Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Genesis GV70

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 07:36 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Toyota and BMW executives upon seeing this tonight, in real time:

Old 10-28-20, 08:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

I am stunned. GV70 looks GREAT. I was just thinking, why do other lux brands go cheaper on interior as you go down in size, that shouldn't have to be the case... well looks the GV70 interior is super high quality.

And a GV70 Sport version too!
Old 10-28-20, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Give us a review when you can, pbm317...you will probably get a chance to test-drive one before most of the rest of us.
Old 10-28-20, 08:08 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Now that I've had time to notice the details, the infotainment controller has been changed to a raised **** instead of the iPod rotary dial in the G80 and GV80. Might not be the best bit of design when it's literally right next to the rotary shifter that's the exact same shape and size.

A weak point on an otherwise great interior. The new sport steering wheel should make its way into the higher performance versions of the G80 and GV80 soon.
Old 10-28-20, 08:12 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

the c pillar fender area is a mess.

too many lines crisscrossing one another.
the upward belt line and bulge lines, the downward character line.
Old 10-29-20, 06:53 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

The steering wheel doesn’t match the sporty look of the exterior. The steering wheel needs more beef like the X3. I like the exterior though. The navi looks a bit far from the driver is it just the pics?

Last edited by Xanadu350; 10-29-20 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-29-20, 07:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

I may be an outlier here, but I think that interior looks horrid and will not age well both in color and design. Maybe the photo is bad and it'd match in person, but it seems like there are at least 4 different shades of pink salmon, watermelon, burnt sienna and burgundy on the dash face, sides of the center console, console cover, surround of the dash and stitching on both the dash and seats. And they all remind me of sun-faded Plymouth Volare burgundy interior colors.

Interior design is confused between trying to feel futuristic and steam punk. Drivers door trim should be down a skooch to align with the dash, maybe it's the picture vantage but camera seems to be located where the driver's head would be (or could be that's the vent which I'd constantly by trying to OCD align with the door trim, lol). The chrome chiclet buttons under the controls have the vibe of old 80's Onkyo tape deck buttons. And not sure it the tablet jammed into the dash also has touch screen capabilities, could be hard to reach located there but I generally don't like that design regardless of make.

Maybe it's somewhat better in another color but thumbs down for me on the inside of this ride.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-29-20 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-29-20, 07:42 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I may be an outlier here, but I think that interior looks horrid and will not age well both in color and design. Maybe the photo is bad and it'd match in person, but it seems like there are at least 4 different shades of pink salmon, watermelon, burnt sienna and burgundy on the dash face, sides of the center console, console cover, surround of the dash and stitching on both the dash and seats. And they all remind me of sun-faded Plymouth Volare burgundy interior colors.

Interior design is confused between trying to feel futuristic and steam punk. Drivers door trim should be down a skooch to align with the dash, maybe it's the picture vantage but camera seems to be located where the driver's head would be (or could be that's the vent which I'd constantly by trying to OCD align with the door trim, lol). The chrome chiclet buttons under the controls have the vibe of old 80's Onkyo tape deck buttons. And not sure it the tablet jammed into the dash also has touch screen capabilities, could be hard to reach located there but I generally don't like that design regardless of make.

Maybe it's somewhat better in another color but thumbs down for me on the inside of this ride.
I agree and wanted to say the same thing about the interior but I didn’t want to be the outlier. :-)
Old 10-29-20, 07:52 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the exterior design. The interior is very 'retro' in my eyes and not sure it'll age well once the 'newness' wears off. I need to see it in black or some other colors to really understand if it's just odd color combos with these marketing pics. But overall, GV80/70 are very promising!
Old 10-29-20, 11:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Overall the GV70 looks superb.

My only issues would be the sad lobster claw wheels and the C-pillar window which looks unfinished and belonging to another car

The best part about the GV70 is the interior. Simply outstanding. The infotainment screen actually looks like it's floating vs being tacked on. The vent design looks fluid. The temperature controls look so elegant from end to end, phasing into the traction control / downhill ascent buttons. My favorite thing though might be the color option. A light purple, wow wow wow. Major props to Genesis and Hyundai Corp.
Old 10-29-20, 12:21 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

It’s handsome outside but I don’t care for the interior. The styling of the interior is incongruous for a modern car
Old 10-29-20, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
lol, not seeing what you're seeing, but there's 2 example interiors shown in the photos, the 'regular' (mauve) and the 'sport' (red).
headlines and articles in the media though are raving about it all.

Cnet for example:
As we've come to expect from Genesis, the detailing looks absolutely exquisite -- you would never expect this interior to be in an "entry-level" model.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-29-20 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-29-20, 04:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Exterior from the rear reminds of a juiced up Mazda 3 hatch. Not loving the centre console buttons etc etc but I do think materials are nice.

Looks awful

Looks great.
Old 10-29-20, 07:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol, not seeing what you're seeing, but there's 2 example interiors shown in the photos, the 'regular' (mauve) and the 'sport' (red).
headlines and articles in the media though are raving about it all.

Cnet for example:
Really don't see it? As noted it could be a crappy picture but all it's sorts of out of sync beyond the design, (which subjectively of course I don't care for). I'm generally OK with different shades intentionally, but these are close so it smacks of wearing a blue blazer with blue slacks that don't quite match.

1's should match 2 (darker) and probably 3 which bleeds into an odd red. Trim's noted as 5 seem to match on wheel, seat and dash but the weird red band 4 doesn't seem to coordinate with anything.

Tape deck is self explanatory, the big = shows the alignment issue.

Old 10-29-20, 08:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the illustrated explanation I really think you're seeing things into that crappy image. I think you're seeing lots of different reds due to lighting and also the ambient lighting strips in there. No way they'd have lots of different shades. Your 'tape deck' point and alignment issues look fine to me.

of course the car will be offered with interiors in boring colors other than red.

Here's Alex on Auto's take with lots of photos shown in the video.

Quick Reply: 2022 Genesis GV70