Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any BMW X1 Drivers or Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-19, 07:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Reverted the thread title to the more descriptive one.
Old 10-16-19, 08:37 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I used to have a 2008 IS250 AWD. Current cars are a 2006 Honda Civic and a 2018 Mazda CX-9. I don't have any first-hand experience with the X1, but my mom had a 2006 X3 that was mechanically sound, but had a bunch of electrical problems, and my sister had a 2010 328i that was riddled with minor issues like panel creaks and suspension noises. Based on track record, BMWs are "lease-only" for me.

Extended warranty will always be a personal preference. People who see numbers only will likely tell you that it's a bad idea, mainly because you're paying up front (and paying interest on the price of the warranty if it is rolled into the purchase price and the car is financed). Others are willing to purchase it solely for the peace of mind. And then there are those who fall right in the middle, and negotiate the price of the warranty to 50% in order to have more peace of mind.

Based on my experience with my CX-9, I would recommend the CX-5 for your situation. I don't see the point in the CX-3 (might as well get an AWD Mazda3). The CX-5 AWD makes more sense from a practical standpoint, and would handle off-road terrain better than the CX-3. The CX-5 has also outperformed the CR-V and the RAV4 in various off-road tests, even with the RAV4's Multi-Terrain Select being used. In terms of performance, the CX-5 handles the best out of the competition, while being only slightly slower in a sprint to 60 in the base engine. It's a full second faster with the turbo engine, clawing at the heels of the Acura RDX. Here are some 0-60 times:

CX-5 GT Reserve (2.5 Turbo): 6.3s
CX-5 GT (2.5 N/A): 7.8s
CR-V AWD Touring: 7.5s
RAV4 Hybrid Limited: 7.4s

The interiors of the CX-5 are very well done. IMO they rival that of some Lexus interiors, specifically in fit and finish. I've had my CX-9 for nearly two years, driving it on not-so-great roads riddled with shoddy construction work and potholes every few feet, and it hasn't developed a single rattle. The only negatives against the CX-5 are the infotainment and the mileage.
Old 10-16-19, 11:11 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Probably not too many people cross-shopping a bmw x1 and a mazda miata.
Ya well right now I have a GS300, and for purposes of this thread need a second car for an IS350 in a different location. For the 2nd car I want a completely different driving experience & not Lexus, so either a compact 2-door sports car (now in the mix is also a Toyota Supra), but I think it might be more logical & practical to have a sub-compact SUV as a 2nd car so that's where BMW X1 comes in, but now also a Mini Cooper Countryman, VW Tiguan (any comments??), or will just "settle" for a Mazda CX-3, or RAV4. I was thinking staying smaller than a CX-5. @geko29 is recommending a Golf R but that looks more like a hatchback than a subcompact SUV. Guess this is getting messy!! LOL

PS >>> my IS350 is in excellent condition, recent 4-wheel alignment, new tires, wrapped in $2000 PPF, and red leather/interior is a bit rare, which is why I want a 2nd car to preserve the IS350 for more open roads, leisure/fast driving, and from the clanging/beatings it's taking.

Last edited by LaZeR; 10-16-19 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 12:45 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
@geko29 is recommending a Golf R but that looks more like a hatchback than a subcompact SUV. Guess this is getting messy!! LOL
It is a hatchback. But it has as much or more cargo space than most subcompact suvs (X1 is one of the rare ones that has more, while the CX-3 has significantly less than your IS), in addition to being way more fun to drive than any of them, and cheaper than most of the nicer ones. Can save a few more bucks by going with a GTI. You give up AWD and about 50hp, but still a hoot to drive.

If max cargo space is what you're after, Rav4 is tough to beat. However, that doesn't exactly jive with your desire for something smaller than a CX-5, since it's 3" longer AND 3" taller than the Mazda (same width though). Essentially Rav4 is about the same increment larger than the CX-5, as the CX-5 is larger than the X1.
Old 10-16-19, 05:17 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Lightbulb CPO Mazda CX-5

Originally Posted by sm1ke
... Based on my experience with my CX-9, I would recommend the CX-5 for your situation. I don't see the point in the CX-3 (might as well get an AWD Mazda3). The CX-5 AWD makes more sense from a practical standpoint, and would handle off-road terrain better than the CX-3. The CX-5 has also outperformed the CR-V and the RAV4 in various off-road tests, even with the RAV4's Multi-Terrain Select being used. In terms of performance, the CX-5 handles the best out of the competition, while being only slightly slower in a sprint to 60 in the base engine. It's a full second faster with the turbo engine, clawing at the heels of the Acura RDX. The interiors of the CX-5 are very well done. IMO they rival that of some Lexus interiors, specifically in fit and finish. I've had my CX-9 for nearly two years, driving it on not-so-great roads riddled with shoddy construction work and potholes every few feet, and it hasn't developed a single rattle. The only negatives against the CX-5 are the infotainment and the mileage.
OK folks, NOT ONLY due to @sm1ke's and @geko29's posts, but also everything on this thread, strongly leaning towards CPO Mazda CX-5, UNLESS in the interim win the lottery in which case going for Mini Cooper Countryman or BMW X1. Gonna go do some test drives. Will come back and update later. Thanks Again for the help!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 10-16-19 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 09:09 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks @bitkahuna ~ it doesn't have to be a BMW X1 ~ that's only this thread. I'm researching and shopping around for a 2nd car and want something: a) different than Lexus(es) which I've literally driven for decades (currently own IS & GS in different locations), and b) something that offers a unique ride unlike "usual" "average" rides like Toyota/Honda/Nissan/etc. There's several models on the list including recommendations on this thread and even a Mazda Miata. Just have to do some test drives and make a decision. I have another thread clicking here.
Get a 2019 or 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0Turbo Ultimate or Limited. AWD, 35K after discounts and loaded with everything. I Liked this way better than the CX5.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 10-16-19 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 07:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK folks, NOT ONLY due to @sm1ke's and @geko29's posts, but also everything on this thread, strongly leaning towards CPO Mazda CX-5, UNLESS in the interim win the lottery in which case going for Mini Cooper Countryman or BMW X1. Gonna go do some test drives. Will come back and update later. Thanks Again for the help!!
Get a Signature (although it might be hard to find one that's CPO)
Old 10-17-19, 11:58 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Lightbulb CPO Signature / Grand Touring Reserve

Originally Posted by tex2670
Get a Signature (although it might be hard to find one that's CPO)
EXACTLY CORRECT!! Trying to find CPOs to test drive and think there might be a long wait for CPO Signature &/or CPO Grand Touring Reserve, but if I wait I think CPO could save up to around $10k +/-.

What do ya think about Grand Touring Reserve which is one trim lower than Signature? It looks like the same engine & wheels.

Last edited by LaZeR; 10-17-19 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 12:14 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

EXACTLY CORRECT!! Trying to find CPOs to test drive and think there might be a long wait for CPO Signature &/or CPO Grand Touring Reserve.

What do ya think about Grand Touring Reserve which is one trim lower than Signature?
I think you might have to wait a bit for a CPO GT Reserve or Signature. Mazda added those trims to the 2019 CX-5 models.

These are the additions you get when you opt for the Signature in the US:
  • Caturra Brown Nappa leather-trimmed seats
  • Genuine layered wood trim
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching
  • Interior LED lighting
  • Ambient cabin lighting, front and rear footwells, vanity mirror, glove box, cargo area
  • Black headliner
  • Frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink®
  • Some interior trim pieces with Bright Silver finish
  • 19-inch alloy wheels with Dark Silver finish
  • 360-degree View Monitor
  • Front and rear parking sensors
Old 10-17-19, 12:19 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

I think you might have to wait a bit for a CPO GT Reserve or Signature. These are the additions you get when you opt for the Signature in the US: 19-inch alloy wheels with Dark Silver finish
@sm1ke ~ do you know if GT Reserve includes 19" wheels?

Also, if any CX-3 models might get Turbo Charged Engines?

Thanks Again!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 10-17-19 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 01:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

EXACTLY CORRECT!! Trying to find CPOs to test drive and think there might be a long wait for CPO Signature &/or CPO Grand Touring Reserve, but if I wait I think CPO could save up to around $10k +/-.

What do ya think about Grand Touring Reserve which is one trim lower than Signature? It looks like the same engine & wheels.
Signature is totally worth it. But it's all about the amount of $$ you have to spend. To me, the additional Signature features are completely worth the price, particularly the Nappa leather, genuine wood trim and black headliner:
I think you might have to wait a bit for a CPO GT Reserve or Signature. Mazda added those trims to the 2019 CX-5 models.

These are the additions you get when you opt for the Signature in the US:
  • Caturra Brown Nappa leather-trimmed seats
  • Genuine layered wood trim
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching
  • Interior LED lighting
  • Ambient cabin lighting, front and rear footwells, vanity mirror, glove box, cargo area
  • Black headliner
  • Frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink®
  • Some interior trim pieces with Bright Silver finish
  • 19-inch alloy wheels with Dark Silver finish
  • 360-degree View Monitor
  • Front and rear parking sensors
@sm1ke ~ do you know if GT Reserve includes 19" wheels?

Also, if any CX-3 models might get Turbo Charged Engines?

Thanks Again!!
GT Reserve has 19" wheels, but not the same style as the Signature.

If the CX-3 gets a turbo engine, it probably won't happen for years. I wouldn't hold my breath for this generation to have one.
Old 10-17-19, 03:05 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by tex2670
... To me, the additional Signature features are completely worth the price, particularly the Nappa leather, ...
Well I might move to Tampa, FL and quite often cloth seats are much more comfortable in blazing heat than leather seats.

In fact, based on some research, car prices in general seem to average around $4k cheaper in Tampa than Los Angeles, so might wait instead of having to transport.

Do you guys know the best brand/model tires for tread life on blazing hot sunny roads?
Old 10-17-19, 04:59 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Well I might move to Tampa, FL and quite often cloth seats are much more comfortable in blazing heat than leather seats.
....but they are vented in the Signature....
Old 10-17-19, 05:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

good leather, even black leather like i had in my jeep, is no issue in hot sun. Car glass is so good these days, it blocks a lot heat coming in.

Do you guys know the best brand/model tires for tread life on blazing hot sunny roads?
all tires can handle hot sunny roads. They all have treadwear ratings.

you’re all over the map.
Old 10-17-19, 05:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

“Grand touring reserve” - a bit pretentious trim name for a MAZDA and it’s not even the top trim (Signature)

Quick Reply: Any BMW X1 Drivers or Experience?