Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Am I weird?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 10:19 AM
Thecar
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Am I weird?

I just read a news story about a fatal crash during an illegal street race, where one driver lost control of his Nissan Altima. Is it weird that my first reaction was "Ugh, who races a car with a CVT?"
Old 10-03-19, 10:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

The same judgement that went into buying a Nissan Altima.

Old 10-03-19, 11:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

You can drive slow cars fast too. Even crappy Corollas will do 100mph easily.
Old 10-03-19, 11:17 AM
Thecar
Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yes they will, but how useful will that be in a street race (unless both drivers are driving corollas I guess!)

I mean, a Prius can probably do 100 as well, but even a rolla might win that race...
Old 10-03-19, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
There's nothing crappy about a Corolla. Show me a sedan that is more reliable in actual service. Vehicles are not to be debased just because they are not race cars.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The same judgement that went into buying a Nissan Altima.

It's not necessarily the best car in its class, but the Altima tends to be underrated. Except for the (possible) long-term reliability of the CVT, it seems pretty solidly-built. I've seen lots worse.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-19 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-03-19, 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Thecar
I just read a news story about a fatal crash during an illegal street race, where one driver lost control of his Nissan Altima. Is it weird that my first reaction was "Ugh, who races a car with a CVT?"

I would not say you are weird for having that reaction, but I think a better one would have been simple disgust at the morons who continue to do this kind of dangerous action on public roads. Vehicle-racing on public roads is outlawed (and reckless-driving laws in place) for a reason.
Old 10-03-19, 11:54 AM
Thecar
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's nothing crappy about a Corolla. Show me a sedan that is more reliable in actual service. Vehicles are not to be debased just because they are not race cars.

It's not necessarily the best car in its class, but the Altima tends to be underrated. Except for the (possible) long-term reliability of the CVT, it seems pretty solidly-built. I've seen lots worse.

This is not a thread about driving cars at normal speeds and valuing reliability.
Old 10-03-19, 11:55 AM
Thecar
Driver

I would not say you are weird for having that reaction, but I think a better one would have been simple disgust at the morons who continue to do this kind of dangerous action on public roads. Vehicle-racing on public roads is outlawed (and reckless-driving laws in place) for a reason.
I am in complete agreement. The driver was actually from the town next to mine, and we have had idiots on our small road going well in excess of the limit (and I have a small child, which makes me even more sensitive).
Old 10-03-19, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This is not a thread about driving cars at normal speeds and valuing reliability.

True, but I'm responding to those who IMO debase these vehicles for unfair or irrelevant reasons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-19 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-03-19, 12:02 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

maybe he's saying that even a crappy example of a corolla will do 100 mph because they're so good
Old 10-03-19, 12:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
maybe he's saying that even a crappy example of a corolla will do 100 mph because they're so good
I rented a crappy Corolla and it did 100mph. It was a base model and really crappy drive.
Old 10-03-19, 12:11 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I rented a crappy Corolla and it did 100mph. It was a base model and really crappy drive.
when i say good i mean good as "a car" and not much more haha... but just being "a car" is all it needs to be, it's like the perfect "a car"
Old 10-03-19, 01:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nissan's been selling the Altima for over 20 years, long before they used the CVT. Without having seen the article, I would have guessed that it's an older model that's been modified to aspire to be Fast N Furious.
Old 10-03-19, 01:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I have heard multiple times on many different podcasts (many times) that a CVT will outperform an automatic if the engines were the same. Same with a CVT over a manual
Old 10-03-19, 01:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

I've worked on a few they are poorly made would never buy one.

Quick Reply: Am I weird?