Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer SOS: New GM vehicle needs more than 50 repairs and counting

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Proper journalistic guidelines would of been to check and vet whether this man is telling the truth
I wouldn't necessarily toss his claim out the window. 50 repairs needed on a new vehicle is very rare, but not unheard of. In 1970, Consumer Reports once set an all-time record for finding 52 actual repairable defects in a new vehicle....a 1970 Plymouth Satellite (their mid-sized passenger car at the time). And that did not even count the cosmetic flaws in the paint. I don't have that old article where I can copy/post it, but I do distinctly remember the article and what it said.....I was reviewing vehicles back then, too, even as a teen-ager.

And it's not surprising that a 1970 Plymouth holds the all-time CR defect-record. Many Chrysler products, back then, had quality control that, in comparison, would make the later Yugo look good LOL.

I also remember, as a teenager, in a local Dodge showroom, right around that same time (1969/1970), sitting in a new Polara (one of their full-size sedans), sampling the front pull-down arm rest, and the whole arm-rest assembly simply fell right out of the hole in the bench seatback and dropped down on the floor. I picked it up, took it over to the sales manager, handed it to him, and his face turned red as a beet with embarrassment.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-08-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-08-19, 02:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Sounds like they're doing everything they can do...

You also have to ask, are these actually faults with the vehicle or are they perceived issues that they're taking steps to try and remedy? Like "the vehicle slips into reverse", the Traverse has a physical gearshift, how can it "slip into reverse when going into drive"? Of these "50 issues" what are the issues? For instance if you added up the number of "issues" ive had with my Pacifica its a lot of issues, but they're all very minor.
For sure. I am sure the dealer has a record of these issues and complaints or fixes. I hope the news org did their due diligence to check the receipts and claims. 50+ sounds unheard of in this day and age. If it’s all warranty, I hope GM steps up. I am sure they have in the past.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-08-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-08-19, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For sure. I am sure the dealer has a record of these issues and complaints or fixes. I hope the news org did their due diligence to check the receipts and claims. 50+ sounds unheard of in this day and age. If it’s all warranty, I hope GM steps up. I am sure they have in the past.
It all depends on what the issues are. If I add up everything I have brought to the dealer's attention since I've had my Pacifica, I bet its 30 things. How many of those things are MAJOR? I would say 4.