Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RWD vs AWD what’s all the fuss about ? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 04:20 AM
alexis31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD vs AWD what’s all the fuss about ? HELP

Hello ! I am looking into purchasing a beautiful 2006 GS430, fully loaded with 114K miles here shortly but it is RWD. I live in Snohomish Washington and don’t travel up to the mountains or any areas of that sort. Maybe just to Portland here and there

My main questions are is there any concerns or things I should look out for with this car ?
and is RWD in my best interest ? we rarely get snow but when we do I could always just get snow tires right ?

Some people tell me yes get it some say no and maybe get a ES again (don’t want it or an IS) or downgrade and get a GS with AWD option

Just need a few opinions and some good advice ! Thank you
Old 09-18-19, 05:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

question is, why WOULDN'T you want AWD? ....just because you ran across a RWD isn't a good reason.
Old 09-18-19, 06:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

According to Consumer Reports, 2006 GS AWD models were Below-Average in reliability....one of the rare Lexus products to ever be so. I would avoid it for that particular model year, and stick to RWD.

But in general, I agree with Bagwell.....given the choice, on most vehicles, between RWD and AWD, I'd go with AWD, even with the mileage and acceleration penalty, and more potential maintenance and repairs. FWD is less of an issue because, all else equal, it gives better winter traction than RWD. After my 1Gen Lexus IS300, even with al-season or winter tires, I may (?) never own a RWD vehicle again.

The one exception, of course, would be in areas that never (or almost never) get snow or ice on the road. Then you can get a RWD vehicle and not be concerned with it.
Old 09-18-19, 07:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Hey neighbor, I'm in Edmonds.

RWD around here, with a good set of tires, is completely fine as long as you don't plan mountain trips and you understand that you aren't going anywhere when it snows, unless you get dedicated snow tires, which seem like extreme overkill around here.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
According to Consumer Reports, 2006 GS AWD models were Below-Average in reliability....one of the rare Lexus products to ever be so. I would avoid it for that particular model year, and stick to RWD.

But in general, I agree with Bagwell.....given the choice, on most vehicles, between RWD and AWD, I'd go with AWD, even with the mileage and acceleration penalty, and more potential maintenance and repairs. FWD is less of an issue because, all else equal, it gives better winter traction than RWD. After my 1Gen Lexus IS300, even with al-season or winter tires, I may (?) never own a RWD vehicle again.

The one exception, of course, would be in areas that never (or almost never) get snow or ice on the road. Then you can get a RWD vehicle and not be concerned with it.
The issue with the 2006 GS300 was about the engine, not the AWD system. If the OP wants a 3rd gen GS with AWD, I'd go with a 2007+ GS350 AWD.
Old 09-18-19, 08:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

RWD around here, with a good set of tires, is completely fine as long as you don't plan mountain trips and you understand that you aren't going anywhere when it snows, unless you get dedicated snow tires, which seem like extreme overkill around here.

The issue with the 2006 GS300 was about the engine, not the AWD system. If the OP wants a 3rd gen GS with AWD, I'd go with a 2007+ GS350 AWD.
if I remember correctly, problem with GS AWD was due to the ML system, which made no sense as RWD was also affected by same problem (sub would break), but that is what CR put as explanation.
Otherwise I had GS350 AWD and a nice vehicle for sure... not a great handler but AWD was good, impossible to lose traction almost.
Old 09-18-19, 09:22 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AWD cars are heavier and more expensive to fix that would be my reason for wanting RWD.
Old 09-18-19, 09:24 AM
alexis31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bagwell
question is, why WOULDN'T you want AWD? ....just because you ran across a RWD isn't a good reason.

I havent fount too many GS AWD on the market, unless their newer and unfortunately I don’t like any styles of the new Lexus past 2011. Also don’t feel like getting a 24K or more car right now
Old 09-18-19, 09:26 AM
alexis31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kense
AWD cars are heavier and more expensive to fix that would be my reason for wanting RWD.
Ive heard that too ! That was one of my reasonings for going with RWD too and not all wheel or FWD. I heard FWD is hard to work on too since the engines sit sideways
Old 09-18-19, 09:30 AM
alexis31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76

It never snows too bad out here. Last year I don’t know what that was all about though ! I definitely do understand I would need snow tires to get through it. I’d probably get em and have them in case considering I do plan on keeping the car as long as possible. I don’t mind spending the extra money
Old 09-18-19, 12:00 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

AWD does nothing for cornering and braking, just starting up and going uphill. Snow tires will make a big improvement, but there will be times when you will need to use chains whereas AWD would get by without them. But if you stay away from driving during those temporary conditions, AWD is overkill.

I can remember visiting my grandparents many decades ago. They lived on a farm in rural Iowa, miles from town over gravel and asphalt roads. Tons of snow in the winter, yet all they drove was a RWD Plymouth Fury with a manual shifter on the steering column.
Old 09-18-19, 02:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
AWD does nothing for cornering and braking, just starting up and going uphill.
For most winter driving, though, THAT is what matters the most. One has to be careful cornering and braking no matter what kind of drivetrain he or she has, but if you are stuck and can't get moving, not much you can do short of a tow.

Old 09-18-19, 02:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Why would you drive a beautiful car like a GS430 in the winter, get a winter beater and put some good winter tires on it. On AWD vs. RWD I am not a fan of AWD on a sports car the dynamics of RWD is so much more rewarding IMO.
Old 09-18-19, 05:08 PM
alexis31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Why would you drive a beautiful car like a GS430 in the winter, get a winter beater and put some good winter tires on it. On AWD vs. RWD I am not a fan of AWD on a sports car the dynamics of RWD is so much more rewarding IMO.

You have a wonderful point ! Where I live doesn’t snow as bad either it’s more so rain, so I’m not sure if I would get a beater I could always just hop into my family’s Silverado truck.

If I get this 430 I’m for sure getting some back up snow tires just in case. So far I’ve heard nothing but good things and making me fall in love with it more.

Thank you for your input !
Old 09-18-19, 05:24 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
from a "drivers" standpoint AWD is worse in basically every situation, will use more fuel over time, and be slower
Old 09-18-19, 06:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
from a "drivers" standpoint AWD is worse in basically every situation, will use more fuel over time, and be slower
I can think of one instance where it is better, in an all electric drivetrain there is too much energy driving two wheels doesn't give enough traction.
Originally Posted by alexis31
You have a wonderful point ! Where I live doesn’t snow as bad either it’s more so rain, so I’m not sure if I would get a beater I could always just hop into my family’s Silverado truck.

If I get this 430 I’m for sure getting some back up snow tires just in case. So far I’ve heard nothing but good things and making me fall in love with it more.

Thank you for your input !
The actual problem with cold climates is not the cold it's the road salt. No road salt means no rust doesn't matter how cold it gets proof is the 1990 Camry in my sig it was driven every winter before I bought it but from a small town that uses no road salt at all. The only thing it had to show for the winter driving was rock chips. ZERO rust, nothing.

So if in your area road salt is not a thing you're fine. And you might not need winter tires or if you get them, I'd get some of the lower priced ones unless you drive a lot otherwise the tires will rot out long before you wear them out.

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD what’s all the fuss about ? HELP