Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 08:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I disagree simply because the IS is a gateway product for the young. It's to bring in a younger demo. If it goes away, Lexus risks being the next caddy when all of its buyers die off. The UX and NX serve to provide this too but they don't cater to auto enthusiasts. The enthusiasts drive word of mouth sales for great products and strengthen brands.

A strategy deployed by Tesla was to win the enthusiast market by making the Model 3 very sporty which helped cater to the enthusiasts. They adopted the car and drove scale and brand. Now the car and brand are very common giving regular buyers confidence in the company enabling Tesla to offer the Model Y to win non-enthusiasts. Everyone knew crossovers were winning even when the Model 3 was revealed. It's likely that Tesla thought going too mainstream without establishing the brand was risky. I think they did a masterful job of finding the right demographic to strengthen their brand.
You are not wrong that the IS is a gateway. I don’t think the IS would be as important to this Lexus gateway for the future. I don’t think the Tesla 3 has the same issues as other multi generation sedans. A IS EV would be a good idea.
Old 10-30-19, 08:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

speedkar9 was kind enough to post an Old vs New mechanical review and video of the Toyota Camry. Keep it on topic
Old 10-30-19, 09:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,850 Likes on 2,409 Posts

Kind enough? His vids are monetized the more views the more he makes.

Back on topic there are more than a few details on the new Camry that are troubling. Example 1 the front fender well is half open only the plastic liner keeps water and crud from being tossed into the engine bay, some does leak through anyway. The interior plastic is downright cheap feeling, cost savings or not try harder Toyota. The various stamped steel parts look poorly painted to me (I've looked at the car closely in person) I'm betting they will rust fairly quickly. The electric steering rack has the motor exposed not sure I like this design. As pointed out in the vid the engine ECU is under the hood and looks to be vulnerable in a crash it's gonna cost big money if that gets crunched, new ECU and possibly engine harness.

If you still want old school Toyota workmanship the only way to get it is buy something like a Land Cruiser or maybe 4Runner.
Old 10-30-19, 09:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
So? I don't see that as an issue to be concerned about, for three reasons. First, how much he makes from each click-view (if any) is his own business, not ours. Second, many of us here on Car Chat post YouTube and other videos each day on the forum.....whoever has the copyrights to those videos probably makes money with each click, and probably has a right to. Third, CL itself operates with money from sponsors....the expenses have to be met somehow.

If you still want old school Toyota workmanship the only way to get it is buy something like a Land Cruiser or maybe 4Runner.
^^^^ On this one, I will agree with you. With a couple of possible exceptions (and you just named two of them) Toyota, in general, did its best products in the 1990s.....Lexus, in the 1990s and early 2000s, up till about 2006 or so.
Old 10-31-19, 01:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Great post! I sort of agree.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-31-19 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 05:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Great post! I sort of agree.
This does not change anything. There is still effort involved to create this informative content. This thread is to discuss old vs new Camry, not EV talk which this thread was turning into.

Lexus2000 steered is back on track with his last comment, thanks
Old 10-31-19, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

on topic there are more than a few details on the new Camry that are troubling.

Example 1 the front fender well is half open only the plastic liner keeps water and crud from being tossed into the engine bay, some does leak through anyway. The interior plastic is downright cheap feeling, cost savings or not try harder Toyota.
Engine bays don’t have to be water tight.

as for interior materials, they’re actually much better than the prior couple generations of Camry, and compared to other cars in the segment are quite good.

Its not a Lexus.
Old 10-31-19, 09:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Engine bays don’t have to be water tight.
From the wheel well area they do or you get road salt contaminating everything.
Its not a Lexus.
The Camry used to be.
Old 10-31-19, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

From the wheel well area they do or you get road salt contaminating everything.
I'm sure Toyota engineers know what needs to be sealed and what doesn't.

The Camry used to be.
It really didnt.
Old 10-31-19, 10:58 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

It really didnt.
Gen 3 Camry had just about Lexus level fit and finish though, and very, very nice materials even the non-loaded ones.
Old 10-31-19, 10:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Right, Toyota never makes mistakes like sludge engines, oil burners, rusty frames. Gotta trust those infallible engineers.
It really didnt.
3gen Camry was designed as a Lexus first this is common knowledge.
Old 10-31-19, 11:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Gen 3 Camry had just about Lexus level fit and finish though, and very, very nice materials even the non-loaded ones.
Compared to say, an ES of the era. Compare the current gen Camry to an entry level Lexus now, an IS or NX...its very comparable. The bottom line is money is being spent on different things today than it was back then, and weight savings is a huge thing today where it wasnt an issue at all then. You're assuming the difference is "cost savings" but remember a modern Camry has standard PCS and radar cruise, LED headlights and so on and so forth. Cost is just being allocated to different areas.

Right, Toyota never makes mistakes like sludge engines, oil burners, rusty frames. Gotta trust those infallible engineers.
Sure, everybody makes mistakes but you can't argue that by and large they have always built well made very reliable vehicles.

What does that even mean? Everything was designed in the same place back then.
Old 10-31-19, 02:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What does that even mean? Everything was designed in the same place back then.
There was no such thing as a Lexus first then a Toyota. Toyota Motor Corp makes a product to a specific design or specification. The original Lexus LS was also badged as a Toyota Celsior, they are the same. Previous to Lexus, Toyota did, in fact, make premium products here and there, a Cressida with RWD and an inline 6 with options of twin-turbo/supercharger as well as turbo diesel were a thing. Supras with a turbo. Even Toyota Truck came with a turbo option. A Lexus SC was also known as a Soarer. The first truck/SUV 32V V8 for Toyota was not "made for Lexus" first...it was just made for anything in the Toyota/Lexus parts bin...

For some reason, some members on here get confused with their feelings of nostalgia.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-31-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-31-19, 02:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There was no such thing as a Lexus first. Toyota Motor Corp makes a product to a specific design or specification. The original Lexus LS was also badged as a Toyota Celsior, they are the same. Previous to Lexus, Toyota did in fact make premium products here and there, a Cressidia with 4WD and an inline 6 with options of twin-turbo/supercharger as well as turbo diesel were a thing. Supras with a turbo. Even Toyota Truck came with a turbo option.
Original LS was a "Lexus first", made/designed for the USA. But yes they slapped a Toyota badge on it over there eventually.

I understand that Japanese like wool better but I just can't swallow the Celsior/LS430s over there with cloth. It's hard to look at.
Old 10-31-19, 02:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Original LS was a "Lexus first", made/designed for the USA.
The LS400 had "Made by Toyota Corp" on the door jam

Quick Reply: Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New