Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Genesis GV70

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-20, 02:09 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
whats really bad is that now they use it in pretty cheap Hyundai models as well which is stupid.
But they don't? Only the GV70 and GV80 have that steering wheel.
Old 11-26-20, 02:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I sort of see a chainsaw with the weird HVAC part. I don’t quite get the rugby ball...maybe I just don’t see it.

This is a really nice classy steering wheel, I love the color

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-26-20 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 09:49 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

I think these are all the color options? We'll probably be seeing an announcement on the specs in the next couple weeks since these things are all over Korean roads right now.

For a car aimed at a younger audience, I'm surprised they aren't offering more vibrant colors.

Old 11-30-20, 10:13 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I think these are all the color options? We'll probably be seeing an announcement on the specs in the next couple weeks since these things are all over Korean roads right now.

For a car aimed at a younger audience, I'm surprised they aren't offering more vibrant colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVj6RTZxPg8
Well the Korean market doesn't really care about "vibrant colors" so... tough to make that push when the lead market doesn't want it. Even in the U.S., white and black will likely dominate the sales mix, followed by gray. Vibrant colors may elicit response in marketing, but very few customers put their money on one when it comes to decision time.
Old 11-30-20, 11:21 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pbm317
Well the Korean market doesn't really care about "vibrant colors" so... tough to make that push when the lead market doesn't want it.
I'm not buying that when Genesis already offers 18 colors (@0:59) on the G80 in Korea. And the G80 is supposed to be the more executive vehicle aimed at older business folks.

Old 11-30-20, 11:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

I'm not buying that when Genesis already offers 18 colors (@0:59) on the G80 in Korea. And the G80 is supposed to be the more executive vehicle aimed at older business folks.
It's easy to "offer" colors when that market is almost all custom, build to order. The semblance of options and luxury. Of those 18, I would hardly call any of those dynamic. And the U.S. further whittled that down to what looks like 10 for the G80.

And from all my experience in actually seeing cars on the streets in Korea, it's extremely rare to see a non Black/white vehicle on the road. Not sure if the new generation of Genesis products will change that, but it seems highly unlikely.

What are some cars that have the dynamic colors you think will make it more successful? X3's color palette is pretty abysmal, blacks, whites, grays, and a blue. GLC adds in a red on top of those.
Old 11-30-20, 12:00 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Outside of sports coupes and custom orders, you'd have a hard time finding any other vehicle that offers outlandish colors like the burnt orange and lime green on the G80. Obviously Genesis has to limit their color palette for the U.S. market to keep the price down, but for the SUV that's meant to be their biggest global volume seller, you would expect them to have more color options than the G80. Or at least more options than these muted hues of black and gray and blue.

One of the things Genesis is doing to make themselves standout from the Germans is offering more unique colors inside and out; you won't be finding blue, green, or purple leather inside any German car like you would a Genesis. I was hoping that philosophy would carry over to the GV70.

Even if everyone opts for the usual black-on-black, the fact that Genesis offers these options helps them with their brand identity. It's the small things that matter.
Old 11-30-20, 12:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

I see, you thought the video you posted represents ALL of the colors. It just seems to be the 7 colors that they happened to see in person. The debut photos used a purplish hue that isn't present in the video. The ones in Korea aren't fully sold units as of yet, it's part of their marketing push.

For about two months, beginning on October 29, Genesis will hold test drives of approximately 100 uncamouflaged GV70 SUVs that will be carried out across Korea for final testing before the official launch.

During the final test drive period, Genesis will also hold a “MY GENESIS” event, which will invite participants to take photos of GV70s on the road and post them on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtags #MyGenesis and #GV70. Genesis will select the best posts and offer the winners special benefits.
If you go look at the G80 Korea site, I think the colors you refer to as Burnt Orange and Lime Green, are also a bit more muted than that original video illustration depicted. Or maybe those didn't make the cut, as the site only shows 15.

https://www.genesis.com/kr/en/models...80/design.html
Old 11-30-20, 12:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaAihPp3iRY&t=59
what a fantastic promotional video!

as for the colors, they're classy but hardly 'vibrant'
Old 11-30-20, 01:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Wouldn’t you need a specific amount of volume to sell 18 different colours? In this case, genesis is doing a smart thing....the model needs to get off the ground in the USA...too many colours will complicate matters.
Old 11-30-20, 02:01 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pbm317
If you go look at the G80 Korea site, I think the colors you refer to as Burnt Orange and Lime Green, are also a bit more muted than that original video illustration depicted. Or maybe those didn't make the cut, as the site only shows 15.
The online configurator is missing some colors, like the lime green which is already on sale. Vibrant or not, you definitely won't be seeing these colors on your run of the mill 5 Series/A6/E-Class.

You're right about the purple on the GV70. As for all the color options on offer, guess we'll have to wait for the official announcement.
Old 11-30-20, 02:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

That green looks really good!
Old 11-30-20, 02:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The brown G80 looks like Autumn Shimmer from Lexus. Though BMW does have a lighter brown called Vermont Bronze Metallic. And the closest color to the green G80 for BMW is Manhattan Green Metallic. The X5 and X7 also offer a beautiful maroon color with Ametrin metallic. The 3-Series has a bunch of colors that 'pop' like Melbourne Red Metallic, Sunset Orange Metallic, Portimao Blue, and Blue Ridge Mountain metallic. But yes overall any automaker will predominantly make white, black, gray, and silver cars.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ar-colors.html
Old 11-30-20, 02:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The brown G80 looks like Autumn Shimmer from Lexus. Though BMW does have a lighter brown called Vermont Bronze Metallic. And the closest color to the green G80 for BMW is Manhattan Green Metallic. The X5 and X7 also offer a beautiful maroon color with Ametrin metallic. The 3-Series has a bunch of colors that 'pop' like Melbourne Red Metallic, Sunset Orange Metallic, Portimao Blue, and Blue Ridge Mountain metallic. But yes overall any automaker will predominantly make white, black, gray, and silver cars.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ar-colors.html
Crazy to think white is so up there.

I have always liked the way Lexus does their dark colours. Not sure why vibrant colours are wanted in such a segment

I can see why someone might want a yellow LC500 from a car collectors POV.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-30-20 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 03:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The brown G80 looks like Autumn Shimmer from Lexus.
Wasn't that color more or less discontinued after 2019? I can't find a single model that currently offers it.

And the closest color to the green G80 for BMW is Manhattan Green Metallic.
Looks more gunmetal with a tint of olive than the color on the G80.

The Nori Green Pearl on the LC500 might be the most stunning green color on the market, but it's only on the LC and UX.

Last edited by Motorola; 11-30-20 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 Genesis GV70