Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend announced 2020 Car/SUV/Truck of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As for "who remembers the Veracruz or Borrego", they've got it right on the money. Most consumers have no idea what those vehicles were
I guess that doesn't include most of us here on Car Chat.

(they were awful)

I have to disagree on one thing.......both were quite well-built, though they didn't steer or handle as well as newer Koean SUVs.
Old 11-19-19, 07:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I guess that doesn't include most of us here on Car Chat.
Saying "most people in the country" don't remember those cars fits right in with "most people on Car Chat DO remember them". Car Chat community is a very very very small segment of the population.
Old 11-19-19, 07:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Speculation in the way the new Vette was designed indicates there is a new EV version coming. I can't remember what it was or who said, but something tipped them off. Something to do with the steering or something
Something about room in the "frunk" near the front wheels that they speculate where electric motors will go.

Bleh.
Old 11-19-19, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Saying "most people in the country" don't remember those cars fits right in with "most people on Car Chat DO remember them". Car Chat community is a very very very small segment of the population.
True, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the country is exactly living in a cave. With today's Internet and 24/7 information cycles, it's not difficult to know when new vehicles are introduced.
Old 11-19-19, 07:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Exactly...........
Old 11-19-19, 08:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...8565628&src=nl

We just happen to do, so C&D. I'm sorry, but we are not a bunch of idiots. In fact, I did a test-drive and review of the Veracruz. Nice vehicle inside and out (excellent fit/finish and materials) but it drove and steered like a school bus.

Though the Borrego (Mojave) was not as plush inside or out as the Veracruz, it had durable body-on-frame construction, and was solidly built.
.Most people do not live in the past. Nobody remembers the Borrego or the Veracruz. Nobody recalls the steering etc. Body on frame? Are you kidding me, nobody knows. They were fine for the time, but they did not succeed. The new Telluride and Pallisade are remarkable vehicles and they are doing very well. Finally Hyundai has figured out something and they are going their own way with these two models instead of following the crowd. The larger 3.8 engine is just one example, completely out of sync with the rest of the crowd. The more upright posture is another. They also have tremendous success with the media . Personally they both do nothing for me but for most people in the desired segment, or for those who like Hyundai or KIA, they hit the right sweet spots. These vehicles allow Hyundai to push up their price points. These are good vehicles, made even better that the KIa is made in the USA. What to watch for soon is how they sell when the new Highlander hits dealers. Can Hyundai hit market share increases and help the brand grow? Market share stuff is the sign of strategic success. Enjoy them for what they are. They are a blockbuster hit. Time to move on from the past.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-19-19 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Highlander will capture a big market because....its a Highlander. Spec for spec its going to be significantly more money than a Telluride or Palisade so they should continue to do well.
Old 11-19-19, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

.Most people do not live in the past. Nobody remembers the Borrego or the Veracruz. Nobody recalls the steering etc. Body on frame? Are you kidding me, nobody knows.
You seem to.

They were fine for the time, but they did not succeed.
I did not say (or imply) anything different. In fact, I was the one that pointed out that they did not sell in large numbers....particularly the Borrego.
Old 11-19-19, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Highlander will capture a big market because....its a Highlander. Spec for spec its going to be significantly more money than a Telluride or Palisade so they should continue to do well.
The new Highlander vs. the two Koreans is going to be an interesting match-up.
Old 11-19-19, 11:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The Corvette is cool, but it's just another vehicle in a long line of fantasy cars MT and other mags continue to push each month. I think it was last issue, every single car or SUV MT reviewed and talked about was well over $60k. By far, the worst issue of this chronic problem. Prices just about no one can afford in real life. Do people really get that excited over cars they cannot afford? Do people really sit there and drool over $100k cars over the toilet? I think it was interesting the first time we read about these exotics, decades ago. I want to know and read about cars I can potentially own. There would be practical value with that. I am sure the majority of America would agree, but I guess not. MT is just getting worse and worse with these unrealistic reviews.
Old 11-20-19, 12:10 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Corvette is cool, but it's just another vehicle in a long line of fantasy cars MT and other mags continue to push each month. I think it was last issue, every single car or SUV MT reviewed and talked about was well over $60k. By far, the worst issue of this chronic problem. Prices just about no one can afford in real life. Do people really get that excited over cars they cannot afford? Do people really sit there and drool over $100k cars over the toilet? I think it was interesting the first time we read about these exotics, decades ago. I want to know and read about cars I can potentially own. There would be practical value with that. I am sure the majority of America would agree, but I guess not. MT is just getting worse and worse with these unrealistic reviews.
Do you have any idea how many $70-100k GM SUVs I see every single time I go out? It's almost ridiculous.

C8 will sell.
Old 11-20-19, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

R&T (Road and Track), not MT, was probably the publication that, more than any other, started dwelling, every month, on expensive and/or exotic vehicles that the average Joe, across the country, would never be buying. AJT123 has a point, however, that $70K+ full-size SUVs and other vehicles are commonly seen on the roads every day, particularly where I live and its affluence.
Old 11-20-19, 06:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

You seem to.
Not sure you are correct. we have vehicles that span build dates in there different decades. But I think this has more to do with your belief that people don’t view Hyundai in a better light than they did in the past, that I disagree. People look at Hyundai from a positive perspective. Sone care for Hyundai and some don’t. I think you just have a a difficult time with those who just don’t care for the brand, but that is a differently feeling that someone who does not view them as my better than the past.

I did not say (or imply) anything different. In fact, I was the one that pointed out that they did not sell in large numbers....particularly the Borrego.
This thread really is supposed to be a celebration about the SOTY award for Telluride.
Old 11-20-19, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure you are correct. we have vehicles that span build dates in there different decades. But I think this has more to do with your belief that people don’t view Hyundai in a better light than they did in the past, that I disagree. People look at Hyundai from a positive perspective. Sone care for Hyundai and some don’t. I think you just have a a difficult time with those who just don’t care for the brand, but that is a differently feeling that someone who does not view them as my better than the past.
Well, its true that perhaps neither of us can judge. You have not dealt with some of the people I have, and, of course, vice-versa.

This thread really is supposed to be a celebration about the SOTY award for Telluride.
The SOTY award for the Telluride is certainly not undeserved, but there are, IMO, also several other worthy 2020 contenders, which I listed earlier...particularly from Lincoln. I suspect that next year, the award for the 2021 SOTY may (?) go to the upcoming Bronco, but, without seeing the vehicle itself, it's too early to make an out-and-out prediction.
Old 11-20-19, 06:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Corvette is absolutely not a fantasy car, its attainability is part of what makes it so exciting.

Its an enthusiast magazine...not a consumers magazine. Do people sit there and drool over cars they can't afford? Are you a car enthusiast? Did you have posters of cars in your room when you were a kid? What did you have posters of, certified pre-owned Hyundai Elantras?!? Did you sit there at night and say "hmm, what a sensible purchase that will be"

I can't believe you're even asking this question LOL

Its Motor Trend, not Consumer Reports or Budget Wheels Monthly

Quick Reply: Motortrend announced 2020 Car/SUV/Truck of the Year