Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 03:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I know.

I'll take the extra power. By no means is the current 3.5 crappy.
Its not crappy but its also low tech compared to a lot of the other powertrains out there. Kia has the 3.3L turbo, Nissan has the variable compression turbo, BMW has the I4/I6 turbo, Audi has the 2.9L V6 turbo, Honda has the 1.5L turbo, etc... I can't understand why Toyota doesn't put its 3.5L turbo into other applications.
Old 10-30-19, 03:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve never really considered turbocharging to be high tech. I would not necessarily view a direct and port injected V6 that can run in Atkinson or Otto Cycles to be of lower tech than a direct injection only Otto cycle 6 cylinder with a turbo.
Old 10-30-19, 03:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its not crappy but its also low tech compared to a lot of the other powertrains out there. Kia has the 3.3L turbo, Nissan has the variable compression turbo, BMW has the I4/I6 turbo, Audi has the 2.9L V6 turbo, Honda has the 1.5L turbo, etc... I can't understand why Toyota doesn't put its 3.5L turbo into other applications.
Agreed it's low tech, but it's also indestructible and plenty potent still.

And yeah I agree, and I'm sure they will.
Old 10-30-19, 04:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,850 Likes on 2,409 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I can't understand why Toyota doesn't put its 3.5L turbo into other applications.
Cost? Otherwise can't think of a good reason.
Old 10-30-19, 04:16 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Cost? Otherwise can't think of a good reason.
Well, by not being competitive, they've pretty much spelled the death of most of their sedan lineup. GS dead. LS dead. IS dying. ES is an appliance for non-enthusiasts so its doing okay.
Old 10-30-19, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Agreed it's low tech, but it's also indestructible and plenty potent still.
Low tech is one reason (but not the only one) WHY it is indestructible.
Old 10-30-19, 05:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Low tech is one reason (but not the only one) WHY it is indestructible.
Precisely. Toyota's 3.5 is sort of like a modern day 3800 but not OHV.

But then again the V8 in my LS430 was high tech when new.
Old 10-30-19, 05:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Just because something is high tech doesn't mean it's unreliable. The 2L turbos from the Germans have been reliable and high tech for awhile now.
Old 10-30-19, 05:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Just because something is high tech doesn't mean it's unreliable. The 2L turbos from the Germans have been reliable and high tech for awhile now.
Would you rather take a Land Cruiser on a desert safari powered by a nice, big NA Toyota V8, or a G-Wagen with the ultra complex TTV8?
Old 10-30-19, 06:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Would you rather take a Land Cruiser on a desert safari powered by a nice, big NA Toyota V8, or a G-Wagen with the ultra complex TTV8?
Land Cruiser for sure. But I must point out the Land Cruiser comes with turbo diesel.
Old 10-30-19, 06:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I can't understand why Toyota doesn't put its 3.5L turbo into other applications.
Just my thought. It has to do with profits. A new engine in the IS line will not move the sales needle compared to where it was when the current gen debuted. Sedans are declining and I think there is no example anywhere of a multi gen model selling better late in the model cycle compared to when the gen model debuted or the model before it. Toyota is still making big profits on their sedans even though they are really decreasing in sales.
Old 10-30-19, 07:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just my thought. It has to do with profits. A new engine in the IS line will not move the sales needle compared to where it was when the current gen debuted. Sedans are declining and I think there is no example anywhere of a multi gen model selling better late in the model cycle compared to when the gen model debuted or the model before it. Toyota is still making big profits on their sedans even though they are really decreasing in sales.
It seems to me that they are degrading their brand in the long term to sustain high profit in the short term. Lexus is losing its reputation in building sporty cars with the younger demographic now. Let's not kid ourselves...the powertrain is woefully inadequate for sports sedans and coupes. They've really dropped the ball in this market segment. They nailed their core segment which is luxury SUVs but this myopic view is limiting their growth in the future.
Old 10-30-19, 07:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Land Cruiser for sure. But I must point out the Land Cruiser comes with turbo diesel.
Well, yeah. But it's a Toyota motor and a diesel at that.

Do you or does anyone know the specs on it?

It's a 4.5 liter V8 is all I know.
Old 10-30-19, 07:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, yeah. But it's a Toyota motor and a diesel at that.

Do you or does anyone know the specs on it?

It's a 4.5 liter V8 is all I know.
Nowhere as competitive as German or American Diesel engine. Debuted in 08, it is the first diesel V8 by Toyota.

Originally Posted by EZZ
It seems to me that they are degrading their brand in the long term to sustain high profit in the short term. .
With IS, maybe. But the Lexus LS with the new V6TT has not done anything for sales. Sedans slowing sales is the bigger issues I think. If the IS were to go away, Lexus would not hurt.
Old 10-30-19, 08:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Nowhere as competitive as German or American Diesel engine. Debuted in 08, it is the first diesel V8 by Toyota.With IS, maybe. But the Lexus LS with the new V6TT has not done anything for sales. Sedans slowing sales is the bigger issues I think. If the IS were to go away, Lexus would not hurt.
I disagree simply because the IS is a gateway product for the young. It's to bring in a younger demo. If it goes away, Lexus risks being the next caddy when all of its buyers die off. The UX and NX serve to provide this too but they don't cater to auto enthusiasts. The enthusiasts drive word of mouth sales for great products and strengthen brands.

A strategy deployed by Tesla was to win the enthusiast market by making the Model 3 very sporty which helped cater to the enthusiasts. They adopted the car and drove scale and brand. Now the car and brand are very common giving regular buyers confidence in the company enabling Tesla to offer the Model Y to win non-enthusiasts. Everyone knew crossovers were winning even when the Model 3 was revealed. It's likely that Tesla thought going too mainstream without establishing the brand was risky. I think they did a masterful job of finding the right demographic to strengthen their brand.

Quick Reply: Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New