Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19, 06:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Sure, but I don't want anything lighter or with anything but a NA V8. The gas bill I'll live with. We barely put any mileage on our cars.
Are you a consumer who is considering the purchase of a new $95,000 luxury SUV? If not, you're not the consumer who's preferences Lexus/Toyota need to consider.

They sold 440 LXs in August, Range Rover sold 1,000 full Range Rovers, BMW sold 1,700 X7s, MB Sold 1,200 GLS...this is a hot market, and actual consumers are showing that the LX is not what they want.

With a modern offering, I bet they can sell 1,300 LXs a month easy.
Old 09-19-19, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Are you a consumer who is considering the purchase of a new $95,000 luxury SUV? If not, you're not the consumer who's preferences Lexus/Toyota need to consider.

They sold 440 LXs in August, Range Rover sold 1,000 full Range Rovers, BMW sold 1,700 X7s, MB Sold 1,200 GLS...this is a hot market, and actual consumers are showing that the LX is not what they want.

post of the day.
Old 09-19-19, 11:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Um, okay? I've said about a dozen times that I'm buying a 3-5 year old used one.

Not really seeing a relevant point here either; I've agreed that the LX is dated and old. I personally don't care. Let's see how an X7 or GLS or :laugh: Range Rover stacks up, reliability-wise.

I don't think Lexus expects the LX to sell 12k units a year.

And I don't think there will even be another one after this one, at least not in the North American market. There have been some unconfirmed rumors.
Old 09-19-19, 11:45 AM
jjslexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, much more reliable, better dealer network/service, 3x the resale value, it has all that "off road" stuff...what a POS, lol
Old 09-19-19, 12:44 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Um, okay? I've said about a dozen times that I'm buying a 3-5 year old used one.

Not really seeing a relevant point here either; I've agreed that the LX is dated and old. I personally don't care. Let's see how an X7 or GLS or :laugh: Range Rover stacks up, reliability-wise.

And I don't think there will even be another one after this one, at least not in the North American market. There have been some unconfirmed rumors.
Lexus isnt selling their vehicles for 2nd owner benefits since theyre income comes from the original buyer. Hence the purpose of the reviewer, is that as a new car buyer in the market for a 100k vehicle, why go for something primarily on reliability. While it may not apply to everyone here is fine. Some folks have an issue with valid criticisms of the LX as a result of this.

Making a better product that appeals to greater masses and has the creature comforts to match, would expand that market share to the levels of others.
Old 09-19-19, 12:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

100% agree.

I think you overestimate how well a new body on frame Lexus LX will do. If they were to make an all new model, it still will not sell all that well. The writing is on the wall fo the design under the Lexus brand. And Toyota knows it.
Old 09-19-19, 01:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Lexus isnt selling their vehicles for 2nd owner benefits since theyre income comes from the original buyer. Hence the purpose of the reviewer, is that as a new car buyer in the market for a 100k vehicle, why go for something primarily on reliability. While it may not apply to everyone here is fine. Some folks have an issue with valid criticisms of the LX as a result of this.
I'm aware of that, and I can't stand Doug Demuro.

Plenty of people buy Lexus just for reliability. I never said anyone was wrong for criticizing the current LX; not sure where that's coming from. Doug is inconsistent and doesn't know too much about cars. See in this thread how he praised an $85k Land Cruiser but slammed the Lexus version.

With a modern offering, I bet they can sell 1,300 LXs a month eas
y.
Right but you did the same thing I'm doing, except you lease new and I buy used.

You went with the last model year of the LS460 because you (like the rest of us) don't care for what the LS has become.

A 2017 LS460 is basically a 2007, also a very old design. A '17 LS isn't competitive with any of the high end German flagships of that year, but I would buy an LS over them for the reliability.

I want the tried and true "old" version LX, 12MPG V8 and all.
Old 09-19-19, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

You made my point for me. You’re a used consumer, your buying preferences aren’t on Lexus’ radar when they design a new vehicle. You aren’t their customer, you’re the customer of whoever the first owner was.

You’re not a consumer for a new LS either, because you buy used. I buy LS vehicles new, I am their customer. In any event all you had to do/have to do is look at LS sales compared to the S Class and 7 Series, consumers like those cars better.

You see what I’m getting at? That used LX you want will always be there, used, for you to buy from somebody. Clearly new consumers though don’t want this vehicle like they want more modern competitors.

You saying that you prefer the LX over those competitors is meaningless because you’re never going to buy any of those vehicles new anyways.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-19-19 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-19-19, 07:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You made my point for me. You’re a used consumer, your buying preferences aren’t on Lexus’ radar when they design a new vehicle. You aren’t their customer, you’re the customer of whoever the first owner was.

You’re not a consumer for a new LS either, because you buy used. I buy LS vehicles new, I am their customer. In any event all you had to do/have to do is look at LS sales compared to the S Class and 7 Series, consumers like those cars better.

You see what I’m getting at? That used LX you want will always be there, used, for you to buy from somebody. Clearly new consumers though don’t want this vehicle like they want more modern competitors.

You saying that you prefer the LX over those competitors is meaningless because you’re never going to buy any of those vehicles new anyways.
Just because I'm not about to plunk down 90k on a car doesn't mean I can't have a say in anything.

I don't really think you made any "point" in the first place and I'm not even sure why we're going back and forth. I never said the LX isn't old. That said, I don't think a new one is a stupid purchase by any stretch.

I've clearly said I'm looking for a used one. The '13-'15s don't have these ridiculous 22" rims with what looks like performance oriented tires with a half inch of sidewall. The older ones have nice meaty 20"s that a set of off road tires would look great on. The older ones also have the Lexus touch screen which we like and are used to.

The low sales, etc. I don't care about. I don't care if people think it's the worst vehicle on the road; to me it will be perfect.
Old 09-19-19, 07:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The older ones also have the Lexus touch screen which we like and are used to.
the touch screen is better.
Old 09-20-19, 06:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You made my point for me. You’re a used consumer, your buying preferences aren’t on Lexus’ radar when they design a new vehicle.

You’re not a consumer for a new LS either, because you buy used. I buy LS vehicles new, I am their customer. .
lol. Used consumers are Lexus consumers as well. Lexus makes money off parts and distribution to used consumers. As these older Lexus models age, replacement parts are needed. Lexus also makes money off the used financing for Lexus certified models.
Old 09-20-19, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
lol. Used consumers are Lexus consumers as well. Lexus makes money off parts and distribution to used consumers. As these older Lexus models age, replacement parts are needed. Lexus also makes money off the used financing for Lexus certified models.

The (average) new car dealership makes more profit from the sale of used vehicles than they do new ones...and even more from service and repairs.
Old 09-20-19, 06:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The (average) new car dealership makes more profit from the sale of used vehicles than they do new ones...and even more from service and repairs.
For sure. There is big money in used Lexus sales. All consumers buying a Lexus are Lexus consumers.
Old 09-20-19, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I've clearly said I'm looking for a used one. The '13-'15s don't have these ridiculous 22" rims with what looks like performance oriented tires with a half inch of sidewall. The older ones have nice meaty 20"s that a set of off road tires would look great on. The older ones also have the Lexus touch screen which we like and are used to.

The low sales, etc. I don't care about. I don't care if people think it's the worst vehicle on the road; to me it will be perfect.
A voice of reason.
Old 09-20-19, 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
true but that's not helping LEXUS, it's only helping the dealer, except for maybe parts, but i'd bet used buyers are more likely to go to third party service places or just DIY because that was the whole point they were trying to save money vs new.

Quick Reply: Doug DeMuro's review of the 2019 Lexus LX570