Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Finally fixed my exhaust $6000. Lmao....try $350

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Sure i did. Car runs great, no CEL, Passes inspection every time, and still gets 30MPG on the highway.
It still has a bad CAT. It only passes inspection because you tricked the computer into not throwing a code.

You didn't fix anything, you just made it look externally like it doesn't have a problem. Thats not a repair any dealership or mechanic should do, its unethical.
Old 10-07-19, 01:08 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It still has a bad CAT. It only passes inspection because you tricked the computer into not throwing a code.

You didn't fix anything, you just made it look externally like it doesn't have a problem. Thats not a repair any dealership or mechanic should do, its unethical.
Technically, it has 3. And I am not convinced they are bad. Sure, it threw a code. But I get no rotten egg smell on hard acceleration, not misfiring, not low on power, etc. Only way it could throw that code is if the precious metals in the catalyst were "used up" or if it was clogged. No way a cat with 155k on it at the time this happened ran out of catalyst. They are designed to last 300k or more.

And yes, I am aware that its not how a mechanic should do it, I am one. I agree it is unethical on someone else's car that they are paying me to work on, but on my own? The mere notion is laughable. Also laughable that should one pay $3000 to "repair" a car worth $4000 (at most). Thats like saying anyone with a bad cat on a car thats worth 5k or less should just throw it away. My way is a much wiser financial move. If I had my way about it, I would remove the cats altogether, but then it would fail inspection. Ain't communism great?

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 10-07-19 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Technically, it has 3. And I am not convinced they are bad. Sure, it threw a code. But I get no rotten egg smell on hard acceleration, not misfiring, not low on power, etc. Only way it could throw that code is if the precious metals in the catalyst were "used up" or if it was clogged. No way a cat with 155k on it at the time this happened ran out of catalyst. They are designed to last 300k or more.
Then what is causing the ECU to throw a code? Something is wrong that hasn't been repaired.

And yes, I am aware that its not how a mechanic should do it, I am one. I agree it is unethical on someone else's car that they are paying me to work on, but on my own? The mere notion is laughable. Also laughable that should one pay $3000 to "repair" a car worth $4000 (at most). Thats like saying anyone with a bad cat on a car thats worth 5k or less should just throw it away. My way is a much wiser financial move. If I had my way about it, I would remove the cats altogether, but then it would fail inspection. Ain't communism great?
But thats the whole point of the discussion. A dealer or mechanic is not trying to screw a customer because they won't make a "repair" like this to their car and instead quote them for a proper repair.
Old 10-07-19, 07:01 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Usually the only real ways to burn a cat is
a) factory defect (rare)
b) burning oil
c) running rich

The defouler method is the oldest trick in the book, and it solves folks who need a quick pass. Unfortunately it does not resolve the underlying issue nor are you passing emissions scientifically . However knowing how backwards the early OBD2 systems on Toyotas were (folks would get o2 sensor codes, but it would the maf sensor). Regardless officially, a lexus authorized service center would not do it or recommend it. Off the record though, is a whole different ball game.