Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-19, 12:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Simple all the reliability in old tech goes out the window once you realize toyota sell those exacts features in other models.

Force induction= v6 twin turbo
Large digital info cluster
Carplay Aa rolling out
Massage seats ls500

The tech To make this compete exists just not yet implemented in this model...and as such hard to say demure is off base
Toyota has a turbo V8 diesel Lexus LX450d....its not sold in the US...Toyota could very easily put the 3.5tt in the LX...but what for? Apple Car Play, no excuse not to have it.
Old 09-15-19, 01:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
What other vehicle has a button to turn the side airbags off because it assumes you might find yourself at an angle off-roading where the airbags would deploy?
is that something you might find yourself doing?

They are absolutely unstoppable and vehicles that will last for 25 years.
do you want to keep a vehicle 25 years? life's too short to only have a handful of vehicles in a whole life!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota and Lexus have been kwown as cars to keep for the long haul.
i wonder if this is actually counter productive from a sales perspective - if 'repeat buyers' only come a decade apart, that's not as good as 3 years turns on bmw/mb leases.

Toyota has a turbo V8 diesel Lexus LX450d....its not sold in the US
wonder why and diesels for the most part are becoming a dodo bird.

Toyota could very easily put the 3.5tt in the LX...but what for?
because fuel economy and usable torque/power would improve? plus it's probably a lighter engine.

Apple Car Play, no excuse not to have it.
Old 09-15-19, 02:14 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
is that something you might find yourself doing?
Maybe. What's it to you? I can tell you that my LX will definitely go off-road, and that I'll be having fun with it. I'm buying it for utility/off roading/towing as well as a comfy cruiser.

do you want to keep a vehicle 25 years? life's too short to only have a handful of vehicles in a whole life!
That's your opinion, and again, what's it to you? My LS430 will be 16 years old next year, and I'll drive it until it just dies. I don't need fancy new technology, personally. LS430 is a damm fine automobile and it still drives like the Lexus flagship it is. I'm not the only one...LS430s are everywhere around where I live.

Also, I hate car payments. Some people don't mind paying a car/lease payment every month for life but I am definitely not one of them.

because fuel economy and usable torque/power would improve? plus it's probably a lighter engine.

No, I want the NA 5.7 V8 in my LX. Not some bs turbo six cylinder. Solid as a rock. I've seen Tundras with over a million miles-- the engine is a workhorse.

The gas mileage is awful, I'll admit, but you can use regular in an LX (which makes a difference $$ wise) and I drive a 12mpg Yukon as my daily, anyway. Don't really drive all that much honestly so I don't care either about my fuel bill.

I don't care how old it is, it's probably the most overbuilt vehicle in production....that is what is appealing to me.

With Lexus, you just wait until they come down to half price and you basically have a new car, still.
Old 09-15-19, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe. What's it to you? I can tell you that my LX will definitely go off-road, and that I'll be having fun with it. I'm buying it for utility/off roading/towing as well as a comfy cruiser.

That's your opinion, and again, what's it to you? My LS430 will be 16 years old next year, and I'll drive it until it just dies. I don't need fancy new technology, personally. LS430 is a damm fine automobile and it still drives like the Lexus flagship it is. I'm not the only one...LS430s are everywhere around where I live.

Also, I hate car payments. Some people don't mind paying a car/lease payment every month for life but I am definitely not one of them.

No, I want the NA 5.7 V8 in my LX. Not some bs turbo six cylinder. Solid as a rock. I've seen Tundras with over a million miles-- the engine is a workhorse.

The gas mileage is awful, I'll admit, but you can use regular in an LX (which makes a difference $$ wise) and I drive a 12mpg Yukon as my daily, anyway. Don't really drive all that much honestly so I don't care either about my fuel bill.

I don't care how old it is, it's probably the most overbuilt vehicle in production....that is what is appealing to me.

With Lexus, you just wait until they come down to half price and you basically have a new car, still.
Great post! I have to ask too, what’s it to them? This is a special vehicle for a very specific type of buyer.
Old 09-15-19, 02:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Great post! I have to ask too, what’s it to them? This is a special vehicle for a very specific type of buyer.
Right! No, I wouldn't pay 95k for a new one, but I'll sure as hell pay 40k for a 3-4 year old one with 60-70k miles.
Old 09-15-19, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

it's probably the most overbuilt vehicle in production.
Perhaps (?) a close second to the Mercedes G-Wagon....though it will soon probably be replaced. The G-Wagon (Gelandewagen) not only represents the OLD Mercedes from the 1980s (when they built the most durable vehicles in the world), but it was also a military vehicle, designed and built to military specs, for the German/Austrian armies.
Old 09-15-19, 02:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Let's see an X7 or Cayenne or Q7 do that, over and over.
Old 09-15-19, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Right! No, I wouldn't pay 95k for a new one, but I'll sure as hell pay 40k for a 3-4 year old one with 60-70k miles.
There you go!! I have alway liked the Land Cruiser better, but just my preference. I also like the current Tahoe, just a great size. I do like that Toyota has gone to a 2 row offering, I think the non removable 3rd row was a strange offering. Really unfortunate Toyota does not offer the large fuel capacity like they do outside of the US. They both really should have Apple Car Play at this point as well. And it quite unfortunate that there is no locking rear diff.

Are you only a fan of the LX?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-15-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Nobody is saying the LX/LC is not a great vehicle, it’s just old and outdated compared to its rivals. No denying that. Nothing stays fresh forever.
Old 09-15-19, 03:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

what's it to me was simply asking if those things you said were great were things that would actually matter to you in the end, that's all. your reasons make perfect sense, for you, and not having car payments is certainly good financially if you don't mind driving older or indeed OLD vehicles. i'm not criticizing, that's your right and choice.

yes, on autotrader it says the lx570 is rated at 12mpg city, so that kind of thurst does cost. some people like to have several vehicles, but then to me it's no longer about saving money even if they were bought used, no payments, etc., because a) they all still require maintenance, b) have taxes/reg, c) may need inspections, and d) just take up space. again, free country, people should be able to do this, but it's no longer about saving money at that point. not saying my way is 'right' but instead of having several cars, the money i didn't spend on a car, invested, easily pays for those car purchase or lease payments and i get to drive a new car and i'm not paying any maintenance at all (all included with mine). just different strokes.

but to your point, the lx570 is certainly a really sturdily built 'tank' that could last decades.

new to you maybe, but not new in my eyes, even though many used cars are absolutely fine or even great, depending on the buyer's wants and needs.

i checked around me, and yeah, 2015's are 42-50k depending on mileage.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ALNN056F8

Let's see an X7 or Cayenne or Q7 do that, over and over.
haha, while the lx570 may survive that kind of abuse, it's still going to do damage, if nothing else, to the paint job!

but if that's your thing, more power to ya!
Old 09-15-19, 03:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

well this is interesting given that this thread is about Doug's video and a lot of talk about off roading, etc. well turns out doug demuro OWNS a 1990's Land Rover Defender. gee, old vehicle. but land rovers suck because CR says so, right?

but in this video he comments on the NEW defender too... and hmm... it's not body on frame! yet its still has EXCELLENT off-road cred and features. check out the video...

Old 09-15-19, 03:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

There you go!! I have alway liked the Land Cruiser better, but just my preference. I also like the current Tahoe, just a great size. I do like that Toyota has gone to a 2 row offering, I think the non removable 3rd row was a strange offering. Really unfortunate Toyota does not offer the large fuel capacity like they do outside of the US. They both really should have Apple Car Play at this point as well. And it quite unfortunate that there is no locking rear diff.

Are you only a fan of the LX?
I'm a fan of Land Cruisers of course, but why not pay minimal more for the Lexus version with the vastly upgraded interior? That's just how I see it. The price difference is not much, at all.

I'm also a fan of GM trucks, and originally wanted an Escalade for the looks and engine, but I don't trust GM reliability on a 90k vehicle. The meat and bones of GM trucks are solid and reliable (I drive a 16 year old one on original coolant and spark plugs lol) but I don't want to be replacing air shocks, CUE screens, and other expensive Cadillac bits. I would be slightly nervous buying a 4-5 year old used Escalade. An LX? No reservations whatsoever.
Old 09-15-19, 03:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

here's some landcruiser/lx570 ****...

comparing the 2008 LC and 2019 LX!

so funny that under the hood it looks the SAME
Old 09-15-19, 04:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

yes, on autotrader it says th lx570 is rated at 12mpg city, so that kind of thurst does cost. some people like to have several vehicles, but then to me it's no longer about saving money even if they were bought used, no payments, etc., because a) they all still require maintenance, b) have taxes/reg, c) may need inspections, and d) just take up space. again, free country, people should be able to do this, but it's no longer about saving money at that point. not saying my way is 'right' but instead of having several cars, the money i didn't spend on a car, invested, easily pays for those car purchase or lease payments and i get to drive a new car and i'm not paying any maintenance at all (all included with mine). just different strokes.

haha, while the lx570 may survive that kind of abuse, it's still going to do damage, if nothing else, to the paint job!

but if that's your thing, more power to ya!
I totally get the different strokes for different folks, some people only buy new cars. I only buy used, you just get so much more for your money. Gas mileage is awful but any SUV I would buy would be a powerful V8 which would suck down gas regardless.

The bolded I see what you're saying, but my LS430 doesn't cost a penny to keep maintained, it just drives. Change the oil and gas, TB every 120k and that's it. There are no taxes and/or inspections I pay for, other than $70 a year for the tags that everyone pays. (Where do you live? Curious.) A completely paid off car you own free and clear is a great thing, lol.

That said, if it were a money pit I would get rid of it.
Old 09-15-19, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

well this is interesting given that this thread is about Doug's video and a lot of talk about off roading, etc. well turns out doug demuro OWNS a 1990's Land Rover Defender. gee, old vehicle. but land rovers suck because CR says so, right?

but in this video he comments on the NEW defender too... and hmm... it's not body on frame! yet its still has EXCELLENT off-road cred and features. check out the video...

https://youtu.be/ZbiHyKfw1IM

Well, because of advances in metallurgy, body-rigidity, design, and other factors, it's no secret that RWD unibody SUVs perform better off-road now (in relation to BOF vehicles) than they once did. One does not need DeMuro, CR, or any other organization to tell us that. But that's still doesn't mean that, all else equal, unibodies are still better off road than BOF. Ford, for example, chose (with good reason) to make the new Bronco BOF, and not follow GM's lead in doing the FWD unibody Blazer.

Quick Reply: Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570