Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any way to identify 0W-20 synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 10:11 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Any way to identify 0W-20 synthetic?

Okay, probably a dumb question, but if I take my Lexus hybrid to an independent shop for an annual oil change, is there any way to know whether they used 0W-20 synthetic oil rather than just throw in regular 5W-20? I think it would be a temptation for the shop to charge for the expensive stuff but use cheap oil instead. And the synthetic would be good for a year, not six months.

I guess I could just buy the synthetic stuff and change it myself, but I'm getting tired of crawling under cars.
Old 10-01-19, 10:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Short of seeing where it comes from, not really. What I do is buy my own oil and have the shop who changes the oil use it.
Old 10-01-19, 11:02 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Don't think so. Kinda like filling up with 93 octane gas. I just trust that's what is going into my cars when I press the button and pay the premium..!
Old 10-01-19, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Buy it yourself and give it to the shop when you take your vehicle in for service (and, if possible, watch them pour it in). Or, simply change the oil yourself if you have the time, facilities, and space to do it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-01-19 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 07:52 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Unless you watch them pour it, absolutely zero way
Yes, you won't know unless you're watching them from the glass partition, lol.

Originally Posted by riredale
Okay, probably a dumb question, but if I take my Lexus hybrid to an independent shop for an annual oil change, is there any way to know whether they used 0W-20 synthetic oil rather than just throw in regular 5W-20? I think it would be a temptation for the shop to charge for the expensive stuff but use cheap oil instead. And the synthetic would be good for a year, not six months.

I guess I could just buy the synthetic stuff and change it myself, but I'm getting tired of crawling under cars.
These guys will find out for you and they'll send you a test kit which you can mail back to them with a sample of your vehicle's oil. They can find out the viscosity but you will have to send them a fresh sample not something that's been in your engine for many, many miles. If you're an oil nerd like me, you'll love this stuff.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What I do is buy my own oil and have the shop who changes the oil use it.
But you won't actually see them pour it in. They could take your jug of oil and substitute something else. In your case, you probably have a great relationship with the shop and its owners and mechanics, so not a real issue.
Old 10-01-19, 08:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

unless you don't change your oil very often, it will make zero difference.
Old 10-02-19, 03:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
unless you don't change your oil very often, it will make zero difference.
And even then, the most common reason that 0w20 is specified rather than say, 5w30, has nothing to do with the lubricating properties of the oil. It's all about lowering friction to improve fuel economy.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. Worst case you got swindled into better protection for your engine.
Old 10-02-19, 10:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
But you won't actually see them pour it in. They could take your jug of oil and substitute something else. In your case, you probably have a great relationship with the shop and its owners and mechanics, so not a real issue.
I trust my shop. At some point you have to, or just decide to do it yourself.
Old 10-02-19, 10:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
And even then, the most common reason that 0w20 is specified rather than say, 5w30, has nothing to do with the lubricating properties of the oil. It's all about lowering friction to improve fuel economy.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. Worst case you got swindled into better protection for your engine.
This actually isn't completely accurate. 0W oils are thinner when cold than 5W oils, if you live in a really cold climate, 0W20 will give you better cold start protection than 5W20 because the oil will flow better at startup.
Old 10-02-19, 10:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

maybe if you're at the north pole it will make a difference.
Old 10-02-19, 10:25 AM
Shaummy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I trust my shop. At some point you have to, or just decide to do it yourself.

This....if you don't trust the shop...you probably shouldn't be taking your car there in the first place.
Old 10-02-19, 10:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe if you're at the north pole it will make a difference.
Eh, if I lived somewhere that we routinely had temps below 0 I'd rather have the 0W.
Old 10-02-19, 11:28 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Eh, if I lived somewhere that we routinely had temps below 0 I'd rather have the 0W.
Meh, the viscosity index of 0W oil at -40F is exactly the same as 5W oil at -31F. Very minor difference. I do live somewhere where it routinely gets below 0F in the winter, and I'd rather have the extra protection year-round. All my cars get 5W30 or 5W40.

Japanese manufacturers are obsessive about fuel economy, so they were the first to adopt the 0W oils. The Germans care most about engine protection and long oil change intervals and couldn't care less about a 1.2% increase in mpg, so they're last to the party. American manufacturers are in between.
Old 10-02-19, 12:33 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks to all.

Just so happened that Costco today is starting a $10 discount on Mobil1 0w-20, a 6-pack is now $28. I bought a couple of cases after looking at a YouTube video. Changing oil and filter is just as simple as with my old Vette so I'll just do it myself and save the more-serious service for a shop.

I don't understand why Toyota uses a cartridge-type filter instead of a can. For light aircraft it's useful to cut open the can to see if the engine is throwing metal, but I doubt that's an issue with automotive engines.
Old 10-02-19, 01:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

This actually isn't completely accurate. 0W oils are thinner when cold than 5W oils, if you live in a really cold climate, 0W20 will give you better cold start protection than 5W20 because the oil will flow better at startup.
Then they could just recommend 0W30 which would provide the same cold weather start protection but also a little more protection in hot climates/if engines get hotter. The main reason most manufactures went with 20 weight when often the same engine was rated for 30 just a couple years before was to eek out slightly better fuel economy.

Quick Reply: Any way to identify 0W-20 synthetic?