Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 06:47 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New

Here's a video comparison of the mechanicals of the new 8th generation vs the old 5th generation Camry:

Here's a glance under the engine bay of the new Camry.

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New-6yzer57.jpg

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New-9rhghdo.jpg

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New-xbuakhc.jpg

Here's what the underbody looks like when the plastic panel is removed:

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New-fbtyhu5.jpg

The power steering motor is mounted on the rack:

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New-64f5lgt.jpg

Its even got a built in air guide for cooling from underneath:

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New-e37lcup.jpg

This is where I think the new Camry isn't far from offering AWD. There's a huge space where the transfer case could sit, right where the passenger CV shaft exists the transmission housing:

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New-wb01i7k.jpg

The exhaust is routed in the center tunnel such that there's almost enough room for a driveshaft going down to the rear:

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New-it2qkke.jpg

The front suspension is typical McPherson Strut:

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New-ueofbtr.jpg

The rear is the new multi-link:

Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New-8paaslo.jpg

Which one do you guys prefer, the old or the new?
Old 10-28-19, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Which one do you guys prefer, the old or the new?
I just wish they still made the superb 3Gen (1992-1996) model. Although the interior wasn't very plush-looking, mechanically, IMO it was the best Camry ever built. Its road-manners and noise level/refinement was that of a luxury sedan.....for a family-sedan price, and its mechanicals were just about bulletproof. I still see a number of them running around my area, a quarter-of-a century or more later. They also made an interesting, though frumpy-looking, wagon version, with a double-rear-wiper, something I had never seen before....the wagons (and some of the Camry's build-quality) were dropped after 1996, for the 4Gen model.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-28-19 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 11:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Not an apples to apples comparison. One is a four cylinder, the other a V6.
Old 10-29-19, 12:48 AM
evident
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I just wish they still made the superb 3Gen (1992-1996) model. Although the interior wasn't very plush-looking, mechanically, IMO it was the best Camry ever built. Its road-manners and noise level/refinement was that of a luxury sedan.....for a family-sedan price, and its mechanicals were just about bulletproof. I still see a number of them running around my area, a quarter-of-a century or more later. They also made an interesting, though frumpy-looking, wagon version, with a double-rear-wiper, something I had never seen before....the wagons (and some of the Camry's build-quality) were dropped after 1996, for the 4Gen model.

my parents still drive theirs. 150K miles and going.
Old 10-29-19, 05:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Here's a video comparison of the mechanicals of the new 8th generation vs the old 5th generation Camry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEYRwHnvdac

[Moderator Edit: removed wall of quoted pics]
Great video. Very interesting.

Last edited by geko29; 10-29-19 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Removed 10 quoted inline images
Old 10-29-19, 07:02 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not an apples to apples comparison. One is a four cylinder, the other a V6.
I mentioned that in the video. The apples here being how technology has allowed the I4 to almost catch up the old V6's performance at 203HP vs 210HP respectively. The new Camry feels much faster than my old V6 Camry.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Great video. Very interesting.
Thank you
Old 10-29-19, 11:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 241 Likes on 203 Posts

Gen 3 Camrys were jewels. You could get an SE coupe with the 6 cylinder...with leather, etc....basically a Lexus SC lite.

Interior was of very high quality. 4 cylinder models absolutely dog slow, though. The V6 was lovely.
Old 10-30-19, 06:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,986 Posts

2 door Camry a Lexus SC lite? Okay lol.

That gen Camry was a nice vehicle compared to its peers at the time, but the current Camry is better in absolutely every way.
Old 10-30-19, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That gen Camry was a nice vehicle compared to its peers at the time, but the current Camry is better in absolutely every way.
Strongly disagree....and I have either reviewed or test-driven every version of the army since the 3 Gen. None of them have equalled the build quality or comfort.....though I'll admit that some of the newer interiors look a little plusher. If the 3Gen had a weak point, it was not enough trim inside.
Old 10-30-19, 06:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,986 Posts

That Camry is 25 years old at this point. The modern Camry has tons more technology, safety, performance, there’s just no comparison. The modern one is also well made and solid feeling, drives and rides well. I had one for 2 weeks as a rental.

I agree Toyota’s of that era were better made than they are today. That Gen 3 Camry was a great car when it was made but it’s from another era today. If they “still made it” nobody would want it.
Old 10-30-19, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Very well....I respect your opinion.
Old 10-30-19, 07:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,424 Posts

As probably the only person on this thread to actually OWN both a third gen Camry (a rare 1992 Japan made version SE V6 5 speed) and a current 2019 Camry (loaded 2019 XLE Hybrid) both bought new I guess I will weigh in.

The 3G Camry was an awesome car. Had surprisingly good handling and was fun to drive but still comfortable. For the time it’s interior was a great design and felt on par with the ES300 which I cross shopped heavily. I still wanted the electroluminescent gauges on the ES and preferred the ES hood/headlight shape but everything else had me buy the Camry. IMO, It was clearly a closer sibling to the ES than a mini SC though.

The current Camry is really technologically advanced and in some areas has more tech than my 2016 LS460L with all the safety stuff like PCS, BSM, rcta, adaptive cruise, adaptive LED, etc but even more with HUD and a birds eye camera feature. It rides great and is a well designed, logical and nice commuter car. I can regularly get more than 50 mpg, fits in smallish parking spaces and has a usable back seat. So far 5 months in it’s a great car.

I have no doubt the new Camry is safer from every aspect of its design (not just 10 airbags vs 1), is more advanced with WAY more bells and whistles etc. as you’d expect from nearly 20 years of advancements. The new one however doesn’t have the over the top solid quality feel the old Camry did and from memory I prefer the drive dynamics and ride of the old one. Granted it may be nostalgia and if I had them both here new in my driveway back to back I might have a different answer. And I am basing this on hybrid vs 3g SE trim, but I have driven the v6 version, es350 and Avalon extensively too.

Notwithstanding the tech, IMO the 3G was a better car new then vs new now. I agree with SW no one would buy it now due to all the advancements but that’s a different discussion.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-30-19 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-30-19, 07:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

As I think I've mentioned before, my folks had a 95 Camry, just like the blue one you posted. It was a wonderful car. They had a 1st gen (86), then a 2nd (89), and then the third gen. The 3rd gen was by far my favorite. They kept the 1995 Camry for 10 years before someone t-boned them and destroyed the car (they walked away injury free, thankfully). That car remains the longest time my parents have ever kept one car. They liked it that much.
Old 10-30-19, 07:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
As I think I've mentioned before, my folks had a 95 Camry, just like the blue one you posted. It was a wonderful car. They had a 1st gen (86), then a 2nd (89), and then the third gen. The 3rd gen was by far my favorite. They kept the 1995 Camry for 10 years before someone t-boned them and destroyed the car (they walked away injury free, thankfully). That car remains the longest time my parents have ever kept one car. They liked it that much.
My parents had two early gens as well! A 1st gen 1984 and then a 1991 2nd gen, both LE
Old 10-30-19, 07:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
My parents had two early gens as well! A 1st gen 1984 and then a 1991 2nd gen, both LE
Was 84 the first year of the Camry? I remember when they got the 86, it was the first year to have the center mounted brake light. I remember thinking the brake light in the window looked funny.

The 89 was great too, other than the wackadoodle front powered seat-belts.

Quick Reply: Toyota Camry Mechanical Review: Old vs New