Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next AMG C63 to ditch V8 for hybrid four-pot

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 09:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Out of curiosity what is the last V8 you've driven or owned?
I’ve had 2 v8’s, my lexus gs400 which was quiet when i bought it but after all the mods because quite the noise monster but certainly sounded awesome. After that i had my exploder 4.6L v8 which was not really refined in sound but sure was reliable.

i’m half kidding about noisy engines the sound can still be pretty awesome, but even before EVs my fave sound was no sound.
Old 10-17-19, 09:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

crazy amount of power from a 4 banger
Old 10-17-19, 10:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Not sure what the reasoning is for this. They are doing something none of the buyers of those vehicles are asking for or wants and which will likely make the decision easy to just not get one. People who buy AMG cars want highly tuned V8's and V12's because they are special and the furthest thing from a engine that is in a econo car, they don't care about fuel economy, it is not a priority. Just because you can make as much power with a highly tuned 4 cyl as a V8 does not mean it is a good idea, there are other compromises when you add huge power to 4 cylinders.
Old 10-18-19, 01:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
crazy amount of power from a 4 banger
problem with these huge numbers from small engines is its tuned to within an inch of its life and has weak mod ability potential not even including the hybrid portion. With a big engine, the potential is only beginning.
Old 10-18-19, 07:01 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I have yet to find a 4 cylinder that I like the sound of. IMO one of the most important qualities that makes the C63 very unique. Not looking forward to this.

At least start with a 6 cylinder. Smh.
Agreed, but disagree with starting with a 6 cylinder. Should be a V8.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I’ve said on here (to much ridicule) that V8’s days are numbered. Lexus getting rid of the V8 on the LS was a shockwave. I know mustangs still offer them but the ecoboost 4 cylinder is almost as powerful these days. Software, computer modeling, and emissions regulations have changed everything.

and if you don’t like the sound of a screaming 4 banger, how do you like the sound of silence or slight whine of an electric?
Personally I can't stand the sound of a 4 cylinder but, more than that I can't stand the sound of an electric car. Why can't they just reduce the size of a V8???

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes Mercedes on the C63 AMG is losing 4-clyinders, but it is not losing power. The new Cadillac V's are losing power. There is another version of the CT5-V with the 4.2L Blackwing coming, but the damage has been done to Cadillac 'V'. Honestly had they simply called them the CT4 VSport and CT5 VSport, I would have 0 issues. Instead they turned their back and tarnished 16 years of V.

CT4-V 325 hp and 380 lb-ft vs ATS-V 464 hp and 445 lb-ft
CT5-V 355 hp and 400 lb-ft vs CTS-V 640 hp and 630 lb-ft

I love Cadillacs concepts. The Cadillac Sixteen (2003) had a 13.6L V16, never came to fruition, would have made a statement to German V12's. The Cadillac Converj (2009) was a gorgeous PHEV sport coupe - we got the expensive and lackluster ELR instead. The Cadillac Ciel (2011) was a gorgeous drop top convertible that commanded presence and had power with a TTV6 and hybrid system, never came to fruition. The Cadillac Elmiraj (2013) was a massive coupe (205 inches long) sporting a 4.5L TTV8 aimed squarely at the S-Class coupe. It also featured a pillar less hardtop profile last used in the 70's, didn't come to fruition. The Cadillac Escala (2016) was a stunning full-size sedan with your beloved Blackwing V8. We got the majorly watered down CT6 instead. I am hard on Cadillac because what they dream up is akin to their old 'Standard of the World' slogan, but what we get is 'ho-hum cars of the world'.

Bringing this back to Mercedes, the loss the of the V8 in the AMG C is like dipping their toe in the water of diluting the AMG image vs Cadillac V which dove head first with the CT4-V and CT5-V.

For the record, I'll miss the V8 dearly. I haven't experienced the new 4.0TT V8, but I have had the privilege of driving the C63 AMG with the 6.2 NA V8 for a few days and it sounded like a Howitzer cannon. Music to my ears
Don't buy an AMG just for the power, the sound of the car is a big factor as well.

Originally Posted by AZFTW
AMG is not totally about performance like others have said. It's about sound and that's like 90% of it. Extremely disappointing
Well summed up. Very disappointing.
Old 10-18-19, 07:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

Personally I can't stand the sound of a 4 cylinder but, more than that I can't stand the sound of an electric car. Why can't they just reduce the size of a V8???

Don't buy an AMG just for the power, the sound of the car is a big factor as well.

Well summed up. Very disappointing.
It should be a V8. But engine downsizing is happening. If they must, then why go all the way to 4 cylinders bypassing the 6?
Old 10-18-19, 07:27 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should be a V8. But engine downsizing is happening. If they must, then why go all the way to 4 cylinders bypassing the 6?
Why not just down size the V8, what is the difference between a 2L V8 and 4 cylinder engine emissions wise? I am not considering the cost element but, people who buy AMG already know they are paying a premium so I don't think that cost should really be a factor here.
Old 10-18-19, 07:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Not sure what the reasoning is for this.
Maybe you’ve heard of these things called governments and regulators and do-gooders who want to decide for you what fuel economy your car must get because of a so-called “climate emergency”.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
problem with these huge numbers from small engines is its tuned to within an inch of its life and has weak mod ability potential not even including the hybrid portion. With a big engine, the potential is only beginning.
Tons of articles on modern turbo engines that are VERY stout with amazing power. My car’s 3.3 twin turbo v6 is WAY more powerful and responsive than the 4.0 v8 or the 4.6 v8 i’ve had, AND gets much better fuel economy than both. It’s a win win. And i’ve not heard of any reliability issues, PLUS people are modding them.

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

Personally I can't stand the sound of a 4 cylinder but, more than that I can't stand the sound of an electric car.
I agree the sound of a v8 is awesome. A v10 and a v12 are amazing too so why stop at v8? It’s just what you’re used to and appreciate.

Why can't they just reduce the size of a V8???
because the mechanical overhead of a 2.0L V8 would be absurd.

Because they don’t need 6 to achieve their goals.
Old 10-18-19, 07:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

A Mercedes 2.0t 4-cyl that makes over 400hp. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 10-19-19, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
A Mercedes 2.0t 4-cyl that makes over 400hp. What could possibly go wrong?
maybe 20 years ago that would be a good question, but not today.
Old 10-19-19, 01:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

maybe 20 years ago that would be a good question, but not today.
Disagreeeeeeee. I bet this motor scores in the black in consumer reports after a year or so.

Over 200hp/liter? Is the block made of Kryptonite?

There's a local Benz shop near my house and the amount of newish ones (out of warranty) always there astounds me. Lots of S550s, etc. with the N/A 5.5.
Old 10-20-19, 12:35 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

oh well it was a good run... i've got my big under-stressed supercharged V8 assembled by Mr. Robert Feiler and no complaints (apart from the fuel economy but it's worth it lol)
Old 10-20-19, 01:03 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

I agree the sound of a v8 is awesome. A v10 and a v12 are amazing too so why stop at v8? It’s just what you’re used to and appreciate.
fitting a V12 into a C class would be quite tricky i imagine lol

also the reason you stop at a V8 is because it's the only type of engine that gives that muscle car rumble hot rod sound! the firing order of a cross-plane V8 with 4 to 1 exhaust headers results in 2 exhaust pulses simultaneously overlapping on a single side per cycle, which gives the classic blublublub sound... ferraris and such use a flat-plane crankshaft which gives perfectly even exhaust pulse spacing and makes a different sound (there's of course tradeoffs to this)

now what i don't get is why you can't just use a V8 with cylinder deactivation... i'm pretty sure the cadillac sixteen from like 15 years ago was mentioned in this thread, that had a V16 but could run on only 4 cylinders at a time, i don't see why a modern V8 couldn't do the same

oh and sorry but your 3.3T is not more responsive than the engine in your GS 400, more power and torque for sure but not more responsive... and especially not from idle or if you manually downshift before stepping on it
Old 10-20-19, 01:14 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

turbo V6s sound crap... the only really cool sounding V6 is the honda J35 when vtec kicks in yo, pretty much all others just make a noise

i heard a GLC 43 do a full acceleration through 1st and 2nd next to me the other day as it merged and it sounded ricey
Old 10-20-19, 02:23 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Tons of articles on modern turbo engines that are VERY stout with amazing power. My car’s 3.3 twin turbo v6 is WAY more powerful and responsive than the 4.0 v8 or the 4.6 v8 i’ve had, AND gets much better fuel economy than both. It’s a win win. And i’ve not heard of any reliability issues, PLUS people are modding them.
as ive explained it many times, if turbos were such a win win why werent they on every single car many years ago? Because it isnt really a win win. A low stressed V8 will always outlast these high strung turbos. Think a turbo V6 LS would make 1 million miles like the V8 one did?

Quick Reply: Next AMG C63 to ditch V8 for hybrid four-pot