Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-19, 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,963 Posts

The Aviator is way more differentiated from the Explorer than the Escalade is from the Tahoe.
Old 11-06-19, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am surprised you view it this way. I thought you would of thought otherwise. I view the Aviator as a top high end spec Explorer. Yes, lots of differences, but the guts are the same.
Why be surprised? You read my reviews regularly, and know what I write. The platform and drivetrain are the same...so are a few parts-bin pieces inside. The rest of the two vehicles are as different as Night and Day.

It’s like the Explorer is the building blocks of the Aviator. Like Tahoe is for Escalade. Like Camry is for ES as per this thread. I just can’t see vehicles like this not be developed side by side with shared access by engineers, planners etc.
Some of the development was by the same engineers. But, at the same time, the engineers have to follow management directives. And Lincoln has new management now. Gone are the days when the division produces cookie-cutter Fords with a little more glitz and trim on them....you can kiss those days good-bye. Lincoln, today, produces credible luxury vehicles....you yourself have commented favorably on them.
Old 11-06-19, 03:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why be surprised? You read my reviews regularly, and know what I write. The platform and drivetrain are the same...so are a few parts-bin pieces inside. The rest of the two vehicles are as different as Night and Day.

Some of the development was by the same engineers. But, at the same time, the engineers have to follow management directives. And Lincoln has new management now. Gone are the days when the division produces cookie-cutter Fords with a little more glitz and trim on them....you can kiss those days good-bye. Lincoln, today, produces credible luxury vehicles....you yourself have commented favorably on them.
I see it differently than you. I view it from a spectrum, so Explorer on the left, and the Aviator on the right, never severed. Both based on the CD6 platform, both sharing the same engines/powertrain etc, both have the same wheelbase. Underneath it all, very similar parts and methods of build. Both are built in the same Chicago Assembly plant. Where they differ to me is the body styling and materials inside, most of the parts and materials will be coming from the exact same part source. They are tuned slightly different in the suspension parts. So in other words, to me, the Aviator is a high Explorer, which has different sheetmetal and a different set of materials inside, tuning distinction as well, but at the of the day, all created by the same company. All the same principles would apply to the Camry/ES discussion in this type of thread.

Is there a designer who just works on the Aviator styling or interior design without regard to the Ford Explorer? Maybe, maybe not...but they still would report to Ford Corporate at the end of the day.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-06-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-06-19, 04:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I see it differently than you. I view it from a spectrum, so Explorer on the left, and the Aviator on the right, never severed. Both based on the CD6 platform, both sharing the same engines/powertrain etc, both have the same wheelbase. Underneath it all, very similar parts and methods of build. Both are built in the same Chicago Assembly plant. Where they differ to me is the body styling and materials inside, most of the parts and materials will be coming from the exact same part source. They are tuned slightly different in the suspension parts. So in other words, to me, the Aviator is a high Explorer, which has different sheetmetal and a different set of materials inside, tuning distinction as well, but at the of the day, all created by the same company. All the same principles would apply to the Camry/ES discussion in this type of thread.

Is there a designer who just works on the Aviator styling or interior design without regard to the Ford Explorer? Maybe, maybe not...but they still would report to Ford Corporate at the end of the day.
These are good points. The Explorer/Aviator comparison is similar to the Avalon/ES comparisons which have gone on for some time. They are similar but different and most likely appeal to a different consumer. Personally, I'd take the Aviator over an Explorer for a variety of reasons.
Old 11-06-19, 04:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
These are good points. The Explorer/Aviator comparison is similar to the Avalon/ES comparisons which have gone on for some time. They are similar but different and most likely appeal to a different consumer. Personally, I'd take the Aviator over an Explorer for a variety of reasons.
Thanks. I appreciate the support for my viewpoint. I would probably rather have the Aviator too
Old 11-06-19, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You make some valid points.....I don't entirely disagree with you. Most of the difference is indeed inside the body, cabin, materials, and sophistication/refinement. But, in the specific case of these two vehicles, that is a major difference...that's why I had to (respectfully) disagree with Bob on the Aviator being just an Explorer with more trim and equipment.

And, somehow, we all have gotten way off-topic on the old-vs.-new Camrys.....I'm surprised that the moderators haven't steered us back yet.
Old 11-06-19, 06:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You make some valid points.....I don't entirely disagree with you. Most of the difference is indeed inside the body, cabin, materials, and sophistication/refinement. But, in the specific case of these two vehicles, that is a major difference...that's why I had to (respectfully) disagree with Bob on the Aviator being just an Explorer with more trim and equipment.

And, somehow, we all have gotten way off-topic on the old-vs.-new Camrys.....I'm surprised that the moderators haven't steered us back yet.
I am happy we can see each other’s point of views I personally think the best discussion and most thought-provoking ideas and disagreements/agreements come when we do go off topic in a thread. Anyways, it was a pleasure chatting it up with you. Just my opinion

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-06-19 at 06:20 PM.