Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 11:46 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm in the D.C. area. Tell me about heat and humidity...summers here wrote the book on it, though I'll admit that places like Houston, New Orleans, and Miami can sometimes be just as bad.
Yep, we have it bad... I'm not really complaining because our winters are nothing more than an annoyance (avg highs in the 40s, lows around freezing), and when it snows the entire city shuts down (it's ridiculous, but fun).

The heat is oppressive but I'll take an extreme summer over extreme winter any day.
Old 09-17-19, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
My g90 says hold my beer.

My LS has the same vents. Nothing spectacular for the LX there at all lol
Old 09-17-19, 03:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My LS has the same vents. Nothing spectacular for the LX there at all lol

I think that started with the W220, the vents in the B-pillar. But come on, 28 freakin' vents?? Even C&D mentioned it in a road test.
Old 09-17-19, 03:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I think that started with the W220, the vents in the B-pillar. But come on, 28 freakin' vents?? Even C&D mentioned it in a road test.
But these are third row. The second row has these same vents. Just reversed, so the pillar between 2nd and 3rd offer air both ways. Then there are the under the 2nd rows seats near the thighs for the second row. Then are the roof vents. Not sure how anyone cannot appreciate something like this.
Old 09-17-19, 04:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But these are third row. The second row has these same vents. Just reversed, so the pillar between 2nd and 3rd offer air both ways. Then there are the under the 2nd rows seats near the thighs for the second row. Then are the roof vents. Not sure how anyone cannot appreciate something like this.
Oh I sure can. I can only imagine the air conditioning in one of those. It has a true 4 zone system and 7 or 8 fan speeds....most cars don't have that many.
Old 09-17-19, 08:25 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just a gander here, but I think every 3 row vehicle has a similar setup with multiple air vents across multiple rows. I think the only oddball so far in recent memory is the RX-L with air vents everywhere, but instead of having temp controls in the 2nd row, their located in the 3rd row.

Last edited by coolsaber; 09-17-19 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 08:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Just a gander here, but I think every 3 row vehicle has a similar setup with multiple air vents across multiple rows. I think the only oddball so far in recent memory is the RX-L with air vents everywhere, but instead of having temp controls in the 2nd row, their located in the 3rd row.
I know. Most three rows have air in the back. 4Runner does not. But something like the LX with 28 vents is just great detail. Never seem C pillars with vents on both sides.
Old 09-18-19, 09:45 AM
neilprasad
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I stopped watching his reviews after he bashed the iconic LS400 and started comparing it to newer cars and features.
Old 09-18-19, 09:49 AM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

The dude is a clown. He bashed the LX pretty bad for the price tag of $95,000 and the gear shifter. Then in his other video of a $85,000 Toyota Landcruiser, he praised the car, and I didn't hear a thing about the gear shifter complaints anymore. Granted that car was $10k cheaper than the LX, but by his logic, a $85K Toyota, with a gear shifter????

Old 09-18-19, 10:06 AM
Endopax
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Needs Updating but Still the Leader In Quality

I certainly agree with Doug that there is need for updating this model, particularly on the technological side, but one cannot ignore the fact that Lexus remains on the top regarding quality, reliability, dependability, craftsmanship, and frequency of repair. The competition has become woeful with Mercedes-Benz cranking out POS in mass quantities, with it being ranked 17th in quality and dependability as per its own owners contributing to the largest database maintained by CR. The Asian manufacturers are also struggling, with Nissan/Infiniti’s CVT possibly being the biggest piece of garbage in automotive history. Honda/Acura’s automatic transmissions are not doing much better, in spite of their excellent engines.

For these other manufacturers, it is like putting lipstick and a tutu on a pig. Their models look pretty, but they are still a pig. Unfortunately, most consumers in this country are mainly concerned about styling, color, and how many fun gizmos are available for them to play with. That attitude will not change anytime soon.
Old 09-18-19, 10:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by neilprasad
I stopped watching his reviews after he bashed the iconic LS400 and started comparing it to newer cars and features.

Tell me about it. I don't like him for a bunch of other reasons, but the LS400 review was the straw. Of course 250hp won't feel fast today.

He doesn't even know much about cars (hence pretty much writing off the LS400), is goofy, and not funny when it's clear he's trying to be.
Old 09-18-19, 11:30 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why blame Lexus? It was parent Toyota who provided the basic design, in the Land Cruiser. And the Land Cruiser has something rarely seen in a lot of today's vehicles......stout construction.

One feature I like on the LX is the 5-way TPS system that also shows the pressure in the spare tire....and, of course, the fact that it even HAS a real spare tire, not a temporary, donut, or Fix-a-Flat bottle.
t
LS 460 has same, full spare and tpm shows spare pressure too. I like the realability of this and the GX both of which are top for older used cars. If the Lx is something the mainstream doesn't like Id probably love it lol
Old 09-18-19, 01:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

"As long as you're down on the ground looking up, check out that rear axle. It's massive. It looks as thick and sturdy as a Dana 66, if not a tick beefier. And get a load of those trailing arms. They have to be an inch in diameter, if not thicker. In fact, these look similar to the parts Jonathan Ward outfits his $150,000 Icon FJs with. If you have any doubts about the true purpose of the LX 570, climb underneath and gawk. Hardcore doesn't begin to describe it. Then there's all the associated off-road doohickeys. You get five modes of Multi-Terrain Select: Rock, Rock & Dirt, Mogul, Loose Rock, plus Mud & Sand. When you're in four-low (of course it has a two-speed transfer case!) you get a crawl mode with five forward speeds. Think of it as super slow, rock-crawling cruise control. There's a locking center differential, as well as a button that changes the steering ratio to give you extra maneuverability when you're using low gears. The LX 570 is so capable that you'll need to get familiar with the RSCA Off button. That's the one that tells the side curtain airbags not to go off because you haven't actually rolled over. You're just at one hell of an angle. No, really. Also: The LX 570 still has a real handbrake. The LX570 is also one of three select Toyota products that goes through a third round of backbreaking reliability development tests, the other two being the Land Cruiser and the LX 470. Believe me: It's a tank."

"I should point out that the LX 570 and its near twin, the aforementioned Land Cruiser, sell in such low volume that Lexus claims, '"They're practically hand-built.'"

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexu...70-first-test/

Boom.
Old 09-18-19, 09:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

If you want a tank, go ahead. Lx570 is stout, no doubt (ha!) but it’s 6000lbs! It’s heavier than an escalade.

if fuel prices go up a chunk, that lx570 may last forever, but running costs will be HIGH if you do any significant mileage.

just seems to me with all of toyota’s engineering skills they can design something better, lighter, and way more fuel efficient to replace the current lx/lc.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-19-19 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-19-19, 02:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If you want a tank, go ahead. Lx570 is stout, no doubt (ha!) but it’s 6000lbs! It’s heavier than an escalade.

if fuel prices go up a chunk, that lx570 may last forever, but running costs will be HIGH if you any significant mileage.

just seems to me with all of toyota’s engineering skills they can design something better, lighter, and way more fuel efficient to replace the current lx/lc.

Sure, but I don't want anything lighter or with anything but a NA V8. The gas bill I'll live with. We barely put any mileage on our cars.

Quick Reply: Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570