Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-19, 04:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
here's some landcruiser/lx570 ****...

comparing the 2008 LC and 2019 LX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0TS9TX__No

so funny that under the hood it looks the SAME
Yeah, and anyone's a sucker that wastes money on premium fuel in the LX. It's absolutely the same engine, same compression, etc. I can live with a gas guzzler because regular fuel is cheap and like I said, we don't put a lot of mileage on our cars anyway. I wouldn't be happy stuck paying for premium, it's like a $12-15 difference at fill up.

I enjoyed this video, too, when I saw it a few weeks ago. That old LC still seems like new.

Someone in the LX forums just picked up I believe a '13 with 90k miles. He/she posted pics--the thing looks still brand new inside and out. That's just how (especially high end) Lexus cars are.

Last edited by AJT123; 09-15-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 04:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Maybe. What's it to you? I can tell you that my LX will definitely go off-road, and that I'll be having fun with it. I'm buying it for utility/off roading/towing as well as a comfy cruiser.

That's your opinion, and again, what's it to you? My LS430 will be 16 years old next year, and I'll drive it until it just dies. I don't need fancy new technology, personally. LS430 is a damm fine automobile and it still drives like the Lexus flagship it is. I'm not the only one...LS430s are everywhere around where I live.

Also, I hate car payments. Some people don't mind paying a car/lease payment every month for life but I am definitely not one of them.

No, I want the NA 5.7 V8 in my LX. Not some bs turbo six cylinder. Solid as a rock. I've seen Tundras with over a million miles-- the engine is a workhorse.

The gas mileage is awful, I'll admit, but you can use regular in an LX (which makes a difference $$ wise) and I drive a 12mpg Yukon as my daily, anyway. Don't really drive all that much honestly so I don't care either about my fuel bill.

I don't care how old it is, it's probably the most overbuilt vehicle in production....that is what is appealing to me.

With Lexus, you just wait until they come down to half price and you basically have a new car, still.
I think its excellent you enjoy the LX, I think its overbuilt and a tank hence why it has a huge premium over other vehicles on the 2nd hand market. However I think whats interesting is the following, its a great used car. Demuro is reviewing the vehicle as a new car buyer. two totally different things for two different types of demographics.

On the flip side, which is reliability and overbuilt nature of the LC/LX, Toyota is going with a hybrid V6 TT reportedly on the successor.

Toyota themselves are acknowledging that Forced induction, new gadgets arent something thats built to break. Its just that it makes no sense adding such tech on such a old chassis. However they include these same things that are "prone to breakage" on their other models...currently in production.

TGNA models get digital clusters, self driving modules, huge in dash displays, infotainment tech that offer AA/CP, and different interior creature comforts.

Other models are getting complicated transmissions like the LC, or forced induction in the LS, IS, GS, NX, UX.

Again as a new product, the LX is at the bottom of the barrel when you look at the Navigator or G wagen etc for a 100k territory vehicle. As a used vehicle, step aside G wagen or Navigator, wouldnt touch those even if they were free....
Old 09-15-19, 04:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I think its excellent you enjoy the LX, I think its overbuilt and a tank hence why it has a huge premium over other vehicles on the 2nd hand market. However I think whats interesting is the following, its a great used car. Demuro is reviewing the vehicle as a new car buyer. two totally different things for two different types of demographics.

Again as a new product, the LX is at the bottom of the barrel when you look at the Navigator or G wagen etc for a 100k territory vehicle. As a used vehicle, step aside G wagen or Navigator, wouldnt touch those even if they were free....
Egggactly!!!
Old 09-15-19, 04:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm a fan of Land Cruisers of course, but why not pay minimal more for the Lexus version with the vastly upgraded interior? That's just how I see it. The price difference is not much, at all.
Fair enough. This was the first generation we liked LC over LX, but at the end of the day, they are pretty close. You still have 28 air vents for HVAC which is just astonishing. Things like second row height adjustable seat belts and the rear pillars which have double side air vents is just crazy.

Back in 09 and 10, Lexus has a cheaper Lx570 with 18” rims and a rare unique trim for the wood and a few other things.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-15-19 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 05:17 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's parents have the new LS500h and I was able to have a LS500h as a loaner for a week a few months ago and I would choose the LX570 over that car (They are about the same price here in Japan).
Old 09-15-19, 05:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
My wife's parents have the new LS500h and I was able to have a LS500h as a loaner for a week a few months ago and I would choose the LX570 over that car (They are about the same price here in Japan).
LX is 55 units shy last month of outselling the LS. At that point, I would consider the LX the flagship of the Lexus brand seeing how cross overs and SUVs are not the defining vehicle for many brands.
Old 09-15-19, 05:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Fair enough. This was the first generation we liked LC over LX, but at the end of the day, they are pretty close. You still have 28 air vents for HVAC which is just astonishing. Things like second row height adjustable seat belts and the rear pillars which have double side air vents is just crazy.

Back in 09 and 10, Lexus has a cheaper Lx570 with 18” rims and a rare unique trim for the wood and a few other things.
Lol, yes I saw that as well in my research. 28 vents is absolute insanity, good lord I bet that thing cools down nice (in the desert...where it was made for). I was watching youtube videos of them and tried to count but didn't see anything beyond normal. Can't wait to get my own and find them all.

I like the looks of the LX over the LC, but yes they are the same truck essentially.

Used they are about the same price....why not go Lexus? I'm not ashamed to say I like the Lexus badge and brand cachet, lol.

LX may be a rebadged Toyota like lesser Lexus cars but in this case the typically negative BS absolutely doesn't apply...it's a very good thing.
Old 09-15-19, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

28 vents is absolute insanity, good lord I bet that thing cools down nice (in the desert...where it was made for).
Good point ....I had not considered that. Yes, it is likely that those 28 A/C vents were designed for Middle East, North Africa, or California/Arizona desert conditions, where outside air temperatures (never mind the ground or pavement itself) can exceed 120 degrees. And if you didn't have synthetic engine/transmission fluids under the hood, the engine and drivetrain would probably be cooking itself, too. That kind of heat can also do a number on the tires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-15-19 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 08:59 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You sound about 20 years old. And, 8 year RELATIONSHIP, not married. Being married is different than living together. I lived with my wife for 7 years before we got married, and we've been married for almost 11 years. Its different.

Your "girl" is not your "wife". When you are married, your efforts are combined. You no longer make $300k and she makes $40k, you together make $340k. Its not about having a "limit on what you do" its about now decisions get made as a married entity, not by both of you individually. By law you are now a unit, and it takes an action of law to separate you and decide how to divide your income and your assets. For instance, if you make $300k and she makes $40k and you get divorced and you've been married for a while, you're going to be ordered to pay her alimony which proves the point, that your income is as much her income as married people as it is yours. When you buy a house, you own it as tenants by the entirety in most states which means you have an undividable common interest. If you get divorced, she's going to get half, regardless of the fact that "your income" primarily paid for it.

And your attitude is going to put you on the divorced side of that 50% unless your wife just doesn't care about not being an equal party to your marriage.

I know lots of people who do that, and we did that before we had kids and my wife stopped working, but that doesnt change anything. For one, if you make way more money than she does the living expenses aren't split 50/50. My wife had her own account but I paid 90% of the bills. If your spouse wants to be a part of large purchase decisions and you decide "its my money babe, I do what I do!" you're going to be divorced, and shocked when a judge gives her half your ****. Rightfully so. If she truly doesnt care, then whatever works for you...but my guess is she does actually care.

I don't see how but okay. I'll just make the point, we're married and you're not so best leave the marriage advice to those who have been or are married. Living with a girlfirend is totally different than being married.

Great example. A trip to Vegas. So, you just come home and say "Hey babe, I'm going to Vegas tomorrow with my boys, see ya later" and shes like "Okay have fun!" Thats not reality, and its not even about money. I have two kids, I come home and say that to my wife is that fair? Is that fair to our family for me to inform them that I am leaving somewhere without discussing it with them first? Is it fair for me to just leave her alone with the kids all weekend with no advanced notice?

The actual interaction is "Hey, me and the guys are planning a trip to Vegas sometime next month, are we doing anything?" "Okay, those two weekends work let me tell them". You arent asking permission, but you're discussing the plan of your life with your partner in life. If you don't do that, you arent really partners and you arent really married, even if legally you are. You're just two people who live in a house together and have fun together sometimes and have sex. Thats not being married.

When I buy a car the interaction is this "I think I'm going to trade the Lexus in on a new car" she goes "Okay, what do you think the cost difference is going to be?" I reply "$2-300 a month probably" Her "Do you think thats smart" Me "Probably not, but you know me" Her "Get a blue one". I'm not asking her permission, but I'm discussing it with her and giving her an opportunity to have her input, and then I go and do it. If she said "I really dont think you should do that, we're going to have to pay for X and Y and Z in the upcoming year, don't you think you should wait?" then I would take that into consideration. Thats showing her respect, and because she has respect for me she's never going to say "No" to something I want to do unless it involves making her do something she doesnt want to do, like trading her van in on an SUV (ask me how I know) lol.

Its not about asking permission, its about respecting the partnership.
....ok...lol.
There are definitely more lives out here besides your and the way you guys run them. Just because you dont live a certain way doesn't make it wrong for others, lol. You seem to be treating your marriage like you're scared of the law/divorce.....
But I could fit her prove more points, but it'll be pointless, as with every other thread in car chat, you seem to know it all...and have unlimited free time to try to prove to everyone that you "know it all", lol, so....you're right....and I'll be a "young man" and leave the "old man" to you today! Congrats on your marriage!😎

V.
Old 09-15-19, 10:59 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LX570 I want for all those reasons. I don't want the '16+, though. The looks are a little OTT, and the tires have basically no sidewall for one of the most capable vehicles produced. Very counterproductive.

I want a '13-'15 because I like the looks of those better, and it has meaty 20" rims that you could throw legit off road tires on and it would look good still, maybe even better.

I know it's an old vehicle, but the engineering and quality control that goes into these approaches insanity, so I really don't care. What other vehicle has a button to turn the side airbags off because it assumes you might find yourself at an angle off-roading where the airbags would deploy? Toyota apparently does 3 grueling reliability stages or "tests" with these. They are absolutely unstoppable and vehicles that will last for 25 years. There's a reason the Land Cruiser is an $80,000 vehicle, because all of the might and engineering of Toyota goes into them, old or not. The Lexus version is just the cherry on top with all the luxury upgrades.

DeMuro I can't stand and he doesn't even know that much about cars, I never watch his reviews but this one I did.
You need some 24" rims and side exhaust!!! Here is mine.

Old 09-16-19, 06:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RWDV8
And why does he insist on awkwardly standing behind the car he's reviewing?
Would you rather see more or less of him? I can't stand him either so I block his vids.
Old 09-16-19, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Would you rather see more or less of him? I can't stand him either so I block his vids.
What do you mean by "blocking" his videos? ...Do you mean that when you do a You Tube search, his ads don't show up? If so, I didn't know You Tube had that feature.
Old 09-16-19, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I personally like Doug's reviews...he reviews some interesting cars. Almost 3M susbscribers too so he must be doing something right.

Originally Posted by Vitveet
There are definitely more lives out here besides your and the way you guys run them. Just because you dont live a certain way doesn't make it wrong for others

This whole thing started by you passing judgement on how somebody else lives his life, but okay lol.
Old 09-16-19, 11:25 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you mean by "blocking" his videos? ...Do you mean that when you do a You Tube search, his ads don't show up? If so, I didn't know You Tube had that feature.
I keep selecting "not interested" or something so it stops showing me his vids. So not an official block.
Old 09-16-19, 11:31 AM
situman
Pole Position

At the end of the day who really cares what reviewers will say about a car? Use your own common sense and know what you value or want. Not everybody wants to sleep on the same bed as goldilocks.

Quick Reply: Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570