Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Demon??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19 | 05:03 PM
Hoovey689

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee Demon??

First there was the SRT8. Then there was the Trackhawk. Is there a Demon hiding in plain sight?!

The Demon that Dodge chased from the Challenger range in 2018 might soon possess the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Spy shots taken near a testing facility suggest that before it retires, Jeep's flagship SUV will receive the mighty, 6.2-liter V8 engine that powered the limited-edition Challenger Demon.

Our spies spotted a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk fitted with an unusual hood we've never seen before. The standard, 707-horsepower model has a pair of power domes you could almost call discreet. The prototype depicted in the spy shots gains a much bigger bulge positioned behind a scoop that looks functional. It stands to reason that a mammoth supercharger requires both.

Shoehorned in the Demon, the supercharged, 6.2-liter Hemi V8 made 840 horsepower when burning race gas, though that figure dropped to 808 when it slurped premium unleaded. The Challenger Demon took 2.3 seconds to reach 60 mph from a stop, and it popped a wheelie for nearly three feet. Imagine a Grand Cherokee capable of delivering similar performance.

Stuffing the Demon engine between the Grand Cherokee's fenders would allow Jeep to brag about building the most powerful SUV on the market. To add context, the Lamborghini Urus offers 650 horsepower from a twin-turbocharged, 4.0-liter V8. Shop at Porsche, and the most you can drive home is 670 horsepower courtesy of the gasoline-electric Cayenne Turbo S E-Hybrid. Bentley pegs the 190-mph Bentayga Speed's output at 635 horsepower.

Jeep hasn't publicly announced plans to release an even wilder evolution of the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. Assuming that's what the spy shots depict, the model will likely make its official debut in the coming months, and it will arrive in showrooms during the 2020 model year. It might be the last variant of the current-generation Grand Cherokee; Jeep has already started testing the model's replacement, and we're expecting to see it in the metal by the end of the 2020 calendar year.
Source
Old 09-19-19 | 06:20 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

I'm not complaining, but how is Fiat Chrysler getting away with making so many gas guzzling vehicles?! seems like they have more hellcats and demons than anything else in the lineup. Meanwhile, everyone else is in a race to stuff a s*^+ 4 cylinder into everything.
Old 09-19-19 | 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
I'm not complaining, but how is Fiat Chrysler getting away with making so many gas guzzling vehicles?
Simple. Owners LOVE them. They have some of the highest customer-satisfaction ratings in Consumer Reports' data base.
Old 09-19-19 | 07:54 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
I'm not complaining, but how is Fiat Chrysler getting away with making so many gas guzzling vehicles?! seems like they have more hellcats and demons than anything else in the lineup. Meanwhile, everyone else is in a race to stuff a s*^+ 4 cylinder into everything.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple. Owners LOVE them. They have some of the highest customer-satisfaction ratings in Consumer Reports' data base.
I think you missed the point. I believe that GFerg was asking about how FCA gets around the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) regulations.

Is it buying CAFE credits or paying penalties to allow it to sell gas-guzzlers that no doubt lower its average?
Old 09-19-19 | 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I think you missed the point. I believe that GFerg was asking about how FCA gets around the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) regulations.

Is it buying CAFE credits or paying penalties to allow it to sell gas-guzzlers that no doubt lower its average?
OK, I understand. I don't quite have the answer to that one, though I think that Chrysler was granted at least a partial-waiver at one time.

I tried to PM you, but the system was locked. Your questions about the new Corolla trunk/interior space are ready in my Corolla test-drive thread.
Old 09-19-19 | 08:51 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Sulu

Must be both, because I can barely think of any models outside the Fiat 500 that could help them meet CAFE, and even if it does, I doubt they sell enough.
Old 09-19-19 | 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Must be both, because I can barely think of any models outside the Fiat 500 that could help them meet CAFE, and even if it does, I doubt they sell enough.

Well, you could possibly include the small Jeep Renegade, although that is technically a re-bodied Fiat product (500X). The FWD version of the crossover Jeep Compass also has relatively good mileage ratings. And the Fiat 124 Spyder, a re-engined Mazda Miata, gets 35 Highway and 30 Combined.

But, no, you have a point that FCA is generally not known for econoboxes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-19 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-19-19 | 10:52 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you could possibly include the small Jeep Renegade, although that is technically a re-bodied Fiat product (500X). The FWD version of the crossover Jeep Compass also has relatively good mileage ratings. And the Fiat 124 Spyder, a re-engined Mazda Miata, gets 35 Highway and 30 Combined.

But, no, you have a point that FCA is generally not known for econoboxes.
Absolutely the Renegade is one of the few volume 4-cylinders they have. The 124 Spyder does get good mileage, but they don't sell enough to move the needle
Old 09-20-19 | 03:38 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

This paragraph makes no sense:

Stuffing the Demon engine between the Grand Cherokee's fenders would allow Jeep to brag about building the most powerful SUV on the market. To add context, the Lamborghini Urus offers 650 horsepower from a twin-turbocharged, 4.0-liter V8. Shop at Porsche, and the most you can drive home is 670 horsepower courtesy of the gasoline-electric Cayenne Turbo S E-Hybrid. Bentley pegs the 190-mph Bentayga Speed's output at 635 horsepower.

Last time I checked, 707 was already a bigger number than 650, 670, and 635.
Old 09-20-19 | 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
This paragraph makes no sense:

Last time I checked, 707 was already a bigger number than 650, 670, and 635.

Agreed, but by some measures, torque is actually a more important figure. Torque is usually what determines acceleration, particularly at lower speeds. HP is more of an indicator of ultimate top speed in overcoming air resistance.
Old 09-20-19 | 12:21 PM
Hoovey689

Is there a 200mph SUV yet? Maybe that's what they're gunning for? Who knows. Whatever it is, it will be very limited and possibly a final hurrah to this generation of JGC which has been very successful
Old 09-20-19 | 01:51 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Isn't the JGC about to be replaced soon? Could this just be some kind of mule for the upcoming model?
Old 09-20-19 | 10:06 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by jwong77
Isn't the JGC about to be replaced soon? Could this just be some kind of mule for the upcoming model?
I doubt they need a mule when the actual 2021 is running around. The red one above appears to be a Trackhawk with something special going on under that power dome