Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

After many years of Toyota ownership, I finally got my hands on my favorite Toyota an

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-19, 03:36 PM
ginessls43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After many years of Toyota ownership, I finally got my hands on my favorite Toyota an

I've owned Toyota/Lexus models exclusively over the past 20 years or so and I have always been a proponent of Toyota whenever possible for my parents, siblings, friends, and extended family. I can say all of them lived up to the Toyota name and I cannot think of any other company in my mind which gets my business with such little hesitation from me. Some were hand-me-downs, some bought used, and some new:

1993 Lexus SC300 (2JZ-GE)

1995 Tercel

1998 4Runner (5VZ-FE)

2002 Lexus LS430 (3UZ-FE, sold with 305K Miles )

2002 Tundra (5VZ-FE sold with 250K Miles)

2006 Lexus IS350 (2GR-FSE)

2016 Camry (2AR-FE)

Plus about 7-8 other toyota/lexus models I pushed on to my parents and siblings over the years .

I recently have sold my Tundra and LS430 and am down to the Camry while waiting for the Tesla Model Y to begin deliveries. Once here, the Camry will go as well. It really was a tough decision for me but electrification is the way forward for me and my family. The Toyota Hybrids just don't do it for me, even if Toyota is planning on bringing a Turbo V6 Hybrid Land Cruiser 300/Lexus LX to the States, I just can't see myself owning an ICE well into the next decade. Because of this, I recently picked up the Toyota that started it all for me, which was the Toyota 70 Series like my family had back home. One of my earliest memories of a car as a kid is sitting in the back seat of the 70 staring at the Altimeter and Inclinometer. I found one which was imported in to the US and will keep it as long as I can to remind myself on why I love Toyota. It will keep a part of me analog as we go digital.

1985 LJ70 (Prado, also called Bundera in South American Markets)

2.4L 2L-T 4 Cylinder Turbo Diesel, 12V system

5 Speed Manual, 4WD

Left Hand Drive

Originally from the Netherlands

Old 12-09-19, 07:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

What exactly is wrong with ICE cars that you can’t own them anymore?

Gas is still cheap and new vehicles are more efficient than ever.

EVs are niche vehicles that have many compromises, not to mention cost way more.

To me what makes Tesla special is not the part that’s an EV. It offers a truly great driving experience that is unique and sporty. The tech in the cars - cameras, NAV, autopilot is more advanced than any other automaker.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-09-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Perhaps ginessls43 is looking to save the planet.
Old 12-10-19, 06:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Perhaps ginessls43 is looking to save the planet.
maybe he hates bowing down to oil companies and hates stopping at gas stations.

maybe he has solar panels and pays zero to recharge.

maybe he doesn't wanna fart with the maintenance of a gas burner vs basically zero maintenance of an EV.
Old 12-10-19, 07:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Gas is still cheap and new vehicles are more efficient than ever.

EVs are niche vehicles that have many compromises, not to mention cost way more.

To me what makes Tesla special is not the part that’s an EV. It offers a truly great driving experience that is unique and sporty. The tech in the cars - cameras, NAV, autopilot is more advanced than any other automaker.
I can't agree that EVs cost way more. To me, it costs less. My $55k Tesla runs 3 seconds to 60 and has no scheduled maintenance costs. In my 8k mike experience, I've spent $0 on maintenance and $350 worth of electricity. Overall, it seems like a good deal to own EV for many (not all).
Old 12-10-19, 07:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
your $55k Tesla - guessing Model 3 - is comparable to $35k ICE car.
Plus Tesla has horrible leases, inconvenient to charge daily, unable to go on roadtrips, Interior quality is below grade, only 2 Interior colors etc

Like i said - huge compromises at a higher cost but you do get cutting edge tech.
Old 12-10-19, 07:51 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

^
your $55k Tesla - guessing Model 3 - is comparable to $35k ICE car.
Plus Tesla has horrible leases, inconvenient to charge daily, unable to go on roadtrips, Interior quality is below grade, only 2 Interior colors etc

Like i said - huge compromises at a higher cost but you do get cutting edge tech.
Really. Let me know which $35k has the same performance. I challenge you.
Old 12-10-19, 07:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell

maybe he doesn't wanna fart with the maintenance of a gas burner vs basically zero maintenance of an EV.
LOL

Right bec these batteries are so wonderful for the environment. The materials to make them are so pure.
The factories that built them are so green and the cars themselves get transported around the world on a magic carpet without emitting 1 drop of pollution.
Old 12-10-19, 07:57 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

LOL

Right bec these batteries are so wonderful for the environment. The materials to make them are so pure.
The factories that built them are so green and the cars themselves get transported around the world on a magic carpet without emitting 1 drop of pollution.
Baby steps, baby steps.... and I don’t even have a horse in this race.
Old 12-10-19, 07:59 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Really. Let me know which $35k has the same performance. I challenge you.
I’m not referring to 0-60 blast but the class of car.
Tesla 3 is entry level luxury compact sedan with a subpar interior worse than u get in 20k rental.

To most ppl - its not worth the money for all the inconvenience compared to a cheaper ICE alternative.

I think Model 3 is great dynamically and performance but styling, luxury features, fit/finish are all subpar.
Add the hassles that come with EVs and right now its not a car i would buy.
Old 12-10-19, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yet he also drives a 1985 LJ70

Originally Posted by EZZ
I can't agree that EVs cost way more. To me, it costs less. My $55k Tesla runs 3 seconds to 60 and has no scheduled maintenance costs. In my 8k mike experience, I've spent $0 on maintenance and $350 worth of electricity. Overall, it seems like a good deal to own EV for many (not all).
so 8k/mi. at $350 is the equivalent of about 50mpg, great, but not a huge savings. performance definitely awesome though, but that's not important to a lot of owners/drivers.
Old 12-10-19, 08:47 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I’m not referring to 0-60 blast but the class of car.
Tesla 3 is entry level luxury compact sedan with a subpar interior worse than u get in 20k rental.

To most ppl - its not worth the money for all the inconvenience compared to a cheaper ICE alternative.

I think Model 3 is great dynamically and performance but styling, luxury features, fit/finish are all subpar.
Add the hassles that come with EVs and right now its not a car i would buy.
I could argue Model 3 is an entry level sports sedan and is top of the class in terms of performance/price for that segment. Also, you may not like the interior but the material quality is good and is no worse than any Caddy ATS i've been in. Its not as good as Lexus or the Germans but its a decent interior for a $40k car (which it mostly is). Your issue is that you don't like the design but lots of people like the simplicity and its subjective. Overall though you lose context when you say EVs are more expensive than ICE. Thats not true. For $55k, I have an M3 level performance with Corolla operating costs. I could argue the Model 3 is easily the most value in its segment which means that EVs are CHEAPER relatively than their competition.

so 8k/mi. at $350 is the equivalent of about 50mpg, great, but not a huge savings. performance definitely awesome though, but that's not important to a lot of owners/drivers.
If I drove my IS350 like I drive my Tesla, i'd be getting 5mpg and still be slower I have an issue when people automatically assume that EVs are more expensive than their counterparts when in reality, there are segments where EVs are cheaper and provide more value. Just providing a counterpoint.
Old 12-10-19, 10:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

willing to bet its not a daily driver tho.

LOL

LOL, ok you're right - oil companies are green!!

Last edited by bagwell; 12-10-19 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
If I drove my IS350 like I drive my Tesla, i'd be getting 5mpg and still be slower

With all due respect, I don't see what that proves. For that matter, if you drove your Tesla like you did your IS350, maybe you would get better range.
Old 12-10-19, 12:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With all due respect, I don't see what that proves. For that matter, if you drove your Tesla like you did your IS350, maybe you would get better range.
It proves that even if I drive like I stole it, my fuel consumption is equivalent to a 50mpg car. 50mpg on a 500hp car is insane.

Quick Reply: After many years of Toyota ownership, I finally got my hands on my favorite Toyota an