Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1986: Back when the Taurus Ruled America

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-19, 07:44 AM
robm
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread brings back many memories. I had a 1989 SHO for about 12 years. It was my first "family" car, purchased new in 1990. I really enjoyed that car. Modded it with Konis, springs, exhaust, extrude honed intake, ECU tune, Baer brakes, wheels, tires, rod-shifter assembly, etc.
Old 12-06-19, 07:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've never been much of a Ford fan, but this talk of the SHO reminds me of one of my favorite Fords of that era, the Thunderbird Super Coupe. I was quite fond of the Thunderbird SC, particularly in white, back at that time.

Old 12-06-19, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I've never been much of a Ford fan, but this talk of the SHO reminds me of one of my favorite Fords of that era, the Thunderbird Super Coupe. I was quite fond of the Thunderbird SC, particularly in white, back at that time.

That was also one of the least-expensive ways to get an honest V8 with an American nameplate. The 2-seat Thunderbird, which replaced it in 2001, was vastly-overpriced with dealer-markups.
Old 12-06-19, 07:57 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes me too! Back then I always turned my head when I saw one of those, they looked so sleek for its time.
Old 12-06-19, 08:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That was also one of the least-expensive ways to get an honest V8 with an American nameplate. The 2-seat Thunderbird, which replaced it in 2001, was vastly-overpriced with dealer-markups.
I do recall that they added a V8 a couple years in to that gen of the Thunderbird, but I don't think they offered the V8 on the SC, did they? The version I am thinking of had the supercharged 3.8 V6.

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yes me too! Back then I always turned my head when I saw one of those, they looked so sleek for its time.
The parents of one of my junior high friends bought one when they first came out and I remember being very jealous.
Old 12-06-19, 08:27 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

The sporty Super Coupe came with a supercharged 3.8L V6. The more luxury-oriented Thunderbird LX was the one with the 5.0L V8 from the Mustang (which was actually 4.9 liters...shhhhh).
Old 12-06-19, 09:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
The sporty Super Coupe came with a supercharged 3.8L V6. The more luxury-oriented Thunderbird LX was the one with the 5.0L V8 from the Mustang (which was actually 4.9 liters...shhhhh).
I wasn't just referring to the Super Coupe verson, but the T-Bird in general. If my memory is correct, they also offered a turbo-4 in some versions of the T-Bird, but it had problems and was not successful.

That-generation T-Bird also had a Mercury Cougar corporate brother, but it was replaced by a smaller, Ford Contour-based successor, and then dropped.
Old 12-06-19, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the Taurus, a Chinese version of it is still (apparently) in production in that country.....it has only been dropped in the U.S.

Here in the U.S., the dropping of the Taurus means, of course, that the police (once again, as with the Crown Vic), will have lost a substantial part of their new-vehicle-choice. Unless they choose the police-spec Explorers, Ford will have lost that market to Dodge's Charger and Chevy's Tahoe.
Old 12-06-19, 10:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Back to the Taurus, a Chinese version of it is still (apparently) in production in that country.....it has only been dropped in the U.S.

Here in the U.S., the dropping of the Taurus means, of course, that the police (once again, as with the Crown Vic), will have lost a substantial part of their new-vehicle-choice. Unless they choose the police-spec Explorers, Ford will have lost that market to Dodge's Charger and Chevy's Tahoe.
They just move on to something else. Ford Explorers are very popular as police vehicles.
Old 12-06-19, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
They just move on to something else. Ford Explorers are very popular as police vehicles.
Most of the officers I've actually talked to miss the Crown Vics more than anything...they still haven't forgiven Ford for dropping it. Yes, they have (or had) the Taurus and Explorer replacements, but their real love was the Vic. Some police departments, of course, gave up on Ford altogether and ordered Dodge Chargers or Chevy Tahoe.

It also must be remembered that, in most cases, new police cars, in fleet-purchases, are not ordered by the rank-and-file officers themselves, but by politicians, police-chiefs, and those in high administrative positions.
Old 12-06-19, 12:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Most of the officers I've actually talked to miss the Crown Vics more than anything...they still haven't forgiven Ford for dropping it. Yes, they have (or had) the Taurus and Explorer replacements, but their real love was the Vic. Some police departments, of course, gave up on Ford altogether and ordered Dodge Chargers or Chevy Tahoe.

It also must be remembered that, in most cases, new police cars, in fleet-purchases, are not ordered by the rank-and-file officers themselves, but by politicians, police-chiefs, and those in high administrative positions.
The new generation of police officers will have no recollection of the old Crown Vics. Not everyone is gonna miss them.
This really is about the original Taurus BTW.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-06-19 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-06-19, 02:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I wonder how many officers actually hold a grudge against Ford for dropping the Crown Vic? As Jill mentioned, most younger officers probably don't remember it or don't think too much about it.
Old 12-06-19, 02:29 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default SHO Engine rides again

SHO engine rides again!
Old 12-06-19, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wonder how many officers actually hold a grudge against Ford for dropping the Crown Vic? As Jill mentioned, most younger officers probably don't remember it or don't think too much about it.
My guess is nobody really cares.
Old 12-06-19, 05:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My guess is nobody really cares.
Totally. There will be pros with the newer cars anyways. More safe is just one of them

Quick Reply: 1986: Back when the Taurus Ruled America