Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Genesis GV70

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 01:18 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Doug says he considers this the best compact luxury SUV on sale...

Last edited by Motorola; 09-07-21 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 03:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Yeah, don’t care what reviewers are saying. My own personal subjective opinion is this is a confused interior design that won’t age well. Feels like it should be in a PT cruiser to me, not a luxury car. Simply don’t care for it.

I typically like Genesis interior design, this not so much.
after seeing doug's review, i was reminded of this post. i know you "don't care what reviewers are saying", but doug is BLOWN AWAY by the GV70 interior.
Old 09-10-21, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Another very positive and thorough review...

Old 09-11-21, 06:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
after seeing doug's review, i was reminded of this post. i know you "don't care what reviewers are saying", but doug is BLOWN AWAY by the GV70 interior.

Here is the big problem….Hyundai dealer on the background…Genesis needs dealers…I have seen a G70 in the wild, it does look good and quite unique. The tail pipes are not great

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-11-21 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-12-21, 02:54 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Just watched Doug's video. I personally think this SUV is great based on what I saw of the interior design, materials and quality. All that metal trim etc., definitely makes it feel very premium. Exterior looks great too. Not fan of the silly design on the wheel spokes - too busy looking.
Old 09-17-21, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Savagegeese review is very thoughtful and i thought on point about branding, competitors, how it's likely to do.

when jack asks mark point blank is the GV70 enough to get people to switch from German brands, mark says "no", lol.

Another point jack makes is while the car is quiet as far as wind and engine noise, it isn't that quiet as far as tire noise, which is something i also experienced on my G90 (which i loved anyway).

Old 09-17-21, 07:15 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Mark and Jack actually like the GV70 more than the Germans, because they found that it had more character. Their point about it not "swaying" German buyers was entirely to do with the badge.

As a side note, I'm not sure what's going on with Genesis marketing because it appears the GV70 never got an official press launch in the U.S. Every reviewer is just uploading their reviews on separate days and most of them aren't even press vehicles, but from dealer lots. I think Doug touched on this in his GV70 review. It's like in moving to EV's, Genesis wants to pretend that the GV70 no longer exists.
Old 09-17-21, 08:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Mark and Jack actually like the GV70 more than the Germans, because they found that it had more character. Their point about it not "swaying" German buyers was entirely to do with the badge.

As a side note, I'm not sure what's going on with Genesis marketing because it appears the GV70 never got an official press launch in the U.S. Every reviewer is just uploading their reviews on separate days and most of them aren't even press vehicles, but from dealer lots. I think Doug touched on this in his GV70 review. It's like in moving to EV's, Genesis wants to pretend that the GV70 no longer exists.
Yea Kia/Hyundai/Genesis can't market a got damn thing. Simply awful. Till this day, I still get stopped multiple times a day because so many people have zero clue what a Stinger is and Ive had my first one since 2018. It's even worse now cause no one knows Kia changed the logo now. I've yet to see a commercial on the car. So this doesn't surprise me in the least bit about Genesis. Its like anything over 35k doesn't have a marketing budget. Lol.
Old 09-17-21, 08:11 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GFerg
Yea Kia/Hyundai/Genesis can't market a got damn thing. Simply awful. Till this day, I still get stopped multiple times a day because so many people have zero clue what a Stinger is and Ive had my first one since 2018. It's even worse now cause no one knows Kia changed the logo now. I've yet to see a commercial on the car. So this doesn't surprise me in the least bit about Genesis. Its like anything over 35k doesn't have a marketing budget. Lol.
What's really bizarre is that something as niche as the Santa Cruz got a much larger press launch than the GV70. So much so that it was the fastest-selling new vehicle in the U.S. last month.
Old 09-17-21, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

the Santa Cruz got a much larger press launch than the GV70. So much so that it was the fastest-selling new vehicle in the U.S. last month.
In this recent skewed market, I wouldn't put too much stock in that. It may have sold simply because it was more available than some other vehicles.
Old 09-17-21, 08:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

What's really bizarre is that something as niche as the Santa Cruz got a much larger press launch than the GV70. So much so that it was the fastest-selling new vehicle in the U.S. last month.
Lol. Sounds about right. It's cheap enough so they'll throw everything at it.
Old 09-17-21, 09:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

when jack asks mark point blank is the GV70 enough to get people to switch from German brands, mark says "no", lol.
Their sales have to come from somewhere. But at some point there will be a limit on how many rwd sales the brand can achieve. FWD is where all the volume is…with the popularity of the Pallisade and Tellyouride…a Genesis version would give the best sell luxury vehicle a big run for the money.
Old 09-17-21, 09:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Yea Kia/Hyundai/Genesis can't market a got damn thing. Simply awful. Till this day, I still get stopped multiple times a day because so many people have zero clue what a Stinger is and Ive had my first one since 2018.
with most people's face buried in phones, it's a wonder if they can identify ANY cars any longer. i think most people simply don't care. marketing cars in this time is hard. do they spend on tv, social media, 'events', sponsorships or celebrity spokespersons and is there a payoff for any of it? and especially with chip shortages, what's the point in generating demand you can't fill? maybe better off not spending that money.

That's because they expect to sell that in far bigger numbers.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Their sales have to come from somewhere. But at some point there will be a limit on how many rwd sales the brand can achieve. FWD is where all the volume is…with the popularity of the Pallisade and Tellyouride…a Genesis version would give the best sell luxury vehicle a big run for the money.
Disagree... bulk of german luxury models (x3,x5,x7,glc,gle,gls) are rwd or awd. Yes they offer some 'cheaper' ones that are fwd. and the telluride and palisade are impressive to be sure, as 'premium' value models, but with nothing special under the hood and if you look at their side profiles, they're not exactly elegant.

Genesis is clearly a work in progress... they botched their launch and now are in the middle of rebranding and a chip crisis, not easy. I loved my g90, wasn't ready for another though (decided to get 2 vehicles as you know - suv/coupe - instead) and i don't care for the gv80.

Old 09-18-21, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Another point jack makes is while the car is quiet as far as wind and engine noise, it isn't that quiet as far as tire noise, which is something i also experienced on my G90 (which i loved anyway).
Its interesting that both Genesis and Lexus have this problem. I wonder if its something that Genesis developed by reverse engineering how Lexus does sound deadening in the LS?

Now that I have the S560, the difference in isolation from road noise is remarkable. If anything, wind noise and exterior vehicle noise is louder than it was in the LS, but the difference in road noise makes the S feel overall quieter. If Lexus or Genesis could pair Mercedes' ability to dampen road noise with their already excellent way of limiting wind and ambient noise then their cars would really be extraordinarily quiet.
Old 09-18-21, 10:21 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

That's because they expect to sell that in far bigger numbers.
I sincerely doubt that. Santa Cruz is in a niche vehicle in a segment that hasn't existed since the Baja and is made and sold only in North America. Meanwhile the GV70 is in the hottest segment of vehicles currently in the world- the compact crossover CUV.

If anything, I think Hyundai spent way more advertising bux on the Santa Cruz because it had a much higher risk of failing due to its nicheness. Worked a bit too well and now they can't even build enough of them.

Quick Reply: 2022 Genesis GV70