Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X7 Review...one of the most impressive vehicles I've driven in a long time

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-19, 01:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
You must have owned a GX before. What was your experience with the GX to make you feel this way about it?
A coworked leased a 2015 GX for three years. There isn't a single sophisticated bone in the GX, everything about it feels old and mediocre.
Old 12-11-19, 01:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
Your posts are some of the most idiotic I've read on any car forum.

I keep my cars for a long time. There is a local independent shop that specializes in BMW's that I use for other cars. They straight up admit that the newer BMW's are built like crap compared to the pre-2013 stuff.

You also seem preoccupied with lease rates. Monthly lease payments cover depreciation so that the owner can drive a more expensive car for a preset period of time for less cash outlay AND so the residual can be predicated accurately at the lease expiration. Lower lease "payments" for similarly-priced cars indicate the dealer is betting with his own cash the car will be worth more in X years. Which is precisely what a residual is. A GX will be worth more after 3 years as a % of its purchase price than the X3.
Aww, no need to get your panties in a bunch. I get it, you like the GX, but for me life is too short to drive a lethargic geezer mobile.
Old 12-11-19, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Your posts are some of the most idiotic I've read on any car forum.
your point of view is noted but not appreciated - debate points of view and facts, no personal attacks please.

I keep my cars for a long time.
good for you. others don't like driving old vehicles. no right or wrong.

You also seem preoccupied with lease rates. Monthly lease payments cover depreciation so that the owner can drive a more expensive car for a preset period of time for less cash outlay AND so the residual can be predicated accurately at the lease expiration. Lower lease "payments" for similarly-priced cars indicate the dealer is betting with his own cash the car will be worth more in X years. Which is precisely what a residual is. A GX will be worth more after 3 years as a % of its purchase price than the X3.
makes sense and it does allow lexus to offer low lease rates on the the gx. i almost got one a few years back but the old 6 speed transmission, the awful gas mileage, rear barn door, and other outdated or missing features meant i couldn't pull the trigger. but sure, the gx will get you where you want to reliably for decades.

an x7 must feel like an advanced alien spaceship compared to a gx.
Old 12-11-19, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

A GX will be worth more after 3 years as a % of its purchase price than the X3.
This would be correct. The highest resale value is Toyota body on frame trucks and SUVs, followed by Lexus BOF. Leasing Toyota and Lexus vehicles make no sense. IMO If someone were to keep a car a long time, a Toyota or Lexus is the right thing to do. If leasing, there are so many wonderful alternatives that are good for the short term.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-11-19 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-11-19, 02:55 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

BOF vs Crossover threads need to be closed.

It blows my mind how people are literally telling others they're wrong for their opinion.

And WTH do people care, anyway?

I wouldn't touch any BMW with a 10 foot pole, but I can see why people would lease them. Even if someone wants to keep an X7 as long as it will last, more power to them but I won't envy their repair bills.

Americans like BOF vehicles, as they are by far the most popular vehicles sold here....get over it if you don't like that FACT.

Old 12-11-19, 05:34 PM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your point of view is noted but not appreciated - debate points of view and facts, no personal attacks please.
I never attacked a person, only his posts. Surely you understand that, while we are all entitled to our opinions, coming on a Lexus forum and calling the most reliable midsize luxury SUV currently produced "junk" over and over is basically trolling.
Old 12-11-19, 07:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I just got my MT in the mail and the X7 was an SUV of the year contender....

They liked how fast it is but basically said it doesn't drive well and has terrible body roll...and it's a unibody, not a BOF. And they hated the grill which I think looks really good.
Old 12-11-19, 07:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
I
They liked how fast it is but basically said it doesn't drive well and has terrible body roll...and it's a unibody,.
That is quite interesting. I would expected better comments about driving. Definitely did not think I would body roll comments like that.
Old 12-11-19, 07:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is quite interesting. I would expected better comments about driving. Definitely did not think I would body roll comments like that.
They mentioned it a few times and listed body roll as a negative in their column, and even said it's so bad that it makes the vehicle feel faster than it already is. (?)
Old 12-11-19, 07:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Indeed is the case: I will say, very surprised to here body roll comments.

MT X7

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-11-19 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-11-19, 08:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Indeed is the case: I will say, very surprised to here body roll comments.

MT X7
Styling and interior look great, I love the grill. But MT also said it's tiring to drive bc of the body roll.
Old 12-11-19, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

But MT also said it's tiring to drive bc of the body roll.
Well, then, they need to just slow it down a little in the curves and don't wrench the steering wheel so hard. These are not sports cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-19 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-11-19, 08:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, then, they need to just slow it down a little in the curves and don't wrench the steering wheel so hard. These are not sports cars.
I'm pretty sure they were talking about just running around in it, like an owner would do running errands. Not necessarily hard driving.
Old 12-11-19, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'm pretty sure they were talking about just running around in it, like an owner would do running errands. Not necessarily hard driving.
Even with a relatively high center of gravity and tall-profile tires, most recent SUVs I have sampled don't have very much body roll unless you really push them. And modern traction/stability systems (and, in some cases, roll-control systems) have addressed the tipsies even more. Still, to a large extent, I stand by my earlier comment....if one wants a sports car, then they shouldn't be driving an SUV.
Old 12-11-19, 08:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even with a relatively high center of gravity and tall-profile tires, most recent SUVs I have sampled don't have very much body roll unless you really push them. And modern traction/stability systems (and, in some cases, roll-control systems) have addressed the tipsies even more. Still, to a large extent, I stand by my earlier comment....if one wants a sports car, then they shouldn't be driving an SUV.
Agreed. It doesn't seem like this X7 "drives like a BMW should."

Quick Reply: BMW X7 Review...one of the most impressive vehicles I've driven in a long time