Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Classic Mustang Screw-ups.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19 | 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Classic Mustang Screw-ups.

I've said before, in several posts, that I've seen more dumb things done on the road, and more kids and young adults hurt or killed, in high-powered Mustangs than in any other single vehicle.....even including Camaros and Challengers. This video gives you some idea why...although not every accident/incident in this video is necessarily the drivers' fault. But many of them clearly are.

In fact, although this involved a 90s-vintage Nissan 300ZX and not a Mustang,, some young guy spun one out trying to make a 90-degree bend at the end of a long driveway, going way too fast, hitting a dip in the road with the front end, bounced off a curb, and just missed me and a friend of mine walking right there on the sidewalk, about 25 or 30 feet from the point of impact. We immediately ran up to help, but the guy was apparently in a state of shock....he was beating his hand on the steering wheel and yelling how it was his Dad's new car (wouldn't want to be in his shoes when his dad found out). IMO, the car was totaled, even though it was new...too much damage to the frame, alloy wheels, and underpinnings.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-29-19 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-29-19 | 06:36 PM
Hoovey689

There are more Mustang's on the road than similar vehicles, so of course you will see more incidents in that vehicle than in others.
Old 10-29-19 | 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
There are more Mustang's on the road than similar vehicles, so of course you will see more incidents in that vehicle than in others.
Agreed on the numbers, but, even considering them, something about that car seems to invite aggressive driving and a lack of common sense.

What was funny (and ironic) on the incident I described above with the 300ZX is that, just as this Bozo wrecked his dad's brand-new one, me and my friend were taking about (possible) insurance rates on a new ZX....my friend, at the time, was interested in one, and this guy goes and wrecks one right in front of us.
Old 10-29-19 | 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And here's a young Mustang jock, trying out aftermarket turbos, that (I think) learned his lesson by being honest with the cop who stopped him...and the cop gave him a break.

Old 10-29-19 | 08:17 PM
Hoovey689

^^ that's not a 'screw-up'. He was data logging the car for an event in Dallas. Notice the roll-cage and parachute mention. He's pursuing a passion nbd.
Old 10-29-19 | 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^ that's not a 'screw-up'. He was data logging the car for an event in Dallas. Notice the roll-cage and parachute mention. He's pursuing a passion nbd.
Yes, unlike the first video, I wasn't refering to that as a screw-up. He was honest, and the cop gave him a break, even though he had violated number of different laws.

I have found, the few times I have been stopped, (it doesn't happen often, because I don't drive aggressively) that the better and more honest you treat the cop, the better he or she is likely to treat you.
Old 10-29-19 | 08:33 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, unlike the first video, I wasn't refering to that as a screw-up. He was honest, and the cop gave him a break, even though he had violated number of different laws.

I have found, the few times I have been stopped, (it doesn't happen often, because I don't drive aggressively) that the better and more honest you treat the cop, the better he or she is likely to treat you.
As your thread title is Classic Mustang Screw-ups, I fail to see why you felt you should post that then. Sort of irrelevant if he's not screwing-up
Old 10-29-19 | 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

As your thread title is Classic Mustang Screw-ups, I fail to see why you felt you should post that then. Sort of irrelevant if he's not screwing-up

Well, it was, and it wasn't. He broke a number of traffic laws on the road (and, in my state, anything over 80 MPH is automatically reckless driving), but was honest about it. That's more than can be said for a lot of scofflaws....he probably deserved a break.

.........And, as Jill likes to say.....I'm now moving on.
Old 10-30-19 | 06:25 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Old 10-30-19 | 06:18 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

sorry but going 140mph on a public highway is screwing up and is stupid ----whether he was ticketed or not.
Old 10-31-19 | 08:10 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by bagwell
sorry but going 140mph on a public highway is screwing up and is stupid ----whether he was ticketed or not.
A screw-up is an unintentional mistake, at least in the context of this thread. Sounds like the guy in the video above was doing it intentionally, so you can't really call it a screw-up.
Old 10-31-19 | 09:12 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Honesty goes a long way with police. People lie to their faces all day, so if you're honest & humble they let you off.

I couldn't imagine being a cop in a country where the media constantly accuses you of being the bad guy. It truly is a thankless job.
Old 10-31-19 | 09:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And here's a young Mustang jock, trying out aftermarket turbos, that (I think) learned his lesson by being honest with the cop who stopped him...and the cop gave him a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXqLhEWMBUg
A warning for going 140MPH? This pizzes me off because I have had several BS tickets in my life that didn't include going double the speed limit. I'm always nicer than I usually am to cops and I have a donation sticker to the police that doesn't do diddly squat.

I got a $230 ticket last year in bmfk Georgia for window tint....just passing through the one-exit town en route to Florida, not even speeding.

Last edited by AJT123; 10-31-19 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-31-19 | 05:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sm1ke
A screw-up is an unintentional mistake, at least in the context of this thread. Sounds like the guy in the video above was doing it intentionally, so you can't really call it a screw-up.
but if he would've had the car impounded then he'd be a screw-up right?
Old 11-01-19 | 02:17 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
depends on the car, road, and conditions

Quick Reply: Classic Mustang Screw-ups.