Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any BMW X1 Drivers or Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 07:42 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question Any BMW X1 Drivers or Experience?

Hi, I'm a long time multiple Lexus Owner/Driver thinking of getting a second ride to preserve my IS350 FSport RWD from hauling my mountain bike to the hills/beach, other off-road/dirt driving, aggressive/stupid traffic/drivers, etc. The only other regular passenger is my girlfriend.

If you have experience driving BMW X1, or know some owners, do you have any comments on them? Thanks!!

PS >>> all comments welcome but especially interested in: components/parts breakdowns, reliability, how much you pay for unexpected repairs, if BMW's Extended Warranty is any good, etc.

Last edited by LaZeR; 10-15-19 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-14-19, 08:29 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

One of, if not the only car sold that doesn't offer blind spot monitor. What are they thinking?
Old 10-14-19, 10:28 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Question Do You Have a SECOND Car??

Hi, I'm a long time multiple Lexus Owner/Driver thinking of getting a second ride to preserve my IS350 FSport RWD from hauling my mountain bike to the hills/beach, other off-road/dirt driving, aggressive/stupid traffic/drivers, etc. The only other regular passenger is my girlfriend.

The 2nd vehicle doesn't HAVE to be a compact SUV but right now I'm looking at: * BMW X1, * Toyota RAV4 (although I want a different brand than Lexus), * Mazda CX-3, and maybe * Honda CR-V.

* Do you also have a 2nd car? * If you're a IS350 driver (which is a pretty deliberate pick) what do you think makes for a good 2nd car? * Any other comments, suggestions, ideas?

THANKS!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 10-15-19 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-15-19, 01:42 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR

The 2nd vehicle doesn't HAVE to be a compact SUV but right now I'm looking at: * BMW X1, * Toyota RAV4 (although I want a different brand than Lexus), * Mazda CX-3, and maybe * Honda CR-V.

* Do you also have a 2nd car? * If you're a IS350 driver what do you think makes for a good 2nd car? * Any other comments, suggestions, ideas?

THANKS!!
Any of those except the BMW X1. Really bad reliability ratings. My sister has a CRV and she loves it. I think the CR-V or the RAV4 is your best bet. I do like Mazda but they aren’t quite to the level of Honda and Toyota.
Old 10-15-19, 02:31 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flash5
Any of those except the BMW X1. Really bad reliability ratings.
Ya, want the X1 for the fun factor, and performance, plus you're driving a "BMW", but reliability ratings put a serious damper in this equation. Must find out if BMW dealers can add a CPO Extended Warranty.
Old 10-15-19, 04:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had one as a loaner when my F30 328ix was in the shop. I wasn't terribly impressed. It's definitely not as quiet inside as my F30; the standard seats were blah. If you are interested, I suggest making sure you get the sport seats, and getting one with the professional nav with the wider iDrive screen.
Old 10-15-19, 04:48 AM
robawrench
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a second car, but it's a truck. 2011 GMC sierra crew cab. When winter really hits here in Ohio and it is snowy it becomes my primary vehicle and the IS sits in the garage. The truck is also used for:
- House maintenance jobs (picking up materials, disposing of materials)
- Moving bikes, kayaks, whatever....
- Long road trips with the whole family and the dog
- Can carry 6 people

The truck drives like a truck and eats gas, but I would find it less useful to have two cars that are too close in size / capacity.
Old 10-15-19, 05:10 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Hmmm, probably an oddball here, but my 2014 IS 350 AWD is my second car. Use it for hauling stuff and people. Put a hitch on it so I can use a bike rack. And have a set of winter wheels/tires, as I don’t drive my ‘first car’ in the winter (a 2007 Jaguar XK convertible).
Old 10-15-19, 06:07 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I had one as a loaner for a little over a week when the SCR was being replaced in my 335d. This was during a record cold-snap, so there were several days when delivery trucks wouldn't start, therefore no parts deliveries. The interior doesn't feel fitting of the badge, controls are TINY--my 12-year-old still mocks them 10 months later. At 6'4", though I was perfectly comfortable once inside, it was a bit of a challenge squeezing myself through the opening between the steering wheel and the B-pillar. N20 engine was plenty peppy, and it was surprisingly fun to drive, especially in the snow. Very easy to get the tail out, despite being FWD-based. So I did a LOT of drifting while I had it.

Sticker price on my loaner would be a tad shy of $45k. No way in hell would I pay that. For $4k less, I could get a Golf R which is superior in every imaginable way. And if SUV-ness ranked higher than the than fun-to-drive quotient (but both were still important), I'd save $7-10k and get a Mazda CX-5.

If you really want a BMW SUV, the cheapest one in the lineup worth considering is the X3.
Old 10-15-19, 06:23 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Any of those except the BMW X1. Really bad reliability ratings. My sister has a CRV and she loves it. I think the CR-V or the RAV4 is your best bet. I do like Mazda but they aren’t quite to the level of Honda and Toyota.
I've had 2 Mazda's prior to getting my IS300 and they're great imo and their interior quality is better than both Honda/Toyota for the most part.
Old 10-15-19, 07:17 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by robawrench
I have a second car, but it's a truck. 2011 GMC sierra crew cab. When winter really hits here in Ohio and it is snowy it becomes my primary vehicle and the IS sits in the garage. The truck is also used for:
- House maintenance jobs (picking up materials, disposing of materials)
- Moving bikes, kayaks, whatever....
- Long road trips with the whole family and the dog
- Can carry 6 people

The truck drives like a truck and eats gas, but I would find it less useful to have two cars that are too close in size / capacity.
Same here but a '14 Tundra. Have to have something that can go offroad, go to the hardware stores, haul a boat and trailer, load down with anything and everything for road trips, etc.
Old 10-15-19, 07:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Not sure how the X1 is unreliable. Uses the same engine as any 3 series just flipped around and uses the Lexus RX350 8 speed transmission. If that's what you want, get it. Plus if it's a lease (if it's a lease) that's even more reason not to care. Are you looking to buy? If you went X1, i'd of course get as new as possible. If you're getting used, the first gen X1s, you can get the twin turbo straight six =D and it's RWD...or RWD based (if you get awd)

I also like the new CRV hybrid or the crosstrek hybrid.

So first lets start with are you talking old old cars or brand new off the lot? lease or buy?
Old 10-15-19, 08:40 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Currently own a 2018 X1. I purchased it to replace our RX450h. I really only considered it because I was trying to downsize and compared to the others in the segment at the time, it was the best all-rounder and provided the most interior volume than anyone else given the size of the vehicle. There are many things I do like, but also many that I dont. This was a lease so I didn't really care much about the purchase.

pros:
good trunk utility, square design with plenty of underfloor storage
good engine and 8 speed
premium feeling cabin with ambient lighting, panoramic sunroof
IMO exterior design that wins over the GLA and Q3
included maintenance for 3 years

Cons:
I couldn't find one with the technology package with the full navigation screen so stuck with the terrible 6 inch display with business nav
really firm seats. I have the sport seats with adjustable thigh support, but still not good seat design
surprisingly bad fuel economy
intrusive start/stop that almost activates before the car comes to a complete stop
nickle and dimed for features like CarPlay, adjustable rear seats
weird bmw-ness that took me a while to get used to, such as the front seat memory controls location, power folding mirrors that dont auto fold when locked, fog lights won't stay on (they revert to being off when restarted), I-drive (keep in mind you will be buying one with the old I-drive software and not the latest in the new cars)
lack of a telescoping steering wheel
rear middle seat seatbelt is attached at the roof
Closer to end of lifecycle compared to rivals
road noise
Old 10-15-19, 09:33 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by E46CT
Not sure how the X1 is unreliable. ... So first lets start with are you talking old old cars or brand new off the lot? lease or buy?
I think what he means is in general after BMW warranties expire, and this especially includes the X1, you get lotsa different issues & problems and the car becomes a money pit.

I usually buy CPO cars with less than 35k miles, but if I get the X1 it'd have to be less than 20k miles, plus buy an extended warranty.

Last edited by LaZeR; 10-15-19 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-15-19, 09:44 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

you can also get an UX Hybrid.. has AWD. check the UX forum.. i posted an article where one was lifted w/ springs and wheels and tires thrown on. looks cool for some light off roading.

Quick Reply: Any BMW X1 Drivers or Experience?