Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 3 Speed AUTO HVAC for Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 01:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default New 3 Speed AUTO HVAC for Lincoln

So a while ago I had made a thread about AUTO HVAC and do you like it or hate it. I recall it got quite heated. Anyways, I have always hated the AUTO mode for precisely the reason that the blower would just go off all crazy and annoy the hell out of me.

Well, Lincoln with their new Corsair has taken the AUTO mode to the next level. They now offer a 3-speed AUTO mode, so now there is a low blower mode (to minimize the noise), moderate mode, and an increased mode. No more going off like a space rocket when you get into the car anymore. I know there are always those members who think that auto manufacturers just want to screw customers and bean count everything, I am not one of them.

Here is a case of taking care of customers...a nice added little detail...some quiet luxury.
Old 11-04-19, 02:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I won't necessarily comment on this new system without having seen it. But, in general, AUTO functions are not for me. I do a better job myself, of getting the system to do what I want it to do, by using the HVAC the controls manually, mixing and/or combining features as needed.

And, by using the systems manually, that's how I spotted that defective temperature regulator in my Lacrosse that needed be replaced. That was a major piece of warranty work under the dash.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-19 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 02:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I've been using AUTO mode on our cars for years. No more fiddling around with the HVAC. I might adjust the TEMP up and down now and then as needed and that's it.

It's nice to see Lincoln adding a feature like this to the entry level Corsair vs. maybe just offering it on the Aviator or Navigator.
Old 11-04-19, 02:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've been using AUTO mode on our cars for years. No more fiddling around with the HVAC. I might adjust the TEMP up and down now and then as needed and that's it.

It's nice to see Lincoln adding a feature like this to the entry level Corsair vs. maybe just offering it on the Aviator or Navigator.
I think they just expect the Corsair to have better sales. The Navigator, particularly in high-zoot trim, is very expensive, and even the Aviator can run quite a lot of $$$$$ for what you get. The Corsair, particularly in the lower trim levels, is going to potentially appeal to a lot more people.
Old 11-04-19, 02:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2

Not sure if it on the higher models. But a three level set up is nice set up to please all parties.
Old 11-04-19, 02:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

On Lexus models on AUTO the lower you make the temperature the higher the fan speed, from my experience. Honestly I just manually adjust fan speed and temp, nbd to me. 3-speed auto on Lincoln is unique. I'll have to sample one.
Old 11-05-19, 12:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I won't necessarily comment on this new system without having seen it. But, in general, AUTO functions are not for me. I do a better job myself, of getting the system to do what I want it to do, by using the HVAC the controls manually, mixing and/or combining features as needed.

And, by using the systems manually, that's how I spotted that defective temperature regulator in my Lacrosse that needed be replaced. That was a major piece of warranty work under the dash.
If you’re doing everything manually, wouldn’t that make you the temperature regulator?
Old 11-05-19, 12:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I think they just expect the Corsair to have better sales. The Navigator, particularly in high-zoot trim, is very expensive, and even the Aviator can run quite a lot of $$$$$ for what you get. The Corsair, particularly in the lower trim levels, is going to potentially appeal to a lot more people.
you’re saying they added this new feature to the corsair because they expect to sell more of them. I don’t understand. If that follows why not add EVERY feature to the corsair?

isn’t it more likely that navigator and aviator were already baked for production before this feature was in the design pipeline, but they could add it to corsair, probably with little cost and add something unique? I assume if it’s well received it will appear on the other models too.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
On Lexus models on AUTO the lower you make the temperature the higher the fan speed, from my experience.
Here we go again... no, auto fan speed is proportional to the difference in temperature from what you set it to and what the current inside temperature is. There’s a current temp and a target temp. A bit like a highway entrance ramp and accelerating to match speed of traffic flow. Now this lincoln system ‘3 level’ is basically just varying the acceleration. It can get you to the destination temperature, slow, normal, or quick. The resulting less or more fan noise and air speed is the result.

the only other variable is the temperature of the air they’re introducing. If they pumped in air in a huge quantities that’s slightly cooler or warmer than current temp, it will make less of a difference than if it pumped in arctic-cold or hellish-hot air.

Honestly I just manually adjust fan speed and temp, nbd to me.
You’re in California. QED. but sersiously if your car has been sitting in direct sun and you get in and want a ‘normal’ temperature to you, auto is going to see a large discrepency in current and target temps, but there’s limits to both fan speed and how cold the air can be so it just goes ‘full blast’.

cracks me up when i see people setting the temperature lower to min/cold/60 etc. thinking this will make the car cool quicker. Same in opposite direction... if it’s freezing out, setting car to 85 won’t heat the car up any quicker than 70.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-05-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-05-19, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you’re saying they added this new feature to the corsair because they expect to sell more of them. I don’t understand. If that follows why not add EVERY feature to the corsair?

isn’t it more likely that navigator and aviator were already baked for production before this feature was in the design pipeline, but they could add it to corsair, probably with little cost and add something unique? I assume if it’s well received it will appear on the other models too.
OK, I agree. You have a point. Sorry....I could have clarified or explained that a little better. Ford, however, does have a tendency to sometimes try out new features on vehicles that are not top-of-the-line. There are a number of examples. Decades ago, for instance, the sequential-turn-signals in the rear appeared on the Ford Thunderbird/Mercury Cougar (and later, the Mustang)...but not on Lincoln models, which have never adapted them, even today. A more recent example was when Ford introduced the sweep-foot-under rear-bumper-feature to automatically open the rear hatch on the Ford Escape Titanium model...this feature, for awhile (an excellent one, IMO), , was only found on the Titanium version of the Escape, and not on larger and more expensive Explorers or Expeditions. Another relatively recent example was the adjustable-colors for the dash lights the Mustang....that did not find its way into more expensive Ford products, ether.

cracks me up when i see people setting the temperature lower to min/cold/60 etc. thinking this will make the car cool quicker. Same in opposite direction... if it’s freezing out, setting car to 85 won’t heat the car up any quicker than 70.
Sometimes it does warm or cool the vehicle faster. it depends on how the warm-air control is configured. For instance, on some vehicles (my Lacrosse is one of them), the higher or lower the temperature you set the heat-**** by rotating it, the more hot air or cold air flows out of the vents. Set it up to max heat (around 85 degrees or so, and more hot air does come out of the vents quicker).You can also, in some vehicles, sync the left and right-hand temperature control if it has a dual-system.

Now, as in some vehicles, if the heat-control is not specific-temperature-linked, then, yes, you are correct....bu the same principle applies. You get more or less hot air by where you set the **** or fan-speed.

(Please.....no jokes about hot air and my comments LOL )

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-19 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-05-19, 11:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So a while ago I had made a thread about AUTO HVAC and do you like it or hate it. I recall it got quite heated. Anyways, I have always hated the AUTO mode for precisely the reason that the blower would just go off all crazy and annoy the hell out of me.

Well, Lincoln with their new Corsair has taken the AUTO mode to the next level. They now offer a 3-speed AUTO mode, so now there is a low blower mode (to minimize the noise), moderate mode, and an increased mode. No more going off like a space rocket when you get into the car anymore. I know there are always those members who think that auto manufacturers just want to screw customers and bean count everything, I am not one of them.

Here is a case of taking care of customers...a nice added little detail...some quiet luxury.
All they did is adopt a feature that's been on the market for years with other manufactures. My '14 328 has the ability to control the max fan speed on auto climate control--5 levels.
Old 11-05-19, 11:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes it does warm or cool the vehicle faster. it depends on how the warm-air control is configured.
No, if using climate control, it depends on the difference between actual temperature and target temperature. There’s limits to how much and at what temperature the air comes from the vents. So if it’s 90 in the car and you want 70, setting it to 60 will NOT make it cool more quickly, because whether it’s a 20 or 30 degree swing you request, it’ll blast cold air as far as it can. Now as it approaches the target temp it will slow. But since almost no one wants their car at 60, setting it to that to get it to 70 ‘quicker’ is pointless.
Old 11-05-19, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, if using climate control, it depends on the difference between actual temperature and target temperature. There’s limits to how much and at what temperature the air comes from the vents. So if it’s 90 in the car and you want 70, setting it to 60 will NOT make it cool more quickly, because whether it’s a 20 or 30 degree swing you request, it’ll blast cold air as far as it can. Now as it approaches the target temp it will slow. But since almost no one wants their car at 60, setting it to that to get it to 70 ‘quicker’ is pointless.

All I can do is describe what my experience has been, with most of the vehicles I've owned.
Old 11-05-19, 12:41 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
All they did is adopt a feature that's been on the market for years with other manufactures. My '14 328 has the ability to control the max fan speed on auto climate control--5 levels.
Yep, and it was in the prior two generations as well. My 2000 E46 323i worked this way, as does my 2011 E90 335d.

So congratulations Lincoln on introducing a feature your competitors have had for a quarter century.
Old 11-05-19, 01:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Yes I've had this argument since my first car when I was 16 when my friends would jack the heat up to 90 with a freezing cold car...pointless. This drives me crazy also. Put it on auto and forget it. In my house it's split. Every time I use the other car it's set to some stupid manual setting and I have to hit auto.

We went over the 28 vent thing in the LC/LX.....LX is going to be spouse's car. I really don't know how I'm gonna deal with a vehicle with 28 vents and a true 4 zone system with everything manually set every time I get in it. I'm not OCD or anything (far from it), but what a waste.

The whole Lincoln thing, ok that's cool but I would probably use the max mode so really pointless for me....whatever warms and cools me the fastest is what I want.
Old 11-05-19, 01:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yes I've had this argument since my first car when I was 16 when my friends would jack the heat up to 90 with a freezing cold car...pointless. This drives me crazy also. Put it on auto and forget it. In my house it's split. Every time I use the other car it's set to some stupid manual setting and I have to hit auto.
Think about it from a manual point of perspective. If I am in my underground garage, you select either LO or HI or any temp in between, if I select HI and the set speed to high, it will heat the interior faster.

It is interesting to note, if left in AUTO mode and set to HI, the fan speed will not immediately go out of the low fan setting.

All I can do is describe what my experience has been, with most of the vehicles I've owned.
I think you are correct.

Set it up to max heat (around 85 degrees or so, and more hot air does come out of the vents quicker).
This seems logical.

Originally Posted by tex2670
That appears to the cast. thanks for the post

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-05-19 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: New 3 Speed AUTO HVAC for Lincoln