Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Question about being a lease cosigner.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 03:20 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The dealer probably won’t be able to help you, you need to call the finance company.
it's probably even more to do with the dealer just not wanting to help lol

either way this is a very crappy situation... big time no good deed goes unpunished right here
Old 12-08-19, 03:25 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts

Obviously not a lot of Judge Judy watchers here.
Old 12-08-19, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I’m still astonished somebody would do this to a friend that was so magnanimous as to co-sign on their lease. Wow.
It may not have been deliberate. One cannot always know in advance if one's job is going to be suddenly lost. I was fortunate enough to have a well-paying job and career where major layoffs were rare, and job security is almost taken for granted. But that is not the case with everyone, particularly in today's economy, which essentially treats labor as a commodity.
Old 12-08-19, 04:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Bad situation and a lesson for me.
You’re a pretty nice person. I would never do such a thing.
Old 12-08-19, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It may not have been deliberate. One cannot always know in advance if one's job is going to be suddenly lost. I was fortunate enough to have a well-paying job and career where major layoffs were rare, and job security is almost taken for granted. But that is not the case with everyone, particularly in today's economy, which essentially treats labor as a commodity.
Sure, but he should have contacted Och before he missed a payment so he could preserve his credit by making the payment himself. The issue is not that he lost his job, the issue is he let the lease default before he bothered to give his co-signer a heads up.

No excuse for that
Old 12-08-19, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sure, but he should have contacted Och before he missed a payment so he could preserve his credit by making the payment himself. The issue is not that he lost his job, the issue is he let the lease default before he bothered to give his co-signer a heads up.

No excuse for that

Agreed....I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

That's also not he only problem here. Late on the notice or not, his friend is also out of a job, and needs to find employment. That, ultimately, of course, is not Och's problem....his friend, not him, has to find a job. But, the sooner his friend finds new employment (particularly if he gets a comparable or better job) the sooner he can start to help compensate Och for any lost money and hit to his credit-rating. That's only fair.

You, yourself, of course, went through something similiar recently with your relatives and their attempts to sell their house.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-08-19 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-08-19, 05:27 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

No excuse for that
Low blow for sure. Someone is nice enough to co sign and then doesn't have the courtesy to alert you. This person would no longer be a friend if he ever was one to begin with.
Old 12-08-19, 07:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Turns out he made November payment, and his December payment is due next week, so I might still be ok. I have the car and will be in touch with bmw and insurance tomorrow.
Old 12-08-19, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Turns out he made November payment, and his December payment is due next week, so I might still be ok. I have the car and will be in touch with bmw and insurance tomorrow.
Thats a big relief!
Old 12-08-19, 08:03 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Back in May or June of 2017 I acted as a lease cosigner on a BMW for a friend. He didn't have enough credit to get approved for a lease, so he asked me to cosign and I did. He called me today saying that he lost his job and did not pay for his car for the last two months and wont be able to pay for it going forward. His insurance is expiring next week and he is not renewing it, and will return the plates to DMV. His lease however is only expiring in May or June of next year.

Am I likely to be on the hook for the rest of the payments? Also, he will have to return the plates to the DMV, and has nowhere to keep the car. If something happens to the car while its not insured, am I likely to be on the hook for it as well?

Bad situation and a lesson for me.
Yes. Tough lesson learned.
Old 12-08-19, 08:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
some friend. he may be in very bad straights, but he should definitely have come to you BEFORE he stopped paying. sorry to hear about that.
You are looking at this all wrong.

A real "friend" would never have asked for a co-sign at all. A real friend would not put someone in that awkward situation to have to say "no", and would have leased a car he could actually afford.
Old 12-09-19, 06:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You are looking at this all wrong.

A real "friend" would never have asked for a co-sign at all. A real friend would not put someone in that awkward situation to have to say "no", and would have leased a car he could actually afford.

sounds like you haven't had friends or relatives in tough situations.​​​​​​ one loved one in my fam became memory impaired and could no longer drive. Had a leased vehicle... no way out. Another fam member drove it until the lease was up so it sort of worked out, but was a challenge. Other fam members are broke now and then and need 'loans'. What do you do? Loan once and if they don't pay back that's it, no more? People definitely need to learn lessons but some times the right thing to do is help.

as for Och and his friend... maybe a lease wasn't the best thing to co-sign on, but it may have been the cheapest option although friend possibly could have gotten a beater used car for less probably.

Old 12-09-19, 06:46 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Why would your friend who has poor credit need a BMW?
I’m not against supporting friends in need but i sure as hell would not cosign on a new BMW, whats wrong with Kia Rio for $99 month while fixing your credit.

You have 2 options at this point.
1) make remaining payments and turn in car asap so at least you are not wasting $$$ on insurance.
2) sell the car outright and hope sales price covers buyout price. This is highly unlikely as BMWs usually have inflated residuals.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-09-19 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-09-19, 07:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I dont think the issue was POOR credit, it was NO credit.
Old 12-09-19, 08:34 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I dont think the issue was POOR credit, it was NO credit.
Poor credit or no credit - plenty of cheaper Cars to lease until you either repair or build credit history.

Quick Reply: Question about being a lease cosigner.