Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend announced 2020 Car/SUV/Truck of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 10:13 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Motortrend announced 2020 Car/SUV/Truck of the Year

The Telluride won SUV of the year which is a great win for them (note the Hyundai Palisade is the mechanical twin, did not rank as high on design which is purely subjective)
The Corvette, which we won't be able to buy/see for a while due to the strike, is CAR of the year.
And the Ram Heavy Duty is Truck of the Year

For what its worth, I've tried to test drive a Telluride SX/Palisade Limited for about 2 weeks and they are selling every unit they have.
Old 11-19-19, 10:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats to the Corvette. Easily a no brainer that it would win. It has some wild accolades going for it. Impressive.

Interesting they made this comment bellow, I wonder if GM removed any ouch of longevity and reliability with this new model.

To keep the price as low as Chevy has promised, you'd think corners would have to be cut,
Old 11-19-19, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Congrats to the Corvette. Easily a no brainer that it would win. It has some wild accolades going for it. Impressive.
‘interesting’ you give praise to the corvette yet no praise to the telluride which has won accolades all over. i would say it was also ‘easily a no brainer that it would win’.
Old 11-19-19, 11:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
‘interesting’ you give praise to the corvette yet no praise to the telluride which has won accolades all over. i would say it was also ‘easily a no brainer that it would win’.
Only had time to read some of the Corvette write up. Didn’t get to the end of it
Old 11-19-19, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree that the 'Vette was a no-brainer for COTY, but, for SUV, it could have been a multi-toss-up between the Telluride/Palisade, Escape, Aviator, and Corsair. I would have probably (narrowly) given it to the Corsair....though I know that a lot of people are probably more impressed with the Aviator.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-19 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 12:27 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
For what its worth, I've tried to test drive a Telluride SX/Palisade Limited for about 2 weeks and they are selling every unit they have.
really? geez I think its a tacky, ugly thing.....but to each their own.
Old 11-19-19, 12:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Only had time to read some of the Corvette write up. Didn’t get to the end of it
well it was the first line of the OP in this thread.
Old 11-19-19, 12:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
for SUV, it could have been a multi-toss-up between the Telluride/Palisade, Escape, Aviator, and Corsair. I would have probably (narrowly) given it to the Corsair....though I know that a lot of people are probably more impressed with the Aviator.
good points, the corsair and aviator are both impressive. i just checked the lincoln website on the corsair, and i have to say (as someone who does websites for a living) it's a great presentation and a great vehicle... https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/corsair/

it's stunning to see the ford finally gets it that the belt lines on their last gen explorer, hideous ecosport, and others were WAAAAAAAY too high, and all these new fords/lincolns look positively svelte by comparison. the navigator though is still old school 'bus'-like... but part of that is that i believe it's body on frame - probably essentially a heavily modified f-150 chassis.

Originally Posted by bagwell
really? geez I think its a tacky, ugly thing.....but to each their own.
the telluride and palisade cousins are selling in decent numbers so obviously thousands each month don't agree with you.

my only nit on the telluride is that the tires are laughably narrow.
Old 11-19-19, 12:54 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The new Corvette is remarkable. Just 500hp, a small-block pushrod V8 with two valves per cylinder, and yet amazing acceleration.

It's almost as if the Corvette design team is intentionally giving the finger to the DOHC/4-valve/pressurized engine designers, at least for the initial powertrains.

Last edited by riredale; 11-19-19 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 12:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
The new Corvette is remarkable. Just 500hp, a small-block pushrod V8 with two valves per cylinder, and yet amazing performance.

It's almost as if the Corvette design team is intentionally giving the finger to the DOHC/4-valve/pressurized engine designers.
Speculation in the way the new Vette was designed indicates there is a new EV version coming. I can't remember what it was or who said, but something tipped them off. Something to do with the steering or something
Old 11-19-19, 02:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

good points, the corsair and aviator are both impressive. i just checked the lincoln website on the corsair, and i have to say (as someone who does websites for a living) it's a great presentation and a great vehicle... https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/corsair/

it's stunning to see the ford finally gets it that the belt lines on their last gen explorer, hideous ecosport, and others were WAAAAAAAY too high, and all these new fords/lincolns look positively svelte by comparison. the navigator though is still old school 'bus'-like... but part of that is that i believe it's body on frame - probably essentially a heavily modified f-150 chassis.

the telluride and palisade cousins are selling in decent numbers so obviously thousands each month don't agree with you.

my only nit on the telluride is that the tires are laughably narrow.
C&D just posted the results of their comparison test of five three row SUV's. Link below.

The order of finish was, 1.Telluride 2. Palisade 3. CX-9 4. Explorer 5. Enclave.

One of the comments about the Telluride was "The skinny tires are so hard not to stare at."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...8565628&src=nl
Old 11-19-19, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by article
Hyundai and Kia have built three-row crossovers before, even big ones, but who besides us remembers the Veracruz and the Borrego?
We just happen to do, so C&D. I'm sorry, but we are not a bunch of idiots. In fact, I did a test-drive and review of the Veracruz. Nice vehicle inside and out (excellent fit/finish and materials) but it drove and steered like a school bus.

Though the Borrego (Mojave) was not as plush inside or out as the Veracruz, it had durable body-on-frame construction, and was solidly built.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-19 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 03:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

We just happen to do, so C&D. I'm sorry, but we are not a bunch of idiots. In fact, I did a test-drive and review of the Veracruz. Nice vehicle inside and out (excellent fit/finish and materials) but it drove and steered like a school bus.

Though the Borrego (Mojave) was not as plush inside or out as the Veracruz, it had durable body-on-frame construction, and was solidly built.
I think they were being sarcastic. Probably nothing to get too worked up over.
Old 11-19-19, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think they were being sarcastic. Probably nothing to get too worked up over.
It's true, though, that neither the Veracruz nor Borrego were very popular in the U.S. The Santa Fe, however, one size under the Veracruz, sold like hotcakes.....and continues to do very well.

Also working against the Borrego was the fact that, when it was introduced, the SUV market was shifting away from BOF/truck-based SUVs to unibody/car-based ones. My guess, though, is that when the new Ford Bronco debuts in the spring, it will start to reverse some of that trend.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-19 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 06:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

No surprises and all deserved IMO.

As for "who remembers the Veracruz or Borrego", they've got it right on the money. Most consumers have no idea what those vehicles were (they were awful)

Quick Reply: Motortrend announced 2020 Car/SUV/Truck of the Year