "Probably not, but you know me" Her "Get a blue one". I'm not asking her permission, but I'm discussing it with her and giving her an opportunity to have her input, and then I go and do it. If she said "I really dont think you should do that, we're going to have to pay for X and Y and Z in the upcoming year, don't you think you should wait?" then I would take that into consideration. Thats showing her respect, and because she has respect for me she's never going to say "No" to something I want to do unless it involves making her do something she doesnt want to do, like trading her van in on an SUV (ask me how I know) lol.

Its not about asking permission, its about respecting the partnership.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-15-19 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-15-19, 11:37 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

LX570 I want for all those reasons. I don't want the '16+, though. The looks are a little OTT, and the tires have basically no sidewall for one of the most capable vehicles produced. Very counterproductive.

I want a '13-'15 because I like the looks of those better, and it has meaty 20" rims that you could throw legit off road tires on and it would look good still, maybe even better.

I know it's an old vehicle, but the engineering and quality control that goes into these approaches insanity, so I really don't care. What other vehicle has a button to turn the side airbags off because it assumes you might find yourself at an angle off-roading where the airbags would deploy? Toyota apparently does 3 grueling reliability stages or "tests" with these. They are absolutely unstoppable and vehicles that will last for 25 years. There's a reason the Land Cruiser is an $80,000 vehicle, because all of the might and engineering of Toyota goes into them, old or not. The Lexus version is just the cherry on top with all the luxury upgrades.

DeMuro I can't stand and he doesn't even know that much about cars, I never watch his reviews but this one I did.
Old 09-15-19, 11:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
LX is Toyota product and it depends on whatever Toyota wants to do with LC. Lexus had ages to develop their own RWD flagship SUV especially after witnessing success of Range Rover, X5 and Cayenne but they decided to go safe cost cutting route with Toyota reskin.
On the flip side, Toyota makes big profits. It is not like they are losing money.

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Agreed.
We all know and love that Lexus' are dead reliable, consistent, smooth, great resale value, etc. But some people want MORE than just reliability.... especially if they only plan to keep a car 1 to 5 years.... reliability wouldn't be a feature to them. They want FUN and excitement and excellent usability during the time they use it.
For sure. But Toyota and Lexus have been kwown as cars to keep for the long haul.

Originally Posted by AJT123
LX570 I want for all those reasons. I don't want the '16+, though. The looks are a little OTT, and the tires have basically no sidewall for one of the most capable vehicles produced. Very counterproductive.

I want a '13-'15 because I like the looks of those better, and it has meaty 20" rims that you could throw legit off road tires on and it would look good still, maybe even better.

I know it's an old vehicle, but the engineering and quality control that goes into these approaches insanity, so I really don't care. What other vehicle has a button to turn the side airbags off because it assumes you might find yourself at an angle off-roading where the airbags would deploy? Toyota apparently does 3 grueling reliability stages or "tests" with these. They are absolutely unstoppable and vehicles that will last for 25 years. There's a reason the Land Cruiser is an $80,000 vehicle, because all of the might and engineering of Toyota goes into them, old or not. The Lexus version is just the cherry on top with all the luxury upgrades.

DeMuro I can't stand and he doesn't even know that much about cars, I never watch his reviews but this one I did.
Great post!!!!

Originally Posted by AJT123
What other vehicle has a button to turn the side airbags off because it assumes you might find yourself at an angle off-roading where the airbags would deploy? T
My 4Runner has that button.
Old 09-15-19, 12:01 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Simple all the reliability in old tech goes out the window once you realize toyota sell those exacts features in other models.

Force induction= v6 twin turbo
Large digital info cluster
Carplay Aa rolling out
Massage seats ls500

The tech To make this compete exists just not yet implemented in this model...and as such hard to say demure is off base

Quick Reply: Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570