Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trump administration revokes California’s authority to set auto mileage standards

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-20, 06:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If demand (and sales) of gasoline drop too much, what will probably happen is that we will start to see higher local/state/federal taxes on it to counteract the drop in tax revenue. So, whether the pump-price actually drops, with lower demand, remains to be seen.....as more electric cars also means more electric-use, and there are already a number of taxes on your electric bill....so tax-revenue from electric sources will increase.
I think the electricity rates won't increase but the annual registration fee will increase for EVs. California is charging up yo $150 annually to offset loss in gas tax. So is Illinois and not touching electricity rates. Lots of places in the west, raising electricity won't impact EV drivers with solar so makes sense to tax through other means.
Old 11-23-20, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the electricity rates won't increase but the annual registration fee will increase for EVs. California is charging up yo $150 annually to offset loss in gas tax. So is Illinois and not touching electricity rates. Lots of places in the west, raising electricity won't impact EV drivers with solar so makes sense to tax through other means.
I was referring to the taxes on electricity (see the back of your monthly bill), not the cost of the electricity itself. That is determined by the cost of generating it and by the State Corporation Commission.
Old 11-23-20, 06:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Imo. Eventually the taxes for EVs will offset the savings versus gas. The cost will be the same if not more in the future.

https://thedriven.io/2020/11/23/vict...-than-a-lexus/
Old 11-23-20, 06:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Imo. Eventually the taxes for EVs will offset the savings versus gas. The cost will be the same if not more in the future.

https://thedriven.io/2020/11/23/vict...-than-a-lexus/
The article you referenced only refers to the tax you pay between iCE and EV. Electricity will always be cheaper than gas so EVs with minimal maintenance costs will always be cheaper to run. It's an inherent advantage of EVs that IcE cannot ever overcome.
Old 11-23-20, 06:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The article you referenced only refers to the tax you pay between iCE and EV. Electricity will always be cheaper than gas so EVs with minimal maintenance costs will always be cheaper to run. It's an inherent advantage of EVs that IcE cannot ever overcome.
most people don’t think like that. The maintenance part of a small Toyota Corolla is not gonna be that much more in the five year ownership cost than that of a Nissan leaf. The majority of people think about the now

Do you remember when hybrids had government incentives? Now they are gone. But there for EV and Plug in. Eventually the government will get you
Old 11-23-20, 06:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

most people don’t think like that. The maintenance part of a small Toyota Corolla is not gonna be that much more in the five year ownership cost than that of a Nissan leaf. The majority of people think about the now

Do you remember when hybrids had government incentives? Now they are gone. But there for EV and Plug in. Eventually the government will get you
I was strictly thinking of operating costs but if you take into account upfront cost of the vehicle, the EV is more expensive right now than the ICE in segments under $50k. When batteries become cheaper than $100 per kwh, it basically equals the cost of an ICE but right now, its more like $125-150 per kwh. This won't happen for at least 5 more years and I agree that ICE is cheaper for mainstream until then if you factor in upfront cost of vehicle.
Old 11-23-20, 06:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I was strictly thinking of operating costs but if you take into account upfront cost of the vehicle, the EV is more expensive right now than the ICE in segments under $50k. When batteries become cheaper than $100 per kwh, it basically equals the cost of an ICE but right now, its more like $125-150 per kwh. This won't happen for at least 5 more years and I agree that ICE is cheaper for mainstream until then if you factor in upfront cost of vehicle.
So at that point...for mainstream cars...very easy to add a tax to make it on par with what a ICE used to cost to drive.

In my example below. Very easy to see the Corolla is clear winner. Not even thinking or factoring the range of each. People do not like to pay more now for future savings.

I don’t dislike EVs. I just think there is a place for all technology for quite a while.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-23-20 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-23-20, 07:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

So at that point...for mainstream cars...very easy to add a tax to make it on par with what a ICE used to cost to drive.

In my example below. Very easy to see the Corolla is clear winner. Not even thinking or factoring the range of each. People do not like to pay more now for future savings.

I don’t dislike EVs. I just think there is a place for all technology for quite a while.
The example between the Corolla and Leaf isn't comparable when you get to Luxury cars though. A comparable BMW to A Tesla is $2k in fuel costs differences alone. Also, in California, it's much more than $350 due to the cost of gas here which averages $3.50 per gallon where I live. You wonder why EVs are so popular here given the outrageous gas prices.
Old 11-23-20, 07:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The example between the Corolla and Leaf isn't comparable when you get to Luxury cars though. A comparable BMW to A Tesla is $2k in fuel costs differences alone. Also, in California, it's much more than $350 due to the cost of gas here which averages $3.50 per gallon where I live. You wonder why EVs are so popular here given the outrageous gas prices.

I agree with luxury cars. The difference is profound; the higher price points is where it’s will make the most prolific effects. EVs are very popular here as well. Gas is just as expensive. Where I am now pretty much permanently because of Covid. A Tesla 3 is $52K and a model Y is $69K starting.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-23-20 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 07:32 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Lend0
They're now using children to bolster the eco-fascist movement and are encouraging people to eat bugs, keep their homes at 82, and to drive an electric car.

There was an article in the NY Post that mentioned those things in addition to paying almost double federal income taxes as well. My point is, 90% of the country (United States) will not go for this nonsense. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of getting an RCF sooner than I earlier anticipated since it will one day be illegal or taxed off of the road.
So I made this post last September and have since bought my RCF and will likely get a GSF or ISF to keep it company as I refuse to drive an ICE car. My question is, at what point will CA ban the use of ICE cars on public roads?

Also, laughing at the the inevitable future rolling blackouts as I drive into CA to burn 40 gallons this weekend.
Old 11-24-20, 07:54 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Have you added in incentives from state, fed, and electric companies as purchase support?
Old 11-24-20, 09:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Electricity is going to be going up in price massively if EV's are forced on the population, so much that it may cost the same or more then gas to charge your car in the long run and that is not counting the taxes/registration on EV's that will go up, politicians are not going to give up their money they get from taxing gasoline. Maintenance costs on modern IC cars are very low and most of it is not even done yearly. There is not a big difference between EV's and IC cars when it comes to maintenance costs and if you have a issue with the battery that it needs to be replaced that blows any savings you might have had on a EV.
Old 11-24-20, 09:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Have you added in incentives from state, fed, and electric companies as purchase support?
How long are those incentives(tax payer dollars) going to last?
Old 11-24-20, 09:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Here's the article I was referring to earlier. I assume some on here will find some tidbits controversial, but it does a good job outlining what manufacturers are currently investing in BEVs and discusses current and future sales, and various upcoming scenarios. I enjoyed the read. I won't post the whole thing here as it's a bit too long for a post, but here are the first few paragraphs and the rest of the article can be found here: The EVs Are Coming.

The EVs are Coming!
The Nissan Leaf was a shoo-in for success. The Chevrolet Bolt, a can't miss. The Audi e-tron, an EV that would show Tesla what the big boys can do. Early on, those electric models were lauded as game changers, but the game didn't change.

Electric vehicles have had a rough go of it in the U.S. The Leaf, one of the most popular non-Tesla EVs on sale today, had its best year in 2014, moving a middling 30,200 cars. (For reference, Nissan sold more than 400,000 Rogues here in both 2017 and 2018.) Even with Tesla doing a booming business, selling an estimated 223,200 vehicles last year, overall EV sales in the U.S. actually fell from 2018 levels. And apart from Tesla, no other automaker has delivered a true EV hit, despite a decade of attempts.

Showroom failures haven't dimmed enthusiasm, though. If anything, automakers appear emboldened, promising an unprecedented number of entrants into this field in the next decade. Market research firm AutoPacific counts a remarkable 90 to 100 new electric nameplates coming to U.S. showrooms by 2030.
Old 11-24-20, 10:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Electricity is going to be going up in price massively if EV's are forced on the population, so much that it may cost the same or more then gas to charge your car in the long run and that is not counting the taxes/registration on EV's that will go up, politicians are not going to give up their money they get from taxing gasoline. Maintenance costs on modern IC cars are very low and most of it is not even done yearly. There is not a big difference between EV's and IC cars when it comes to maintenance costs and if you have a issue with the battery that it needs to be replaced that blows any savings you might have had on a EV.
It's a simple search on 5 year cost to own.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/27...EN4M1YzYlJvVEU.

Model 3 is much cheaper than a Camry or Accord on total cost of ownership.

Also, electricity rates are highly region dependent. Solar breakeven is only 6 years for most California homes without EV. If they jack ip rates, more solar will go up and the demand will go down so infrastructure will be built out to offset over time to meet demand. Utilities absolutely love an EV world because it means way more revenue for them so of course they will build to meet demand.

With that said, I don't believe they will go through with banning ICE by 2035. It's not a reasonable law.

Quick Reply: Trump administration revokes California’s authority to set auto mileage standards