Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Ford Escape impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19 | 02:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2020 Ford Escape impressions

What a tremendous effort by Ford!

Much smaller looking in person. But it looks fantastic. Kinda Porsche like in the front end where the lights seem flat on the hood and some resemblance to a EV suv from Tesla . I like the letters on the rear.

Dare I say I like it better than a RAV4.

Just love the interior design. The minimal feel is just right.

Again, I don’t want to beat this theme to death, but this vehicle seems to be a far better alternative to a sedan for the price point.

A winner for Ford.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-09-19 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-09-19 | 02:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Did you drive an Escape? I like the looks of them, in the upper level trims. Ford sells a lot of them. 194k sold in the U.S. thru September, I think outside of the F Series trucks it's Ford best selling vehicle.
Old 11-09-19 | 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That, right there, is one feather in its cap. If you are a American-registered company (as Ford is)....build your products here if you want to sell them here.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just love the interior design.

Here....since you didn't post any shots of the interior, I'll add some.

I agree that, for something in this class, it looks nice, but I can do without the rotary shifter.

If only Ford had done the 2020 Explorer interior like that. The new Explorer is a mess inside.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-09-19 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-09-19 | 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Did you drive an Escape? I like the looks of them, in the upper level trims. Ford sells a lot of them. 194k sold in the U.S. thru September, I think outside of the F Series trucks it's Ford best selling vehicle.

It's not so much just the Escape itself as the fact that this class of vehicle, in general (compact C-sized crossover), has become extremely popular. As Jill says, many buyers are giving up sedans for them.
Old 11-09-19 | 03:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's not so much just the Escape itself as the fact that this class of vehicle, in general (compact C-sized crossover), has become extremely popular. As Jill says, many buyers are giving up sedans for them.
I am aware of that.
Old 11-09-19 | 03:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Nah. We just quickly looked. Dealing with salespersons when I have no intention of buying a car is not something I really like to do. I like this better than the Chevy Equinox. I also like it the design better than the RAV.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-09-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-09-19 | 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I also like it the design better than the RAV.
If you think the new Escape is nice, just wait till you see its upscale brother, the Lincoln Corsair (which is done on the same platform)....although I think you said, in a previous thread, that you may have already seen it.

The Corsair is nice enough that it may wean even me off sedans LOL.
Old 11-09-19 | 08:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Personally I really dislike the exterior styling of the new Escapes, they look weird to me...kind of like a big car without looking crossover or SUVish. Headlights are too big...they kind of look like frogs. I do like the interior. RAV is better looking IMHO.
Old 11-09-19 | 11:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Not impressed thus far. Downmarket interior and soft, carlike exterior does the traditional Escape no favors. I feel Ford completely wussed out here.
Old 11-10-19 | 04:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Dare I say I like it better than a RAV4.
not surprised. Rav4 can best be described as ‘fake rugged’.
Old 11-10-19 | 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not surprised. Rav4 can best be described as ‘fake rugged’.
Frugged.
Old 11-10-19 | 08:19 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Ford's plan appears to have the Escape replace both the previous Escape and the Fusion sedan. To this end, the styling is softer and it is slightly lower than before. The new Escape is actually quite roomy inside for this class. There is a "rugged" SUV about this size coming which will be much more offroad focused. The base Escape interiors are pretty plain, but they get much better on the high end version which even include a HUD that is visible with polarized sunglasses.
Old 11-10-19 | 08:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The base Escape interiors are pretty plain, but they get much better on the high end version which even include a HUD that is visible with polarized sunglasses.
This is always the case. Have you seen how bad a base RAV4 is? The centre screen is BAD. All done on purpose.

Ford's plan appears to have the Escape replace both the previous Escape and the Fusion sedan. To this end, the styling is softer and it is slightly lower than before. The new Escape is actually quite roomy inside for this class. .
Yes, the plan to replace the Fusion and the Focus is the new Escape. It is roomy. It’s well designed. When I say it looks small, I mean it looks small for a cross over but large for a compact car replacement
Old 11-10-19 | 12:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I’m sure it will do well though personally I find it quite awkward and unattractive.
Old 11-10-19 | 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ford's plan appears to have the Escape replace both the previous Escape and the Fusion sedan.
Not sure, though, if that is going to work. The more likely beneficiaries from dropping the Fusion (and if GM drops the Malibu and Regal) will be the Camry, Accord, Altima, Sonata, and Optima.

There is a "rugged" SUV about this size coming which will be much more offroad focused.
......the Bronco, of course. We have been discussing it for many months.

Quick Reply: 2020 Ford Escape impressions