Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3....America's next cult-car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 05:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you didn't respond to the more important point that is that driver did 8+ typical years of driving in a tesla and his battery life dropped a whopping 3%.

and model 's have been out there for what, 7 8 years now and i haven't heard of disastrous degradation. maybe you need more data, but obviously a lot of people are convinced at this point.
Originally Posted by geko29
I would disagree, since the Tesla folks invade every single car thread on this and several other (non-car-related) forums I frequent.

"What's the best reliable daily driver under $5k?" "You should really get a Model 3"

Anti-Tesla folks generally only threadcrap in response to Tesla posts.
There should be a permanent Telsa thread for all things and articles Tesla. IMO.
Old 10-22-19, 05:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

you're apparently the only one speculating on here. tesla model s has been out over 7 years. no battery issues reported that i've seen. i know people who have had them several years too... no noticeable degradation at all.
I don't believe this is possibly true. Also, Tesla warranties do not cover battery degradation.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-22-19 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-22-19, 06:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't believe this is possibly true. Also, Tesla warranties do not cover battery degradation.
If your Tesla battery degrades more than 30% within 8 years, its replaced under warranty.
Old 10-22-19, 07:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There should be a permanent Telsa thread for all things and articles Tesla. IMO.
you've made this point several times. i don't agree as tesla would STILL enter the conversation in other threads anyway and moderators would then have to decide which posts to move into the all things tesla thread which would be too much work. let's face it, tesla is revolutionary. in my small town, i probably saw 4 driving to an appointment today which is a LOT.

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Cult car? What is it? To me it would be the Chrysler PT Cruiser. Saw thousands of these in the early 2000's. Many clubs formed.
Yesterday I saw a Tesla Model S in person for the first time. Wow, What an eye catcher. It now is on my dream list Too bad it's so pricey.
i just moved your post here as it was in an unrelated thread (presumably accidentally), and quoted here so others see it. thanks.
Old 10-22-19, 09:18 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

you're apparently the only one speculating on here. tesla model s has been out over 7 years. no battery issues reported that i've seen. i know people who have had them several years too... no noticeable degradation at all.
There's the theory - then there's the practical.

Theory
1) Even when they are sitting around doing nothing, all batteries degrade due to side chemical reactions.
2) The faster the supercharging and the greater the frequency of supercharging, the greater the battery degradation.
3) The more fully a battery is fully discharged to 0%, and the more fully it is recharged to 100% - for maximum range - the greater the battery degradation.
In other words, if range is minimized, then battery longevity will be maximized.
4) The smaller the battery pack per vehicle [nee Model 3], the harder the smaller battery pack has to work to keep up with a larger battery pack [nee Model S], then the greater the smaller battery pack's degradation.

Practical
Be patient, wait and see as independent 3rd party data is released.

Presently, it is too early to call.
Never say that Model S has been out 7 years, because the bulk of Model S data [statistically significant sample numbers] is only 2 years old!
The Model S's that have been around for 7 years are too small in sample number, and therefore statistically insignificant.
Focus not on the years, but on adequate sample numbers.

Wait till the smaller Model 3's data with their smaller battery packs are released; smaller batteries must work harder - so you know what to expect.
I haven't seen any Model 3 data released, or you know of some you can post???
Old 10-22-19, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Gasoline range DOES reduce as cars age. Fuel economy degrades, thus so does range.

Batteries have two issues, one is their range degrades, and two is the speed at which they charge degrades. MANY examples online and on Youtube of Tesla owners with 200k+ miles and discussing their range loss and recharge speed loss.
Old 10-22-19, 11:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Gasoline range DOES reduce as cars age. Fuel economy degrades, thus so does range.

Batteries have two issues, one is their range degrades, and two is the speed at which they charge degrades. MANY examples online and on Youtube of Tesla owners with 200k+ miles and discussing their range loss and recharge speed loss.
I haven't seen those Teslas lose anywhere near 30%. Most lose 5-10% at most. Sure sample size is small but really, if you have the entire sample size saying the same thing, its usually a good predictor of the larger sample size to come. No way i'm keeping this car past 8 years though. By that time, EVs will have double the range and do 0-60 in 2 seconds
Old 10-22-19, 11:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I haven't seen those Teslas lose anywhere near 30%. Most lose 5-10% at most. Sure sample size is small but really, if you have the entire sample size saying the same thing, its usually a good predictor of the larger sample size to come. No way i'm keeping this car past 8 years though. By that time, EVs will have double the range and do 0-60 in 2 seconds
Thats been what ive seen too, nowhere near 30%
Old 10-22-19, 12:06 PM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... the spin machine is at full steam for this car. It's like Elon Musk's life depend on its success or he will wake-up all bloodied and tied-up in the trunk of a Cadillac driven by upstanding Chinese men on the way to a slaughterhouse.
Old 10-22-19, 01:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I haven't seen those Teslas lose anywhere near 30%. Most lose 5-10% at most. Sure sample size is small but really, if you have the entire sample size saying the same thing, its usually a good predictor of the larger sample size to come.
(moderator edited)

How do you know if battery degradation follows an inverse curve, or a negative sigmoidal curve with a reverse bend?
In fact, most batteries degrade with a negative sigmoidal curve with a reverse bend - that signifies a rapid fall after a certain point.
Maybe Tesla has come with a miracle lithium ion that has a simple inverse curve battery degradation similar to motor vehicle depreciation?
And what about waiting a few years for initial Model 3 data to be released, because its smaller battery pack must work much harder than Model S?

(moderator: graphs and giant photo of greta thunberg deleted)

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-22-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 01:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
... And what about waiting a few years for initial Model 3 data to be released, because its smaller battery pack must work much harder than Model S?
good idea, why don't you wait for a few years until the data you want is available so your graphing ability have data to use. until then, give it a rest.
Old 10-22-19, 01:59 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayek
Wow... the spin machine is at full steam for this car. It's like Elon Musk's life depend on its success or he will wake-up all bloodied and tied-up in the trunk of a Cadillac driven by upstanding Chinese men on the way to a slaughterhouse.
Lol, interesting details of the Musk kidnapping and subsequent torture and/or execution.
Old 10-22-19, 02:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

good idea, why don't you wait for a few years until the data you want is available so your graphing ability have data to use. until then, give it a rest.
That is exactly what I said in Post #50.
In theory we know batteries must degrade.
The practical will tell us how soon and by how much...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post10641424
Old 10-22-19, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Are we talking about a cult-car or a cult-battery in this thread?
Old 10-22-19, 02:46 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are we talking about a cult-car or a cult-battery in this thread?
Since the battery is a critical part of the cult car then yes even the screen is now a cult-screen.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3....America's next cult-car?